Winter Plants Blooming - Show us photos of your blooms.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1325758/#post_9722741

Thumbnail by sunkissed

This is my white Holiday Cactus covered in buds and a few blossoms are coming out now.
Locoluna gave me the red maple flower plant. It is like the one you gave me Bonnie, but the flowers are all red and not yellow and red.

My Russelia sarmentosa-Firecracker bush is in full bloom now, always looks the best in December.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Sunkissed,love the pictures of your flowers.

Cody

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful pics Sherri! :-)

Took a few pics from the yard today. My Bird of Paradise is blooming for the first time and found a green anole hanging out on the bloom. Azaleas are opening up for their winter show as well as the Blue Sage, Eranthemum. The Golden Lobster Claw heliconia continues to bloom.

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219

Shauna,yours are pretty too.

Cody

Shauna nice to finally have a bloom on the white bird of paradise. I have a young plant, only three years old and it hasn't bloomed yet either. I found a green anole in my umbrella the other day when I put it up. Nice to still see some around. All my azaleas are blooming too, and tons of buds on them.

More blooms, Red Geranium bud, Red firespike, pink Geranium, Bloom on my cordyline, purple firespike bloom.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

My birds are a few years old and I was really surprised when I saw the bloom. I wasn't expecting one this soon.

Good to know Shauna...gives me hope. My plant sure has grown a lot this year. I do think the warmer winters help too.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Queen's Tear Bromeliad up close.

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Never saw yellow heliconias before. Mine are dong well for the first time. Have spread and are blooming for the first time.

Love all your pretty flowers Sherri and Shauna.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

My Tibouchina opened up this morning

Thumbnail by shauna1219

Shauna I see Bromeliads like that on my morning walk, glad to know what they're called, they are so pretty. I had to cut my poor Tibouchina way back since it caught a mealy bug infestation back in Sept., so no blooms on mine.

My White Holiday cactus now fully bloomed out, and a desert rose bloom. About to get more flowers on my purple Devil's trumpet, and the seed pod finally cracked open after this picture.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sherri,
Those seeds from the purple trumpet will start new plants very easily. Sometimes when mine just drop into pot there in they grow new ones.
Cactus looks beautiful.
Adenium (desertrose) is beautiful too.
This is really unusual weather we are having. I had better be quiet or tomorrow it could be freezing.

Good to know Bonnie, I was told to cut the pod off to promote more blooms, but have three people wanting seeds, so I left it, I have three more flowers on the plant now, so glad I left it.

I'm so loving our warmer December, and every morning walk around with my camera in my hand and photograph the glorious blooms. I too should be quiet since it has been 42° the past two mornings here, but supposed to warm back to 80's again in a few days.

More blooms to share there were taken 12-14-13

Oh and look how tall my cherry tomato plant is, almost to the top of my trellis.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Simply beautiful Sherri!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna that Queen's Tear Bromeliad is outstanding. I love the color contrast, just beautiful.

sunkissed: Oh to have a tomato plant like that, I'm jealous. I can't seem to grow a tomato for nothing since I've been back in FL. My plants are done for now, just took off the last cherry tomato yesterday.

Jan

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

A few blooms taken in the yard today.

Azalea, Easy Does It Rose, Blue Girl Rose and my Bird of Paradise more open.

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna

I could just picture the colors in you yard, I would never want to leave my yard if it had the plants that you have share with us here.....

Jan

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

It's hard to leave, Jan, believe me! LOL

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

That blue rose is just beautiful. Don't think I've ever seen one. I should visit your yard I'm sure I'd learn a lot.
MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

So shauna when is the next garden tour??? LOL Count me in.

Jan

Beautiful roses Shauna, I agree with Bonnie the blue rose is spectacular. I gave up on roses a long time ago, just have knock out in my garden.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

My yard is nice, but it doesn't even come close to Bonnie's! I still have lots of work to do even try to compare with the beauty from Bonnie's yard.

Here is the Blue Girl fully open.

Thumbnail by shauna1219
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Bonnie's yard has been very neglected the past few months. When spring comes there will be a lot of weeding and fertilizing to do.

I am hoping after Christmas to get to work on my pool which right now looks more liked a cesspool which younger ones probably don't know what is but country folks do. I plan to drain it all and hopefully repaint it. 40,000 gals. of water to go. Back yard soaks it up fine. No plants there so it's ok. I'm sure there is no chlorine in it now anyhow.

Thanks for the compliments Shauna. When you come up again you can help yourself to anything in the garden that I have 2 of and of course would try to root anything you like.

Time to hit the shower as I'm finished baking pies now. Made a great spinach dip also in a hollowed out mountain bread. I will have to try and control my eating or we'll need the truck to haul me home.

YOU ALL ENJOY A BLESED DAY TOMORROW.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sending Christmas blessing to all.

Jan

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Woke up yesterday and found a "surprise" bloom open...the white/purple morning glory.. I have a bunch of different MG seeds that I direct sowed against a fence in the yard and that is the first bloom of that type that I have gotten.

Also, the yellow/red hibiscus had a nice open flower today.

Shauna

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna

already commented on the MG, but that hibiscus is a beauty as well, gosh I love that one.

Jan

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

My Red "Christmas" Amaryllis. She had bloomed a couple weeks back but I left her outside & unprotected over a couple mid-30 deg nites & the flowers died.
So I brought her inside & this is what I found Christmas AM.
The shorter striped one has been blooming constantly for weeks.

I need to go back tot he store & see if they are on Clearance now and get a few more.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

Pink Turks Cap Hibiscus
Hibis-Kiss
Camillia Tree is full of blooms.

Thumbnail by Qwilter Thumbnail by Qwilter Thumbnail by Qwilter

I do hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

Shauna, what a nice surprise and beautiful morning glory.

And Qwilter a gorgeous Hibiscus, I'm getting lots of blooms on my hibiscuses that I bought on clearance last December at Walmart.

Nice to have some rain this morning, even though I should be out walking off some Christmas cookies.

Do you all look at Pinterest? I got this idea from there making a Christmas tree with clay pots.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Like that tree idea.....................evn better, put some soil in the orchid pot & have th plant on the outside. And I do have a pile of sizes of unused orchid pots.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Beautiful blooms all. BTW I noticed my pink turk's cap is also blooming.

So much is blooming I kind of hate to think of the cold that must be coming sometime this winter.
Have lots of birds in front yard. I'm waiting for the eastern bluebirds to show up. Our nest boxes Charlie built he cleaned out so they are ready for new tenants.

Carolina wrens, titmouse, blue jays, doves, and Mr. & Mrs. cardinal are here.
I'm for the birds that's for sure.

Cute pot tree Sherri.

I've been re-filling my small feeder every couple days. It has "pressure sensitive" perches so only the small birds can feed w/out the openings closing. It has 6 perches & usually all 6 are filled by the chick-a-dees with more waiting in the bushes for their turn.
Had 4 Cardinals in the leafeless tree yesterday. Pretty enough to be a painting.

I really do need to get some birdhouses up. Just need to figure a good spot. Maybe off the back chain-link fence? It is protected & I rarely see the squirrels on it - thy prefer the top of the wood fence.

Qwilter, that sounds like a good idea, but I have trouble getting orchids to grow the right way...LOL.

Bonnie I remember the blue birds last year. I'll have to come sit a spell and watch them with you...I never see any here.

Rain all around us today but seems to be passing us by.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Very light rain showers off an on this morning. Dealing with sinus pressure this morning moving very slow.... off for some hot sweet tea with almond milk.

Jan

I was going to put "regular" plants thu the holes of the Orchid pots.Things that don't reguire much water or care.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Even though Sunday was my only day off of work and I really wanted to get out and work in the yard, I loved all the rain that we got. It was the first decent amount of rain that I have gotten in at least a month...rain barrels are no longer dry!

The Dutchman's Pipevine is still going strong and has countless blooms on it. My Tibouchina blooms are opening in pretty groups.

The last picture (I believe) is a bloom on a pumpkin vine that seeded and started on its own!

Mental note...don't put the leftover pumpkin scraps/flesh/fruit in the compost bin before really breaking them down or smashing them into smaller pieces...LOL

Hoping everyone has a Safe and Happy New Year!

Shauna

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Once up north we had a volunteer pumpkin vine in compost pile and it grew to 68 pounds. We made lots of pumpkin and froze it for pies.
My Dutchman's pipe hasn't died back yet but no blooms right now.
Dwarf tibochina plant out back next to pool screen is loaded with blooms.
This weather has the plants really mixed up. Duranta is blooming like crazy still.
We did get a good rain here yesterday and it did a lot of good.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow, everyone's pics are beautiful! Happy Holidays & A Happy New Year everyone!

Blurry Spin the Bottle HibisKiss
Pansies, violas and a variegated English ivy
Amaryllis Magic Green
New Guinea Impatiens with coleuses that were a gift to me

This message was edited Dec 31, 2013 3:43 AM

Thumbnail by coastalzonepush Thumbnail by coastalzonepush Thumbnail by coastalzonepush Thumbnail by coastalzonepush

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.