Dec. 2013, Happy Holidays!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I have a photo of my Hall's Honeysuckle on the arbor and it's still green!

We came from here. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1340034/

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Not much greenery here .,scenery is a little bare .lol a very nice end to November weather wise
Nice setting for the plant , comfortable looking ,,
Sitting and watching , waiting for my next set of ideas ..

Saying hi all ....

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Up to let the dog out and see frost on the neighbor's roof top. Back to bed. Times like this, a doggy door would be nice! LOL

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

My trailing blackberries still have green leaves.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

There really isnt any green around here right now. No snow either tho! I do not think there is any in the forcast either. Wow greenbrain that was an awesome surprise form your husband. New laptop. Score! We got our tablet in august we both really like it lots. Congrats on your new electronic item ;) always fun. They have really come down in price lots. Yes will that is a nice pic of the dinner on thanksgiving. Glad you had a good time. Hello to you juhur7 also! Nice to the posts in the december thread. Have a good evening all.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Was outside planting , Apple trees today .. more goodies for later ,,
The asters and goldenrod look like a dried display with their fuzzy pods and golden brown stems , nice winter look to all that. It was nice to see while walking around outside .
Miss all that when it is not there ...
A beautiful December 1st , 52 degrees , ground thawed for a few minutes of gardening . Could not ask for better .. Wonderful !!!^_^

Hi back to gardenlady ; Snow is pretty . not as fun when one was a youngster.. It will come in a while ..

This message was edited Dec 1, 2013 8:23 PM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Snow coming in here later this week. They are apparently having trouble tracking it but it appears it's gonna accumulate.

Thanks gardenlady, I had a good time on Turkey Day. Oh, your Blackberries still have green leaves eh green, mine too.

For anybody that bet that I'd post a photo of the tv on the wall today, you won the bet! But you gotta split the proceeds with me like we talked about!

Next is Christmas, so if my temp job works out I'll have some money to buy presents!

Years ago, I made my Grandma a doggy door for that very reason, so she wouldn't have to let the dog out all the time. It was fairly easy though, the old porch door was made out of wood, I just used a jigsaw and put a thick rubber mudflap there for the doggy door.

It's warmer here too ju, and forecasted so far to start the week even warmer. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast

Boy, have I got some raking to do soon!

It will sure be cold enuff for snow later in the week.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yeap its suppose to snow here over the whole weekend. My son would love to have snow when he comes home for Christmas. He lives in Texas now. In Fort Hood. Will be fun to have him home.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

34°/45°/35°
Rest Of Today...Cloudy. A 40 percent chance of light rain. High in the mid 40s. Southeast wind 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight...Cloudy. A 20 percent chance of light rain in the evening. Low in the mid 30s. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.

Betty,
How awesome to use your own squash for a pie! Weird looking thing, LOL! Is there edible ''meat'' in the neck of it?
Awww, sweet girls!

Pepper,
What? No rambuncious nephew? I'm glad you had a good visit with family.

Ronna,
I've gotten some shopping done too and need to wrap before it gets ahead of me or I run out of right sized boxes, LOL!

Will,
Any money is good money. I hope you get on permanant at a job you can like.
How awesome to eat with your grandparents. Does grandpa have the chess set in his room?
Poor old people in the nursing homes, that aren't happy :o(
The cactus does look wonderful, as do all your plants.
Tomorrow you'll get the TV. CRACKED ME UP!!!
Ah, so that's why you painted the wall.... smart move and it looks great!
Thanks fo the new page!

Oh Betty,
What an awesome husband and gift!
I love butterfly houses!

Ronna,
It will be great to have your son home and I hope it snows by then. It's December, I have green grass. It should be all snow.....

Well, Thanksgiving was wonderful! All the food came together at once, so no waiting for potatoes to get done, etc. The kids ate pretty good, played well and we kept all four so DD and SIL could go to town. They came back for the twins and we kept the boys.
I had them look at the Toys'R Us site and all they want are games for the WII and hand held DS thing. Yes, I am not sure what it is. Maybe Nintendo, LOL!
We took them shopping Sunday for shirts that I will keep for Christmas, new boots, gloves, thermals and suits for their programs. They look so handsome dressed up!
Then, we ate at the new ''Buffalo Wild Wings'' place they opened up. HOT wings, but they were good! The boys had burgers and fries. They gave each of them a Tablet to play with till the meal was over. That was wonderful! The place was crowded, noisy and hopping! The wooden chairs were really comfortable. We took them home, got home by 2:30, had coffee, quiet time and I slept well even tho we are both getting the boy's colds..... It was inevitable....... But none were sick for Thanksgiving!

I hope we get rain even tho I need to hang bows and the last bit of garland out.

Have a beautiful Monday!!!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow Billy you are a busy lady.
Will I love the idea of the doggy door. We could not have that cause we do not have a fenced in yard. She would be out in the road, I know it.

Nephew stayed home with parents. His mom wanted to do dinner with just her family. Saw him Saturday though. His smart mouth about got smacked. lol. I'll spare details but just say he got off easy. lol

The comment about old folks in nursing homes reminded me of a movie I watched last night. It was a Christmas movie and this guy had to go play santa at the home there in this small town. Everyone but him knew what they wanted which was for him to strip down and put on a show for all the grandma's there. LOL.

Hi billyp! Yes, he has a Chess set in his room but we go down to the game table in the game room. Thanks, I hope my cacti stay happy and the one at my grandparents' house too I hope.
Thanks, that tv is up and running, when my friend gets mad at me she always lets me have it about all my painting she says, "you always got to be painting on something!". She knows it's good home improvement though, she only says that when she's mad and has nothing else to say! lol

Well, my temp job is going good, it can be pretty boring. Everyday I clean and bag up around 200 dvr and non-dvr units for Time Warner. Today for example, I did about 225 dvr units, just picture each one about the size and weight of a vcr. I need to take a radio though. Luckily for me, it's one of the few jobs where you can listen to music if you want.

Oh, that's funny, "his smart mouth about got smacked", pepper says!
I better be careful around pepper! lol Hehe, I'm not making light of it, little kids can say some pretty stupid stuff! I remember when I was a kid I got hit many times and even had my mouth washed out with soap and it doesn't taste good!

Yeah, the daily life in an old folks home must really be boring. I can tell, they're always looking at the visitors, poor people, they never have much new happen. Like my Grandma said just the other day, "same thing every day, I just want to stay in bed". It's kinda hard to visit with them, they are always napping and they go to bed at 6:00 in the evening!

Boy, the temperature is really dropping off here! - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast

Oh, that ol' doggy door was nothing, Ronna, thanks though. I just cut a mudflap sized hole in the plywood porch of my Grandma's house and put a mudflap there. It wasn't really much of the same doggy door as on a real house door, that'd be quite a job.

My friend here and me are the same way, pets should be in the house or in a fenced yard at least, they could run away outside or get hit by cars outside.
Will

This message was edited Dec 3, 2013 7:42 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Don't have but a few minutes & I'm off to work, but had to check in. I should have time tonight to catch & comment. Yes, the entire neck of the trombone squash is beautiful orange flesh. I just keep cutting off a section as I need it. I have plenty of seeds; if you'd like some for next summer.

If I didn't have to worry about the cats escaping, I'd consider a doggy door. Thanks for the tip Will. Your grandparents are blessed to have you in their lives. : )

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ronna,
I can honestly say I've been more busy than not and I don't even work. Things just kept coming up, LOL!

Pepper,
I knew he was a ''little rowdy,'' but I thought he would outgrow it. Just as well he ate at home..... I can see I would have liked to smack him too, and that's without details, LOL!
ROTFL over the movie!!

Will,
It's good to go to the game room. Keeps your Grandparents social. They like that in the homes. Me, put a computer in my room and leave me alone except to call me to dinner, LOL!
Smiling over your friend and how she handles her anger. Besides, you do a good job and it sure spruced the wall up.
Good for your job! Maybe you'll get on full time.

Betty,
I have no room to plant squash, yet, but thanks for the seed offer. Maybe someday I'll figure out more garden space. It sounds tasty tho. Who could resist eating a trombone? LOL!

Well, I still have to finish decorating the house. We get a real tree so won't get it till two weeks before Christmas. Then the poor thing has to go out Christmas day so it doesn't burst into flames or into a pile of needles. This is our last nice day and we have fog ''rain.'' It's wet out there, but not pea soup. I can see into the field across the road.

Have a good day all. We're in the middle of the week already.

Have a good day all!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes it is really dreary here the last two days too. No sun at all. GLOOMY. Will your job sounds great. I have never worked in a factory. I have always been in the food jobs. They always sound unusual. Hope all are enjoying the days and getting ready for tne holidays.

Thanks Betty, I'm glad to be able to visit them. I visited with them so much earlier in life that they remember me and don't hesitate to have me over now to visit, I'm no stranger.

Thanks Sally, not to toot my own horn, but I take the time to do a good job on projects usually. My friend here knows if I take a shortcut or use something cheap and she'll let me know afterwards.
For ex., I used a level and a studfinder, I mean I had my handyman old man hat on!
A tv wall-mount like that is incredibly easy to do yourself.

They like me at my temp job, again, not to toot my own horn but I've never been late, never missed a day and I do the job adequately. But getting on permanent doesn't have very good odds. The place is closing in 1 to 2 months and they then are contracting it out of state. 95% of the people there now are likely going to lose their jobs, I'm not sure why they even needed a temp, (me).
There IS a possibility that I can apply at other company locations in the area, I may be considering that.

Ronna, it's not really a factory, it's more of just a warehouse with a little factory-like work going on in it. I suppose it's kinda like a factory in a way, it's a lot of warehousing, shipping and just storage mostly though.

A food worker has a lot of options in the food industry. A career in the food industry can really be successful. There are so many options to choose from in that field like restaurants, cafeterias, waiting tables, executive and sous chefs, servers and more stuff I'm sure. Look at Gordon Ramsay, he's worth 80 million dollars! - http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/richest-celebrity-chefs/gordon-ramsay-net-worth/

My Dieffenbachia/striped Wondering Jew experiment is going good! - I plan to be aggressive on keeping the Wondering Jew trimmed down so it has a fuller, bushier look, and not let it grow and get all stringy.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

bp, I grow my trombone squash in a 5' x 5' bed on a 6 ft trellis. I'm an urban gardener that has no way to go but up!

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

It's doing some kind of sleet/rain thingy outside & I'm getting ready to leave on my 5 block trek to the bus stop. Should be interesting. Take care & be back tonight!

Happy Thursday. : )

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

21°/21°/9°
Today...Blustery. Much colder. Mostly cloudy. High in the lower 20s. Northwest wind 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 30 mph. Wind chill readings to zero.
Tonight...Colder. Mostly cloudy in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Low around 9. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Wind chill readings to 5 below.

Ronna,
I love gloomy days. It means I don't have to do anything, but maybe watch tv, read or just putter :o)

Will,
You have your foot in the door so step on thru. A job in the hand is money in the pocket!
Very nice experiment :o)
Nice Betty!
I have garden space, but not alot. I do have a pea fence and a cucumber fence. I may have to look into more up right gardening. We do stake and cage our tomatoes. Boy does that save space! But potaotes and spinach take room The spinach comes out, but then green beans go in, LOL. Cabbage takes space too. It gives me something to plan this winter.

Well, I need to go look at the weather forcast. DH said 7'' are heading our way. I better see it myself :o)

Have a beautiful day everyone!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

bp, I also get more than one crop from the same space. It sounds like you have a nice little garden. I also love to plan my garden in the winter time. Just when I feel like I know enough, I learn something new & very useful. I read through the same garden books & magazines every winter and notice something that I didn't pick up on before. This year, I'm starting my onions from seed; instead of buying bulbs. Pepper inspired me to try it.

We were on the lean side of the snowfall; maybe 1 inch. Further south got the worst of it; including ice underneath.

By the way, I didn't have to walk yesterday. My hubby has started giving me a ride to the bus stop meaning that he gets up earlier just for me. : )

Happy Friday and stay warm!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Aw, gb thats so sweet. Sounds like somethjng my hubby might do for me. ;)

Yeah, it's money in the pocket and rent, it's all good. The place is closing so I don't think any prospects of getting on permanent will work out. Oh, billyp has a bit of gardening space, a while back I marveled at all her watering cans in this pic. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8701152

Yes, nice hubby, gb. I look out the window when my friend gets in her car to go to work at 6am, to make sure nobody carjacks her in the driveway, that's got to count for something! Not that there is carjackers around here, but folks have skulked around in the bushes and been up to no good I hear!
Where is that pepper, happ and ju?!

Will

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I'm thread lurking . I don't have a lot say .. Good to hear hear most of you are patient with one another and enjoying as to that .
Needing some imagination here .. not much doing ...

Some snow,some seeds , some sprouts .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Been lurking here, posting there and generally been busy. Work has been busy along with everything else.

Ok, who hogged the snow around here? News keeps saying snow but I have yet to see a single flake. I want my snow!! lol

Hi ju and pepper, you lurkers you! Is that first pic of snow from recently, ju?! I like the seeds and sprouts. I have alot of seeds to plant next year thanks to ju and pepper! That is alot of seeds there at the ready, ju!

Haha! There was just around a quarter inch or less here Wed. morning I believe. Not really enuff to look nice but enuff to make the roads a little treacherous. The forecast is for a 100% chance of snow Sunday here. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast
It may have went away that morning but I go to work at around 6:30a is when I saw it.
Will

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Will.. the snow pic was from this morning ,
The seeds are for paying back the DG seedbank

The sprouts are for my fresh winter greens . always has to be selfish motivation there someplace .lol
I have some sprouters made though for trying more herbs .. don't have as many as I could use .. Problem happens from so many flowers , I like them but it takes away from the things I grow to eat ) Something for me to work on .. Like the yarrow is both , herb and flower ..

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Morning we got a very light dusting of snow overnight. It is only 18 this morning... cold. We are going out for breakfast later and then a huge arts and craft show at a local arena later. They have everything under the sun. Im sure I will find some fairy things. My hubby is going he has never been to this mad house. My shopping is almost done glad for this. The two son in laws and my son are the hardest for me to buy for. Will get thru it tho. Have a great saturday. Keep warm.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Been watching a hawk out the kitchen window eating a small bird for the past 30 minutes. Didn't occur to me until now to take a pic. I don't know if it's still there, but I got to get ready now to help put up the tree & decorations at church, so no time. Will check back later.

By the way, we got about an inch or 2 of snow here. Not enough to create an inconvenience, but enough to cover everything. With the cold temps, it's not melting, just glistening in the sun.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

More light snow this morning and in the low 20s with high upper 20s. My grand-daughter is so pleased with the snowfall.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cold here about the same , little few flakes of snow today , gray day I ate a radish sprout . I did not expect those to be so strong of taste .. Wow !!! are those a surprise ...lol

Sprouts in home scrounger sprouter ..lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

A "home scrounger sprouter", it looks like a dish that I'd use too! I have something like that underneath this Strawberry Geranium/Begonia! - Mine might be a dish from Fazolis, I don't remember, I've had it for awhile. I brought that plant up here because I intend to get new plants from those babies soon. - pic #1

Here's what the ground out the front door looks like here. It's COLD and pretty white. pic #2
That was a dusting too, I don't know the exact amount, I haven't heard.

Boy, the Chiefs really stuck it to the Washington Redskins today, 45 to 10! Dwayne Bowe will probably smoke some weed after this game! That was a joke, he got caught with weed in his car a couple weeks ago by the police! lol

My eyes are watering just thinking about you eating a radish sprout!

Did you find some faery things, Ronna? That would kinda be fun shopping for that stuff.

I have yet another pic of my plants overwintering in the basement! - pic #3

I don't think my Rubber Tree is going to start from a leaf cutting, it seems to just be having the bouquet effect on my 2 Rubber Tree leaves, one in water and one in soil, neither have roots.
It does however start from regular cuttings I read but it looks like I'll only get 3 or 4 cuttings right now. -
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/rubber-tree/propagation-rubber-tree-plant.htm

In this fifth pic you can see the big Rubber Tree, with the catgrass on it. That lower big branch on the right of it will provide the cuttings, it is a big branch. I could kick myself for pruning it way up about 3 years ago! At the time it didn't occur to me to get cuttings but I cut a LOT off of it then!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

A dusting here too.

I had to attend a baby shower for one friend and another one of her relatives went into labor this morning. Just had her baby boy a bit ago. Very exciting day!! lol

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Aw yes new babies are so much fun. My great niece is a sweetheart. Now a year old. Time flies so fast. Someday maybe we will be grandparents. Waiting is hard.
Will like the pics of the plants. Ju gotta admit when I seen the sprouts I thought it was a great big cake or something yummy. Haha. Neve ate or grew them.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gardenlady The radish sprouts help with sore throats , sniffles , you know , the stuffie's this time of year ,
Because they help with breathing , they help keep you cool too ,, wrong time of year for that ,
When I first read yours ..lol I thought ,, what ? she never grew or ate cake before ,, huh ? what???
Tell I am really with it today ,,, woo we ...lol

Will Love the Ficus, I use to try them when I room or patience ,
Never was to good with Begonia ,, any of them .. pretty plant , it sure is ..

Congratulation's to someone on the baby boy!!! How about it pepper are you godparent ???
Godmother pepper .. has a ring to it ! here's some snow for you ..

Thumbnail by juhur7

LOL. Nope, not a godparent. It's the neice of my best friend who had the baby yesterday. They are friends though. This is their fourth child. All of their kids are great too. I love seeing them.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Pepper made a big impression on my gr=d. She was only 2 & 3 when she met Pepper at the roundup and when Pepper visited St. Louis, & Chloe still remembers her fondly. There are some people that kids naturally take to because they can see the goodness in them. : )

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes green that is so true. ♥♥♥♥ so very njce that you and pepper actually got to meet. I have met several dg from a swap I used to go to twice a year. Very nice folks. Really for a snow picture?? Heres one for you. Doesnt look like much. But it is about 6 incbes. Was only 10 when I left this a.m. at 530.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123

Thanks ju, I went to Home Depot last nite and bought a bag of MiracleGro to pot up some Ficus cuttings and other stuff, it's a big bag.
Nice snow pictures! It looks like there will probably be a white Christmas in MI. We sometimes have a white Christmas, it's about once every 3, 4, or 5 years it seems. It's plenty cold on Christmas but a white one is never guaranteed. Bernie from Minnesota also sometimes posts big snow photos, there is usually plenty there too. We've gotten big snow before here but it isn't that common really, it seems like there's more worry about ice and the overall cold temperatures that come with Winter here. Well, at least on Dec. 21st the days start to have more daylight, you can bet your milk and cookies on that!
Yes, that pepper is a nice lady, we've met several times.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi gardening buddies! Don't have much time, but just had to stop in & say "Happy Hump Day!"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.