Weather Watching #4 Winter 2013/14

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Brrr winter weather is here. Who knows what the rest of winter will bring our way? NOAA says it's a toss up between mild and severe. So I'm going with the Wooly Bears!

We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1330816/

Thumbnail by coleup
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, coleup---winter surely has reared her head....but i am an optimist
....(sometimes......:o)

Because I still have to put away all my patio furniture & cushions, I BELIEVE that--
in the coming week(s) there will still be a sunny, warm day so I can do this.
I also BELIEVE that there will be a less windy day so I can suck up all the
leaves that continue to blow into every corner of my yard.
They are NOT mine!!! I cleaned mine up a while ago. Doing their thing in black
trash bags. Two years from now--they will be rich earth.

For those of you who remember, I once needed an ID on these HUGE, Maple-like
leaves that my front lawn keeps collecting. They were ID'd as from the London Plane tree.
They hide! Floating around like big parachutes...Under my bushes and in my beds...
I have quite the collection of them by now. I have still to find the tree they come from.
It has to be, somewhere, behind the houses across the street from me.

Today, It is cold--but a gorgeous, sunny day! My indoor plants are loving all the light!
As long as the sun shines bright, I can, actually, venture out in just my sweat shirt
for a few minutes.

Put out a BIG plastic saucer as a bird bath in my usual concrete BB's spot.
Put a brick in the center--as a squirrel jumping on the edge would topple it.

Off work today--catching up with "housey" stuff--like laundry. Need to vacuum--seriously!
Doing the "avoidance behavior" again......Oh, well! :o/

Gita

My plants by the big LR window--loving the sun today
My collected, dried up London Plane Tree's leaves.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hopefully we will get a break in the cold, my glads are still in the ground, and Holly will need JR or one of the boys to get them out quickly.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Tricky weather today and tomorrow, Lots of rain here .Stay safe everyone and Happy Thanksgiving!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm going to do my best to stay inside--although I do need to make a run to a grocery store for a few things.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from CatMint20906 :
I'm going to do my best to stay inside--although I do need to make a run to a grocery store for a few things.

You, me and everyone else!!! Why does everybody need to buy more food, should it not balance out, does everybody really eat 3x as much food over this holiday as any other time? Um yeah I guess we do! Decided to go to Wegmans and make a gift basket for sis and bro in law.

And yes it POURED here overnight

LOL Sally! The yucky weather outside right now is definitely making it hard for me to do my grocery store errand--especially when it's warm and cozy inside...

wegmans was busy but it was fun anyway shopping with my daughter. Don't go on a tight budget but do go for endless selection of tempting goodies from all over… 8 ^P
got a 99 cent bag of flour

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful.... Yep, feels nice and cozy in here with the wood stove going.

watching the weather for tomorrow and planning to do NOTHING outside the house. eek it looks nasty.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.... About 2" accumulation here already. Hanging out in the basement getting the bins of Christmas decorations out with the wood stove keeping it nice and cozy.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly went out to do all her chores early this AM. She then went shopping, that shouldn't be too crowded this early. Snow is falling and very fine, the kind that goes on and on. The chill from the last 2 nights is permitting it to accumulate and it appears as though it's coming from the east.

Snowing here, too... My daughter's activities are cancelled, so we get to enjoy a nice relaxing day at home. Fingers crossed we all keep our electricity!

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

snowing hard here; about 2 inches already

sticking to the roads too

glad Harry dug up some cannas and dahlias a few days ago

Been snowing steady here. I got some outside decor hung.

snow has turned to sleet...

indeedy. I went out for a bit, the roads slushy, traffic light, and weather not fun! Avoiding crowds in store= fun

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly came home about an hour ago and said the roads are slicker than sheet. We have about 2"s of powdery snow, with the hard surfaces glazed underneath.

You all better be home now for the night, all of you...I also went out again briefly, around 4 15, and it was much slicker.

Hope you are safely in for the night now, too, Sally!

oh yeah, nothing to get me out any more tonight. No precip for now but another big blob on radar coming up from Roanoke.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I worked until 5PM.

Car was covered by at least 3"+ of snow.
Roads were treated--but slushy in the less traveled lane.
A light ice-rain falling all along...

Got home--and shoveled my walkway from the street---driveway
--and then to the house. Better now--then tomorrow when all this turns to ice.
Heavy snow. The kind that is idewaal for making a snowman....sticks to itself...

Stay safe--everyone! Gita

should have shoveled our walkway - good for u G.

not looking forward to tomorrow morning commute

Thumbnail by wind Thumbnail by wind Thumbnail by wind
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sleet and ice, just a drizzle. I'm only opening the door for Alfie.

gosh Diana, look at that snow, and it's only December.

we lost power for 4 hours overnight but thankfully it came on again in time for morning coffee! Today we are lucky: no school for my daughter and unscheduled telework for me.

For all of you who have to be out on the roads this morning--stay safe!!

The ice on my trees is beautiful--but only if I don't have to go anywhere. Stay warm and safe today, everyone!

Thumbnail by CatMint20906
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thought i would show you some of my Nature's "decorated" shrubs...

1--Iced snow on my Hemlock
2--Yew
3--Juniper
4--Looking across the street
5--Looking at back yard neighbor;s houses...

A heavier snow predicted early tomorrow---Bummer....

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal

Winter Wonderland, Gita! :-)

Things have melted, but yes there is the unsettling question of tomorrow... 8-o

Fingers still crossed--warmth, safety, and electricity for all!!

Very pretty Gita. I wanted to grab photos myself this morning but didn't. Everything was ice frosted. Now it's melted. And I did think, maybe tomorrow it is going to happen again...My yard is now a slushy swamp.

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I had to go out to see a patient in this mess yesterday evening. I passed three accidents on the way to his house and its only about 6 miles from here. It was really nasty. Today I had to go see three patients out in Germantown and lights were out. It was nasty this morning but now the roads are pretty dry. I'm on call tonight so I'm just praying I won't have to go out.

snow predicted for tomorrow for us too. 3-5 inches... and during work hours!! ugggh

oh yehudith, it was terrible out last night. I hope you don't have to go out.
Our roads were dry today. Baltimore Intellicast says snow starting 10 am. That might be enough to cancel school- really cold, and snowing from 10 am till 3 pm. It's January out there already.

As of 6 a.m. school is cancelled and the government is closed! I came downstairs at 6:30 and there was nothing, 6:45 the road in front of our house is covered. My husband just left for synagogue and took my car cause it has 4 wheel drive. I have one patient to see at 10 but she's out in Germantown and the way the snow is coming down now I'm going to reschedule. She's not an emergent case so why risk my life.

As an aside, I'm watching President Mandella's funeral right now. They just had our president's speech. I know a lot of conservatives don't agree with them or their policies and that's their right but I'm so glad to have lived to see the day Mandella walked out of prison. I was standing with one of my patient's who had been born in the Jim Crow south and watched it on TV. I had a lot of friends who were from South Africa both black and white because the university I had graduated from was an international school. I was also in the unique position of having an uncle who was in the British military and had participated in the native opression in India and Africa and was haunted by it to the end of his days. I have several aunts and uncles with medical practices there and how this happened I don't know and uncle who was an arch bishop. I was under no illusion when it came to apartied and knew full well what that moment meant. Just like the shot that was fired at Concord that moment was a shot that was fired around the world. Thank G-d we're even though its moving slow we're moving onward and upward.

I have very few house plants, just a fridge filled with potted up lilies and some baby hellebores that I'm going to plant in the spring. I'm thinking of taking advantage of this rotten weather to clean and set up my plant stands and get them ready for the february seed sowing. I think I'll also try to renew my Mother Earth garden subscription and start planning for next year and order some catalogs. What else productive can I do? Oh yeah, I can order some birdfeeders and deck clamps from Amazon.

hi, Yehudith. We also will be hunkered in at home today, with school and government offices closed. (Do you work for the federal government? I do, too! HHS.)

Hope everyone is warm and safe today!

Naw. Hubby used to do a lot of government contract work until the sequester and then the shutdown really finished off what was left. I don't think people outside of this area or in the military really appreciate how much damage those two issues caused. I can't believe the numbers of people just from our neighborhood who aren't back to work yet. I'm also seeing it hit with my patient population. Many are veterans who receive my company's services. They are having a harder and harder time of it.

I too hope everyone has enough sense to stay off the roads unless they really have to go out. If I have any patients calling in I plan pretty much to just have them go to the ER unless I can resolve their issue over the phone.

I went to bed with two different forecasts saying the snow would start around 10 am. It was started by 7 and school and my work are closed today. Good time to make cookie dough for cookie exchange in few weeks, but I might not have extra butter.

I'll confess , one reason or another, I never gave much thought to Mandela. We have a local black ex-politician who now has a radio show. I respect him very much, and he talked about Mandela a lot. So I learned a lot this week.

I went shopping yesterday, so I won't mind staying home. Between hobby supplies and housekeeping there is enough to keep me busy for years if I'd do it.

Got to pass this along. I just ordered a bunch of bird feeders and stuff on Amazon, love their free shipping and sales. Anyway I checked out their Azomite. I got a small bag last week and wondered if I could get a bigger bag. 44lbs for $59.00 and free shipping. OMG I just love having things dropped on the doorstep. Lets see, payday's this Friday...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.