Have you ever waited and waited for just the perfect shot...

Mesquite, TX

focused just right, pressed the shutter and ended up with this?

BIRD BUTT?
I now have so many of these "surprise" shots that I started a separate folder just for giggles.

Add to the string if you like... ;o)

Tufted Titmouse butt
Tern butt
Northern Shoveler butts
Kildeer butt
Canada Goose butt

Thumbnail by TXSkeeter Thumbnail by TXSkeeter Thumbnail by TXSkeeter Thumbnail by TXSkeeter Thumbnail by TXSkeeter
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

;-)

Quote from TXSkeeter :

.... Tern butt ....

Bonaparte's Gull

Resin

Mesquite, TX

Resin... you must have had a strange childhood to be able to immediately see the difference between a tern butt and a gull butt without any other identifying features. Hats off to you! LOL!

Pintail, doing what ducks do . . .

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Butt wait, there's more.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Mesquite, TX

Wait! My bird's butt is bigger than your bird's butt so neener neener!

And this isn't the 'end' of the string either as long as someone has a camera in hand and a bird left in the bush...

Thumbnail by TXSkeeter
Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Is this a new forum, butt watching?

Mesquite, TX

It would have to have a lot more posts to become a full fledged forum. At present, it's only a sub-forum. ;o)

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

Mine also would qualify for the bad bird picture photos - for days we watched a family of Evening Grosbeaks hunting under my truck chassis. They sit under the truck and look up and then fly up to catch some type of insect that is caught under the truck. They do this often and it scares us if we walk past the truck and these yellow birds come flying out from underneath. Here is one I caught in midflight. Qualifies for this thread too

Thumbnail by ottahand7
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

A long time ago, we had the "belly button" thread. It showed birds that appeared to be looking at their belly button, if they had one.

Stafford County, VA

This thread made me smile when I looked at it a few days ago, so when I got this one this morning, I thought it might fit in with some of the others. To paraphrase an old country music song, this is the north end of an Eastern Bluebird flying South.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

Here is a young Cooper's hawk that fits this category, although he was actually just adjusting his position after shaking the rain from his feathers. In fact, he stayed perched there for at least 20 minutes. I walked up to within 10 feet and then all around the post, clicking away and still he did not fly. I got more than 700 shots and would have taken more but it was raining and I was out without a coat. (It is warm here on the East Coast today.)

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

American Goldfinch drinking from hummer feeder ant moat. This pic was taken last August.

Beautiful detail of the hawk's tail Dave. Thanks.

Thumbnail by beclu727
(Zone 5a)

Blue Jay: "Whoa... that's some wind!"

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

You can wait too long.

Thumbnail by f_chisolm

Common Scoter

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Its been a good year so far for missed pictures.
1. Mourning Dove uh, feather (lower left)
2. Carolina Wren butt
3. Yellow-rumped Warbler butt
4. Red-shouldered Hawk blur

Thumbnail by beclu727 Thumbnail by beclu727 Thumbnail by beclu727 Thumbnail by beclu727

Quote from beclu727 :
3. Yellow-rumped Warbler butt

Butt shots of new world warblers (Parulidae) are actually very useful, as the pattern on the underside of the tail is important for identification ;-)

Resin

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Resin, who knew. I sure didn't. My ID books don't show any butt shots, but some of the pictures show a lot of undersides from the side.

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

Some birds pose and some don't. Like people some are camera shy. This American Goldfinch sure did not want to cooperate.

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

Forgot the photo.

Thumbnail by f_chisolm
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Eurasian Collared Dove - arguably its good side. Don't ask me what it is trying to do.

Thumbnail by pollengarden
(Zone 5a)

Possibly it was in the middle of preening.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I wondered if it was preening in two meanings of the word - sort of a bragging display for other doves, "Look! I have fine fancy feathers AND a feeder all to myself!"

(Zone 5a)

Birds need to preen to keep their feathers in good condition, so it might have been something as simple as that. :) During mating season Mourning Doves will preen each other as part of their bonding rituals. Not sure about Eurasian Collareds.

Sunbathing, or maybe just having a good stretch

Resin

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

The pair of Northern Shoveler butts is a classic.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Red-shouldered hawk, took off just before I snapped. I think a pair is nesting in the woods behind my house.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I've enjoyed this thread for some time and now I have something to contribute.

South end of a north bound Brown Thrasher -- ^_^

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

This was supposed to be a female Redwing Blackbird, in profile, gathering nesting material. Well, it isn't a Redwing Blackbird, it isn't in profile, and probably isn't gathering nesting material.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

This Jay sure turned around fast! Right after this, he took off for the oak tree.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

Eurasian Collared Dove just finished mating, and showing his butt

Thumbnail by wingwoman

Quote from pollengarden :
This was supposed to be a female Redwing Blackbird, in profile, gathering nesting material. Well, it isn't a Redwing Blackbird, it isn't in profile, and probably isn't gathering nesting material.

Somehow missed seeing this post before - it's a Spotted Sandpiper.

Resin

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Spotted Sandpiper - yes, this was my best guess, too. I don't remember if I counted it at the time, or if I waited for the second time I had something turn into a spotted sandpiper.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

This is a Black-chinned Hummingbird. Photo show how green turns Bronze in the right light. Alas, there are some things it doesn't show.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

TXSkeeter, and others,
Great thread.
The high quality of many of your photos makes it harder to complain about the butts!

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

1-2 I have been trying to catalog numbers and species of Hummingbirds without much success
3-4, a little off topic, but consistent with my recent photographs: I apparently had the motion camera pointed the wrong way on a one way game trail.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2014 10:20 AM

Thumbnail by pollengarden Thumbnail by pollengarden Thumbnail by pollengarden Thumbnail by pollengarden
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Beautiful deer. That buck is gorgeous.
One way trail! ^_^

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

pollengarden, maybe you'll be the first person to capture Sasquatch butt on camera

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Quote from sallyg :
capture Sasquatch butt on camera

Oops! Probably already did - assumed it was one of my relatives out hiking and deleted it?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.