What to do with the playground?

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

My son has decided he is too old for a playground, so now I have a playground structure I am looking to convert into a greenhouse. I am not sure what all I want to do with it, so any ideas/thoughts are helpful!

Here are are some pics of what the structure looks like now.

Thanks,
Shauna

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

I converted my grandsons playground into a mini greenhouse. Here are some pictures of it. There was a level where the slide was and I just lowered the level to the bottom for the floor and addede windows from the habitat store for very little cost. I made a door out of 1 X 4's and added plasted to that. Where there were still spaces where the windows did not cover I added plastic. There are three windows on the top of it . It is very small but will be able to start some plants in there for the spring. I still have to do some caulking around the windows. We had a little cold spell last night and it dropped down to 45 degrees in there but in about an hour it had came up to 70 degrees. So I think when I get it caulked it will stay warmer. Hope this will help with you set. Neighbors says it looks like a phone booth. LOL It is a little bigger than that though.

Sami

Thumbnail by Sami Thumbnail by Sami Thumbnail by Sami Thumbnail by Sami
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sami, love your phone booth greenhouse, cute as all get out.

Jan

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

"Calling Dr Seuss, are you there?"
I like the phone booth too. Landscape around it later and it'll be cute(r) as heck and look more like a greenhouse, I think.

Shauna, I live in a cold zone- but what do you need a greenhouse for in Tampa, if I may ask?

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

Thats my fault I didnt notice she lived in florida. Maybe make into a potting shed.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sallyg, believe it or not we do get cooler temps, enough cooler temps (which we woke up to this morning) that some tropical that are better suited for further south, that we try to grow here in our 9a zone. Funny thing is just across the bridge south from Tampa you hit the 9b zone which is so different. But then again if you are close to the coast than you end up with a micro climate that enables you to grow some tender tropicals.

I guess more than you wanted to know.... sorry. LOL

Jan

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

So far, I have taken down all the "play" equipment down and started removing the 2nd story floor. Recycling that wood into a solid floor on the bottom and will be building internal shelves. Once the inside is done, I plan on checking out ReStore to see if I can find any windows/glass to use as exterior walls and filling the the remaining space with plastic.

Thumbnail by shauna1219
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

We do occasionally get freezing temps and instead of moving my potted tenders in and out of the house when those temps happen, I can keep them in there during that time. I am also going to use that as a potting shed and have extended the shade cloth (picture 3 in the first set) over. I currently have tables with potted plants and my pot graveyard is spread out throughout the back yard. I plan on putting a small border around the area in picture 3 and filling it in with mulch to make it pretty (and to fight off weeds). Once that is done, I am going to move all my tables and pots there, so I can have everything I need in one location.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

thanks; love the idea of a potting area!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna

it sound wonderful, just a suggestion, you might want to leave one section of the upper shelf to store you pots on, that way they don't use up valuable real estate down below, and leaves more room for plants.

Looking forward to watching the transformation.
Jan

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

That's a good idea Jan...leaving an open space at the top for my extra pots!

Thanks!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

no program, when real estate is at a prime you look for ways to consolidate....LOL

Jan

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

That is why i posted this for suggestions/advice. I knew I would find real estate ideas that I had not thought of. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.