ID these pods please

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

As you can see they are on the jatropha matafida? Are they seed pods and should they dry on plant for later start up?
Thank you, Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sorry clicked too soon. Here are pics.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

yes, bonnie, Jatropha multifida seed pods. let them dry. they'll actually fall off when they're ready. super easy to start.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

My jatrophas always shoot their seeds when I am not expecting them to. Like debi says, they are easy to start but catching the seeds can be tricky. I have had good luck bagging the pods so they can't get away.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks everyone. Think I'll bag them and see what happens. Possibly someone might want some plants.
Always preparing for next RU.
Merry Christmas all.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Marry Christmas to you Bonnie!

Speaking of the RU...are you thinking about holding it at your house again this Spring?

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna,
Hadn't even thought about it. Sidney was thinking about one in Okee.

Of course if anyone shows interest I'd be glad to host one. It would be my third and I just have a great time. Remind me before April. Got a mind like a strainer.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm enjoying my 76 birthday today. Dgt. & grand dgt. started the day by taking me to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.
This afternoon I am going to a Christmas parade in Groveland considering I missed ours in Clermont. Love all the school bands.
Enjoy all the goings on of the holidays everyone.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BONNIE!!!!!

Hope you have a WONDERFUL day!!!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

happy Birthday to the young lady, Bonnie, I would offer to help if you want to hold the RU in 2014, now that I'm close by I could come early and help you with what ever you need help with. Please say you would be willing????? LOL

Looking forward to meeting yall in person at a RU.

Jan

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you Shauna & Jan. Any day that I get away with dong very little is a wonderful day to me.

Sure Jan as long as I'm walking I would be happy to. We do have to draw a better road map for Shauna. LOL I'm never going to let her forget trying to bury their vehicle in an orange grove which is very easy to do. Ask me how I know. If that had been my husband he would have turned around and gone home. I'm sure glad you didn't and came on.

This morning I made a couple of pies and for a change I made my own crusts. Hadn't done that for years. I figured if they failed then I'd go buy some. BUT they are flaky (like me) and melt in your mouth. BTW found a very good blueberry U pick patch not far from me in Groveland. They open up in April so I hope to remember to go there and pick as I am a blueberry lover. Jan that's not real far from you if you like blueberries.

Well looks like a have 1 more gift to get. I will get up early tomorrow morning and hit the road.
I don't usually let things go till the last min.
Charlie says he is going to make his famous sweet potato pie so I gave him the receipt and told him to make his own crust. He also makes good carrot pie. I don't care much for either but the kids and he do.

Hope you all have a really happy Christmas.
Bonnie

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Bonnie I wish you and your family and very blessed Christmas.

Will look into Groveland, I'm only a blueberry lover when they are in muffins...LOL

Jan

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Jan,
I also love blueberry muffins. Heck, I love anything blueberry.

Bless everyone this holiday season and as we go into new year.

Bonnie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL Bonnie! After that fiasco last year, I know how to get to your house now and will not make that mistake again!

Blueberries also go great in pancakes! :-)

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

Shauna

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for reminding me. Time to make a batch of pancakes so will add blueberries. I make a bunch and freeze them too.
Everything I read about blueberries says they are good for you so I'll keep eating them. When I was a kid I really used to hit our neighbors blueberry patch and fill up. I often wish I had planted some when we first moved here. Also a pecan tree for Charlie.

I was told a man up in Howey-in-hills has an olive tree small grove. Got to find out where and check that out. My father said they always grew them in Italy. Would love to try growing some.

As we look toward 2014 may we all have good health and good gardens.

Bonnie

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the well wishes for 2014, and right back to ya gal.

I think I'm not a fan of blueberries due to my nephew who ate mostly blueberries when he was a toddler, and guess who was on diaper duty.... Now I'm sure yall will see my desire to stay away from them...LOL

Jan

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Tracks,
OK they fell into a mesh bag I put on plant. I'm referring to jatropha multifida.

Questions: do I cut pods open and put seeds out to dry or wait until they shrivel or some other sign?
Want to try and start some.
Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Jatropha multifida seeds started turning black. Curiosity was killed me so I peeled green hull off and inside was a very hard nut, so gently cracked that with my hammer and inside seed is shitish yellow and not so hard. Now is this was gets planted or are there small seeds inside.
Can you tell I'm very anxious to learn how to start this plant.

Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

Bonnie

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i always just let mine fall to the ground and they would sprout where they were. i never cut them open. it seems to me that they are supposed to turn black and then the seed inside ripens and it goes from there. honestly, i can't remember much more than that.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Please excuse typo. They are whiteish yellow large seeds inside of green hull.
Debi what you said makes good sense to me. I will leave the other 3 alone and see if they turn all black and dry out and then I will investigate what's inside. The one I already peeled I am going to crack that next shell open and see if there is just 1 seed inside or 2.
I have researched this on the web many nights and I'm getting no where. Most info. is on jatropha that produces oil seed which I also have. Ah the joy of experimentation.
1 friend said she soak's hard seeds in warm water for at least 8 hrs. I'll try that too. Hope something grows after all this effort. If the cold in the next 3 nights doesn't kill it I should have more seed pods as there is another blossom forming now. I covered it pretty well with blanket.
Thanks much for help.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i would take the three good ones and bury them half way in a small pot of soil and just mist them once a week to emulate humidity outside. actual watering would rot them. bring them inside during the cold spell.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I will try that also. Thanks for the suggestion.

We are in for a few cold nights. Hope many plants make it through.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

mine will all be fine. tender potted ones are in the garage; tender in ground ones are blanketed. the rest will suffer through! lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.