Huernia schneideriana looking wrinkled

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I received a Huernia schneideriana. It looked great and grew a lot over the summer in full shade in Phoenix. Once the temps reached 110 + It showed some burn on the tips and some wrinkle. I pulled it inside and it has been in suspended animation ever since. Is it just dormant? Do I water at all? How do I get it plump again?

Thumbnail by 2ndChance Thumbnail by 2ndChance
Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Maybe its a Stapelia. I can't tell the difference.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

From other pictures I've seen, that doesn't look like H. schneideriana, as it's not spiny enough. If it's from Dete, it's probably Orbea malanantha. I got some from him last year and as it's gotten bigger, purple splotches have developed on it; they're more prevalent at this time of year it gets direct sun. I wouldn't recommend direct sun in the summer, as it's too intense and many of the stapeliads grow in the shade of bushes in their native habitat. Mine get indirect sun in summer and direct sun in winter and some have been there for several years and are thriving. I water daily, year-round, but just a little, as the timer is set for 4 minutes on 1/2 gal per hour drippers. Where in Tempe are you, as I'm almost on the Tempe border near Broadway and Dobson; maybe you could come over some day to see my collection of stapelias and I could share some cuttings.

Thumbnail by frogymon
Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

2ndChance, it was nice to have you visit yesterday, even if just briefly. We decided her wrinkly plant is Orbea malanantha. The offer still stands if you decide you want some cuttings.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I put it outside in full sun and lightly watered it. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

R.I.P. the tops dried up so I watered it and it turned mushy at the bottom and fell over. I cut off the longer piece to try and root it. How long should I let it dry?

Thumbnail by 2ndChance
Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

At least 3-4 days. I have several cuttings already rooted, if you want one, pm or call me.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have the same problem with some Stapeliads (particularly Orbeas and Huernias) as you 2nd Chance. They are all wrinkly and I water and then they rot at the soil line. I have trouble getting them to root also. I hope you have better luck.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

I've had good luck using rooting hormone, probably around 80%-85% successfully root. As to rot, sometimes only part of the plant rots and the rest thrives, not sure why.

Arlington, TX

I am trying a few of these plants and one has black tips. I cut that off but it keeps coming back. Too much water or what. Mine are in under lights for winter. I bought 4 small plants and all but one cutting seems ok. I read not to water in winter but I have given small amounts.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

newton, can you post a picture of the black tips? I've never seen this problem and usually too much water results in rot at the base, at least in my experience.

Sun lakes, AZ

I have a huernia hystrix that is doing the same thing. Not sure if it’s wrinkled because of the drastic change of environments going from the east coast to Arizona or I underwatered it. Maybe a combo of both, it isn’t dead but the stems are shriveled and rubbery. Is there hope?

Thumbnail by Chicaconelpelo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.