CLOSED: Christmas Swap 2014: Happy Holidays Unwrapped

Ocean Springs, MS

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1340729/

Please Reveal your Secret Santa when you receive your package. All packages need to be Priority Mailed with a Delivery Confirmation number no later than December 14th. If you are mailing breakables, wrap them well in bubble wrap and insure the contents.
The value of the Gifts you send should be around $20, excluding Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation Number. Keep your receipt handy and D-mail the number you use to me. To ensure privacy, please do not post tracking numbers directly on our threads.

Please post a list of your favorite things here. If you've posted, I've included the link next to your name: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1340730/

Froggies_Girl (Julie)* (received)
Rouxcrew (Joy)* (received)
Goldhillal (Crystal)* (received)
Jordankittyjo(Kathy)* (received)
gardenlady123(Ronna)* (received)
Taters55(Linda Kay)* (received)
midwestfarmerwife* (received)
rose318* (received)
Deejay9* (received)
happgarden* (received)
ilovejesus99(sandy)* (received)
warriorswisdomkathy* (received)
Kim_M* (received)
OutlawHeart81* (received)
Heavenscape (Jaye)* (received)
Fruitofthevine(FOTV)* (received)

YAY! EVERYONE HAS RECEIVED THEIR PACKAGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This message was edited Dec 29, 2013 10:29 AM

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

marking me spot

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

God bless you Julie for giving me a great buddy!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

I gots a good buddy too

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

I like buddy also. .

Ok. Guessing 13 stockings.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

I am here, now I'm gone again.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yeap will be shopping soon. Thanks Julie.

Ocean Springs, MS

You are all so welcome! I am enjoying every minute of this!

Ok, Question 8 was how many stockings did I hang on my wall last year?

Taters has guessed 13, but still too high!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

8?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Ocean Springs, MS

Kathy, you got it! I have 5 children, two have spouses, one grandchild(for now), my mom and me = 10! Next year there will be 12 for the new grandchildren!

Ok! I am keeping score! At the end of the "game" (December 14), i will send the top three a special gift! Good luck! The following questions will deal with Christmas trivia from all areas of the world, so you may have to use Google!

Question 9: Where in the world is it traditional to hang a decoration shaped like a spider on the Christmas tree?

I know someone who does this!

Ukraine

Ocean Springs, MS

Wow! That was fast, Joy! Might have to find some harder questions! LOL

Question 10: Where in the world was mistle toe first hung as a Christmas decoration? And why?

This message was edited Nov 20, 2013 6:48 PM

Still look Iooking.
What I have found so far is 1794. It was used by the druid priest given to the people to hang on thier doors to ward of evil things.

I'll try again. In the 1800's, the British hung mistletoe in conjunction with Christmas. Couples who kissed were said to have good luck while those who didn't had bad luck. Charles Dickens wrote about the custom in "The Pickwick Papers".

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

That custom almost got my car confiscated in Mexico one year.
When I lived in San Antonio mistletoe grew on the trees. Unknown by us my MIL pulled a bunch put it in a sack and threw it in the truck of my car. Days later we drove over to Mexico and then of course coming back they wanted to search the car.....well tucked in the back was this sack with this stuff in it...rofl. The border agent had no idea what mistletoe was....or why we had it....so we lucked out and that agent got a different agent and he knew what it was. Now they didn't let us take it back to the US but at least they let us back in...rofl. Thought my FIL was going to have the big one... ;)

Ocean Springs, MS

Good guess, Taters, but they didn't use it on Christmas.

Rouxcrew, YOU GOT IT!

Happgarden, that's a funny story. My kids laugh at me each year when I go looking for mistletoe. The things I do to get some of it! Surprised I haven't hurt myself! LOL

I'll post the next question a little later...

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

SHOOT IT OUT OF THE TREE. I DO

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

I wish mistletoe grew here! But we have lovely holly, I would love to get some if my buddy has any! :)

OMG, we will ship you all you want from TX.

Ocean Springs, MS

Time for Question 11: Where in the world do jólasveinarnir, or “Christmas Lads,” deliver presents?

Haha! Santa's got competition! LOL

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Ah the Yule Lads!!! Iceland!!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

I always accuse DH of being a retainer of useless info, and he told me about the Yule Lads.

Ocean Springs, MS

Jaye, thanks to your DH, you got it! :)

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Lol!!

Ocean Springs, MS

Question 12: Where in the world can you find Jonkunnu dancers celebrating Christmas?

Belize, which is where I wish I was right now instead of 32 degrees with a 20 mph north wind and rain. Which we are out in.

It is cold here too. 38 degrees.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I have been looking for the perfect gift for my "person". Hard when you do not know them at all. I will find something great for them.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Let's see we were single digit this morning and it is horrible.

Ronna. When I get a name that I don't know very well I usually pick up things I would like. So far I have heard no complaints.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

26 here this morning. And the temps are going to go down thru the day.....:( cold With some snow mixed in. Yes Linda thats a good idea. I have done that myself. It does work. I will find something. I think maybe I found something yesterday. Thinking on in. Still have time. Really not to woriied yet! Lol.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Geez--I lost you. I was still waiting for the other thread. Did you post the start of this thread and I just didn't see it?

Glad you found us Crystal! She posted a link for here.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well so far we only got a dusting. 2y to 30 mis away there groj d is covered with the nsty snow stuff.... really cold and windy. We went to a flea, arts and craft and a weavers display. Really nice did not buy to much. I liked the flea markets prices much better. The artsy and weavers were vere pretty but $$$. Gotta give it to the artisans who are so talented...

Ocean Springs, MS

Getting cold here, too! I don't like it!

Rouxcrew, you got it again! Actually, my source said Jamaica, but after doing more research, Belize does it also!

Long day! Had my daughter-in-law's baby shower and boy, was she showered! I don't know how she's going to fit everything in her car for the trip home to Tennessee!

Question 13: Where in the world does the Christkind deliver gifts at Christmas?

Germany

Ocean Springs, MS

Taters, you're right!

I'll post another question tomorrow. Everyone stay warm tonight! ♥

Ocean Springs, MS

Hi! It's been one long, stressful day! Tomorrow will be better!

Ready for Question 14: Where in the world is the traditional Christmas meal known as Wigilia?

Have fun guessing! Stay warm! ♥

Poland

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.