CLOSED: Christmas Swap 2014: Happy Holidays Unwrapped

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

at linda k's huse

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

:)

Ocean Springs, MS

Must be Linda Kay's because she got it! LOL

Y'all have a great day! Next question will be posted later!

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Hahaha! Well, there is snow on the ground already. And I have started making cookies. I tried two recipes I haven't before and both have flopped. :( at least the peanut butter ones were yummy! Anyone care to share a time tested favorite cookie recipe with me? I need to get my groove back

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81
(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

My grandmother made these when we were little, and we helped, helped ourselves to half of them as we were rolling them in the powdered sugar. When my boys were young I continued the tradition. Now that they are grown, they still expect the cookies when they stop by during the holidays. It is a simple recipe, and tastes wonderful. The only problem is that they are extremely short and can fall apart when you roll them. Darn, more to pop in your mouth.
I will offer this tip, don't let the dough get too warm, or the cookies will flatten. Not a problem except they are harder to roll.
If I can only make one cookie for Christmas, this is the one.

Pecan Snowball Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup Land O Lakes® Butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
Powdered sugar
Heat oven to 325°F. Combine all ingredients except powdered sugar in large bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl occasionally, until well mixed.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 18-25 minutes or until very lightly browned. Cool 5 minutes; roll in powdered sugar once while still warm and again when cool.

Ocean Springs, MS

That's a great cookie! Melt in your mouth!

Ok... next Question: Where in the world is the official Christmas gift giver The Three Kings?

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

If my buddy lives where mistletoe grows I would love some. They charge us a fortune for it here.

I have a great craft show coming up I am so excited to have my name. I am ready to shop!

That would be the Phillipines, Los Tres Reyes Magos. But the funniest one I found is the little old lady who rides a broomstick on the Epiphany and delivers candy to the children in Italy. She is called La Befana.

Joyce, I have a bunch of mistletoe in my trees. It does not have berries yet, usually not till January. I will pick some and send you a box!

Send me your address please?

Ocean Springs, MS

Here's a link to making a mistletoe kissing ball.
http://www.southernliving.com/home-garden/holidays-occasions/how-to-make-a-mistletoe-kissing-ball-christmas-decoration-00417000076540/
I plan on making 2! One for me and one for my buddy!:)

Ok! Rouxcrew, the official answer was Spain; however, after doing more research, the Phillipines did traditionally use the Three Wise Men! You got it! : )

Question: Where in the world does Babouschka bring gifts to children?

Russia

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Yuck Joy, that's what we had here yesterday. Now all we have is clouds, the temp and the winds. Bbbrrrr!

My hackberry is loaded with mistletoe. Let me know if you want any - as Kathy said, I can "Shoot it out of the tree!"

Can't wait to see all the pretty pressies!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

It was a Spanish explorer that discovered Philippines and named the archipelago after King Philip 2, that's why you see many Philippinas and Philippinos bearing Spanish names, speak some Spanish besides their native language, Tagalog, and they are dominantly Catholics. So, of course Spanish tradition trickles down in Philippines, even though most of them adapt more to American 'behaviour' due to WW2.

Can't contribute towards mistletoes Joyce. None in the woods, but sometimes there'd be transients selling them in shopping centers during the holidays.

Thanks for that recipe Joy, it sure looks easy to do.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh, joy I love those snkwball cookies.. so yummy. They do melt in your mouth. When I make them at work peps love them. ♥♥♥♥♥

Julie I make those kissing balls all the time. I use wooden skewer to poke holes in the v Styrofoam ball. Cut a bunch of mistletoe and hotglue them in place. Add the ribbon and your done.

Ocean Springs, MS

Taters, You got it right again! You are now "retired"! LOL What I mean is that you are so far ahead the others that you win the first prize! YAY! : ) Can you preserve the mistletoe balls if you just hot glue them or do you have to make new ones each year?

Jaye, thanks for the info! I'm learning a lot from this game. Please continue prayers for those in the Phillipines! ♥

Ok, few more questions about Around the World, then gonna switch it up again Saturday!
Question: Where in the world are children’s presents left next to their pillow on Christmas night?

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Oh love that mistletoe ball. Shooting it out of the tree, how funny. Never heard that.

Would it be in the Ukraine?

Ocean Springs, MS

Not Ukraine! Try again!

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

That recipe sounds great! You are stumping me with these questions though! :)

I ended up making a batch last night. Dave got antsy and grabbed some too soon to roll in the powdered sugar, and they disintegrated. I told him to just dump the crumbs in the sugar and fished them out in a bit with a strainer. They were still great. But the damage was done, and he walked out of the kitchen, swearing he was bad luck. LOL

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Surprisingly Japan, Julie. Guess most of the apartment dwellers don't have room for a Christmas tree standing in their very tiny living room.

Self serving message here:
My address is listed, and I'm willing to be your tester if you're making some Pecan Balls :D

The mistle toe will dry up and crumble. You will have to make a new one for next year!

Ocean Springs, MS

Jaye, you got it! Wonder how they fit those Nintendos, Xboxes, and Wiis next to their pillows! LOL

Ok! Question: Where in the world is it traditional for children to decorate their Christmas lists with pictures and then leave them on the windowsill overnight?

Love you all and wishing you the Happiest of Thankgivings! ♥

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

HAPPY TURKEY DAY TO ALL i lOST YOU ALL WAS WAITING FOR POST ON THE LAST THREAD . Lost is found .

GERMANY

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

My package is on its way to.......???? Sure hope they like it like I do. Excited.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Quote from froggies_girl :
Wonder how they fit those Nintendos, Xboxes, and Wiis next to their pillows! LOL

Julie, the only Western type beds that I saw when I was in Tokyo were the beds in our hotel room. Most Japanese sleep on futons, laid out on their tatami mats. To save space I guess, besides being traditional. When not in use, the futons will be rolled up.
On account of this practice, ex declined our Japanese friends' invite to stay over at their apartment.
He said it's rough sleeping on the floor as he did his duty in the war!! Lol!!

This message was edited Nov 29, 2013 3:31 PM

Joyce I got my box today. Oh my. I love all you sent.
First off is this beautiful sweatshirt appliqued with beautiful roosters and an angel pin. Sorry they are sideways. Posting from my phone.
Second is this beautiful angle! I put some Christmas fabric behind her so it would show up better.
Then I got a package of hot chocolate, a package of snowflakes and a pocket tissue holder.
And a pair of aloe infused socks. I love these socks. And the beautiful card Joyce made.

Thanks so much for a wonderful package Joyce.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55

So sorry. I posted on the wrong thread. This should be on the keep me warm thread.

Ocean Springs, MS

Hello, all! Sorry you got lost, Deejay, but you got the question right! : )

Did any of you get caught up in shopping today? I went to Michaels for some craft items and yarn! a madhouse! Won't do it again! :(

Taters, no problem posting on the wrong thread, and everything is beautiful!

Ready for the next question: Where in the world is it customary to enjoy a sauna before Santa’s visit? (I'd like to be there! LOL)

I gots my package!!!!! Thanks so much Crystal, this really made my day! I have had a rough few days, my main squeeze, Fuse, who is 14, has been diagnosed with cancer of the spleen and my vet only gives him a month at best. (Deep breath) and we are hosting our annual winter sheepdog trial this weekend. I have been super busy with turkey day and getting the farm ready. So when Dave came back from the front gate this evening with an unbelievably heavy package, I was surprised and thrilled.
She packed so much awesome stuff in this box that I couldn't get it to come close to fitting back in it after I looked through everything. And it took a while. It is full of homemade jams and other great eats. I already hit the brownies, and threatened Dave with his life if he even looked at them. I am heading to bed because we start early in the morning and I have to make a batch of maple bacon biscuits before we start, but I will do my best to get a picture tomorrow after the first day of trial.
Thanks so much!

So sorry to hear about Fuse Joy. Sending lots of ((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

Can't wait to see what's in your box.

Ocean Springs, MS

Joy, so sorry to hear about Fuse! Sending lots of love and hugs to you! Can't wait to see your goodies! Have a good time hosting the trials! ♥

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

My santa 's Gifts arrived Today from "Gardenlady123" I Recieved a Much needed Kitchen Towel & a Magnet 2014 Calendar for the Frig . but best of all is a Handmade Bronze Wired Mother's Messy Birds nest With Emerald Green beads From Silver Linnings By Jackie Drewyor.

Thank you Ronna for sharing This Little Elf was Happy With all Santas Gifts :)

Thumbnail by deejay9
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Yeah!!! I got my box from Susie and it was PACKED!!!! Holy COW!!!!!
4Pointsetta pplacemats
1 Noth Carolina Britches
1 scrubbie
2 tea towels (snowman)
1 knitted flower (am I suppose to take this apart?)
pkg of 4 cheese spread knives (Christmas themed)
pkg of mehanical pencils
pkg of felt tip pens
2 5x7 notepads and clipboard
5 little plastic containers (about 2oz)
1 pack of labels
1 Santa toothpick holder (cute!)
1 jar of Mincemeat
1 jar of Almost Raspberry Jam (why the name?) (looks like raspberries to me...lol
1pkg of Christmas Chocolate Bark
1 pkg of Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow (lol..never heard of this before)
1 pkg sugar cookies

Susie..this is amazing!!!! Thankyou sooooo much sweetie!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

And she sent the recipes too. Just loved the packaging of the jelly and the mincemeat, (mailbox and round lidded container (both Christmas themed.....) YEAH!!!!! So fun to open, THANKYOU SUSIE.....HUGS!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

My goodness look at all goodies arriving. Great pressies everyone.

Ocean Springs, MS

Yummy! PLEASE share the recipe for the Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow!
Those beads are beautiful!

Great presents and so much fun seeing the joy of giving and receiving! You all are the best!

Here's the question again: Where in the world is it customary to enjoy a sauna before Santa’s visit? (I'd like to be there! LOL)

Love you all ♥

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Wow, me too!!! I can't wait to get to one soon.
My guess is Switzerland.
Great packages everyone! Even the keep me warm swap! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.