Boston Ivy - will it damage my siding

Centerville, SD(Zone 4b)

Three years ago, I planted two Boston Ivy plants on top of a rock wall to the side of our waterfall. The plan was that the ivy would grow downward over the rocks towards the pond. When the ivy up against the house also started creeping on the foundation I thought it was wonderful. This year, it went crazy and quickly also grew up the entire south wall of the house and around the corner. It is absolutely beautiful and I let it go but now I'm wondering if it is going to damage our siding. Our house is six years old with cement board siding and though I love the ivy though probably not at the cost of the siding. Anyone else have experience with this? It has already grown up to the soffits and next year will try to go up over the gutters to the roof if we would let it. It is really so beautiful. I appreciate your input. Thank you.

Thumbnail by CandiceKay
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

This came from this website:

http://www.smokymountainnews.com/news/item/2294-ivy-covered-walls

Boston Ivy tendrils might damage porous wood surfaces, but will not harm cement board siding.

Centerville, SD(Zone 4b)

Thank you KayJones. That is great to hear. I really do love the way it looks but now I know I just have to keep it in check and enjoy. Thanks for your response.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Did you read the information on the link I provided?

Centerville, SD(Zone 4b)

Yes I did. It was helpful. Thanks again for your quick response.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.