FALL-ing into Cooler Temps

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1325381/

Since it is now "technically" Autumn...decided to start a new thread where we can share pics of our gardens and discuss how they are progressing through the season.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

There are veggies in the new beds. But in my tomato beds the fruit is not getting ripe

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I brought in most of the Plumerias in the last two days and the Adeniums were all brought into the Florida room last week. We usually won't have below 50 degree temps until after Christmas, so I'll put up the shade tent in the next few days and cover it in plastic. I will also enclose my Florida room in plastic, but there is no big hurry.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Shauna.

My tomatoes are still green, they are still blossoming, just not as fast as they do in the summer. We did have some pretty cool nights last week, but this coming week looks like nice temps for them. We also didn't have rain here for about two weeks, I emptied my rain barrel for the first time in a long time. Not until that last cool front did it fill back up again.

KayJones, I bought a yellow Pumeria this past spring, I have it in a pot, if never flowered again after the first blooms when I bought it. I had it in full sun and it seemed to not like that, so I moved it in a shadier spot, looks better now. It hasn't been below 56° here yet. My desert flower is getting new buds again.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi all!

KayJones, That is a great idea! I don't have a greenhouse, and putting up the shade tent with plastic would be a good substitute! So glad that you mentioned that! :-))

Plumerias need size/maturity to bloom, lots of water during the growing season and room to grow. Heat is a key factor in getting blooms as is the age of the plant - they need at least 8 hours of full sun. I have large ones and small ones - they bloom whenever they want to. Some years, I get very few blooms and other years, they all bloom profusely - I don't know why.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

The temps have not been bad in Tampa, so far. We have had a couple of days that had lows in the upper 50's/low 60's but have not had to bring anything in yet. The highs have been low to mid 80's.

The only thing that is messing me up is the time change. I used to get home from work and have at least an hour to go a piddle around the yard....now by the time I get home it's dark.

Attempting to grow broccoli, collard greens, lettuce and asparagus as my winter crops and they are all growing well. I am quite curious to see how the asparagus is going to produce, considering we don't usually get cold enough temps for it to go dormant over the winter. Even if it doesn't produce spears...at least I will have a nice ferny hedge blocking an ugly fence. LOL

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

2 of my 3 Plumerias have bloomed...one bloomed all summer long and 1 is blooming now.

Like Kay said..they bloom whenever they want to.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I love reading what other people are doing, so usually I'm just snooping around the threads if I'm not asking about something.

Interesting about the plumerias, most of the ones planted in ground around my area are looking pretty shabby and a few have scraggly blooms. The ones in containers are much more lush.

I am still indecisive about petunias this year.

I have a pink tab that surprised me with new growth, I thought it would be getting ready to lose its leaves.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I've never tried tomatoes in the fall/winter, but with our last mild winters thought I'd give it a try this season. Now we will probably have a really cold winter...LOL. I did read that winter is a wonderful time for planting vegetables in central and south Florida.

Good to know about the plumeria, I'll move it back out to a sunny spot, I did transplant to a larger pot and another reason why it may be looking better. I'll make sure it has a drip irrigation in the pot also, I think that could have been a problem, as the overhead sprinkler wasn't giving it enough water.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

sunkissed

When I moved to our current location I promptly went out and picked up several tomatoes. Transplanted them and they took off like crazy. The second week all plants were hit with white flies. I haven't been able to get rid of them or the damage they did. I don't use chemicals, which is why I try to grow my own veggies. After being back home in FL for 2 1/2 years I've not been successful in getting one tomato to eat. So we will see about these.

I'm hoping to start seeds in January and maybe, just maybe have success from that crop, as the neighbors on both sides don't use chemicals and don't spray their lawns...Hurray.....

Jan

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I had very good luck with heirloom/determinate tomatoes last Fall & summer. I only have 2 plants going right now - in containers. Last year I was picking tomatoes till New Years. I just have a $50 GH fm Big Lots. Close the door at nite & open it up on warm days.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Question: Do any of you grow ground orchids, spathoglottis plicata? If so, any advice - especially on how much sun they need/don't want? I got two today because every time I see them, I fall for them. One is the magenta color and the other is magenta and yellow.
thanks

I have 1. It bloomed in Spring & has remained a lovely green thruout the Summer/Fall. It is under a palm tree so gets diffuse sunlight. It is in a rather protected area of the yard. It is in with my coleus.

Hello ... I'm a GA gal that just happened up on your thread while checking to see if a friend had posted lately.

Anyway, Quilter, RE your GH, may I ask what size it is? I have one I purchased for around $100 on Overstock.com but haven't seen anything in that price range to compare. Would love to stumble on a deal like yours!

Thanks for the info!
~Susan

Hi, my Dear Susan!!!! Here are a few reviews, from GW members, who own this greenhouse:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/strucs/msg0209463729007.html

It is ~16' sq & tall enough to stand in. The shelves were flimsy so I use some old wire shelving.

I really liked it last winter. Kept everything inside nice & toasty warm. Also kept humidity in. But, the plastic "shrunk" over the summer. Very odd indeed. Had to get some plastic & heavy duty duct tape to make it bigger so I can get the door zipped.

I think it is well worth the $50 I paid for it.

I have 2 smaller ones - just 1 row of 4 shelves. They came inside over the summer & did not "shrink". I use the smaller ones for starting seeds.

Hi Kay ... thanks for that link! Great to see you!

Thanks, Quilter. I've been checking on a replacement for mine. My roof leaks.

Decisions, decisions ...

~Susan

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I am building a small one with PVC pipe, using hardware cloth for the shelves. Going to hang a couple of lights in it for heat this year. Covering it with plastic. And surrounding it with fence wire as there is no way it would survive the demon child if he could reach the plastic.

Hi Susan glad to see you here.

Sandy

Hi back, Sandy. Where are you getting your plastic from and what grade is it? I've been over to the GH forum and have looked at some ideas. It's the time factor that's preventing this from taking place here ... We've been in the middle of sprucing up around. If I mention another project to the DH he's apt to throw me out on my ears. LOL

How is the roof leaking? That spray sealant now comes in clear. That might be all you need to use.
I patched my GH yesterday & no tthe door zipps closed again. Needed to add 4" on each side. Not sure how that plastic shrunk that much over the summer.

Now I'm brainstorming a way to put another GH structure on the back side of my shed where the potting bench is. I have 4 old windows that would make a great roof. Of course I should have planned this over the sumer and not now when I really need it in a couple days!!!!

Quilter, I'm afraid mine's just worn out. I believe mine srank, also. The zippers were the first thing to go, and believe me ... we were very careful. I don't think the material is designed to take our daily extreme temp changes, but for my needs it's still the best way for me to go.

I've wondered about using my old frame and covering it, though. That's why I asked Sandy about what she was using. Sorry if this should be on the GH thread instead. ☺
~Susan

BTW, we're suppose to have our first frost on Wednesday night ... I guess I'll be picking lemons!

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Speaking of greenhouses...my son has decided he is too old for a playground, so now I have a playground structure I am looking to convert into a greenhouse. I am not sure what all I want to do with it, so any ideas/thoughts are helpful!

Here are are some pics of what the structure looks like now

I am going to post this in the GH forum as well, but any advice from my fellow Floridians would be more beneficial.

This message was edited Nov 11, 2013 12:00 PM

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219

Go to your local building supply store and buy 6 mil. plastic. I have a 10'x10' enclosed tent that I just put plastic on today - it will serve as my extra greenhouse for the next 3 months. I've done this for the past 5 years with excellent results.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I was thinking about putting plastic around the sides of the main structure...but didn't know if I should go all the way around it, to where the shade cloth is...

I cover the whole thing, allowing for the opening. I can open it whenever our temps go up.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

You have a great structure to start with for a greenhouse, yes purchase the heavy duty plastic, go all the way up and down to the bottom, use the sand to push up on the bottom ends, that helps to keep it sealed.

I hope you will post pictures of your upcoming greenhouse work. Would love to see this diamond in the rough take form.

Jan

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

It will be a slow and steady project throughout the winter, something I can work on off and on and hopefully by spring, it will be completed. I have a friend does maintenance/handyman work and I have him on the lookout for windows/glass shower doors and that plastic. He has started making his own healthy juice and I have been giving him ideas and help on growing his own fruits/veggies for it, instead of buying them...so we are trading services off.

What a weird cold blast we have had over the past couple of days. Went down into the low 50's the last 2 nights and now we are warming up again. Weatherman is predicting another cold front next week.

Question for all of you...when the temps start dropping, how cold do you let it go before moving your cold sensitive plants inside? Do you wait till the temps are at/around freezing...or do you do it sooner than that (like 40's).

Shauna

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna

I'm watching to see what others do when the temps drop. Last night was cold for us. This morning not too bad, it was colder inside then outside, so we opened the windows to warm up the inside...LOL I just can't bring myself to turn the heat on yet......

I took a tender and put in back in behind the stains last night and covered my few tomato plants they were fine this morning.

Jan

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm up here in North Fl. Normally my plants all stay out, uncovered, unless they're calling for freezing temps, or frost. Then, it's only my really tender ones that come in to the garage, or get covered, such as my Crotons, and Jades. As I've gotten older, my philosophy has become, if you can't handle the climate here, then I don't need you. :-) But I must admit, I do have just a few that are special to me and get the extra care. My Orchids, Nepenthes, Staghorn fern all get the extra care, and come in as the temps consistently get into the 40's.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Jan, you are a stringer woman than me. I had to turn the heat on overnight, but it was turned off once I got up this morning.

I asked that because my hubby wanted to start bringing in plants last night and I didn't think it was going to be cold enough (since it only went down in the mid 50's). I wanted to find out what temps other people thought were worthy enough to bring plants in.

Usually when it gets down into the low/mid 40's is when I start bringing my tenders and potted plants in. My outside hibiscuses, birds of paradises, and staghorns all get covered when we get near freezing.

I have about 12 old trash cans & some heavy cardboard boxes (that are folded flat when not in use). I upend those over my tender plants anytime I think it will get below 40.
Only ones that come indoors for the Winter are the Orchids (some still out under the palm tree) and a couple other plants I've had for too many years to want to lose.

Tomatoes are in the GH (only because they need warm nites to ripen) along with my baby lettuce. Lettuce will come out once they are larger & only go in on COLD nites.

I'm up here on the GA/FL line and covered my Maid of Orleans last night. I picked my Meyers and covered my wandering Jew because it's Mama's. The freeze will kill my NBJ to the ground when it freezes, but it always comes back and blooms for me. I sure do envy y'all for all your scenteds down your way ...

Shauna, I'm watching your GH project with interest. ☺
~Susan

Good morning, Susan! Tell Danny YOU need a greenhouse!!!

Okay, smiling.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well last night wasn't bad, now the night before was. I'm so glad I didn't give my sweat shirts to goodwell when we moved down to FL...LOL I use one the other day....LOL even put on socks, which I've not had on since moving back 2 1/2 years ago. Bradenton was so much warmer, but it just wasn't good for perennials so I'm hoping to deal with the cooler temps and get to grow some of my beloved perennials. Will see if this thought process works.

I did cover the tomato plants the other night, with my plant cloth material had from up north. It is more of a gauze type that I got at a fabric store on clearance. Worked good up north in that it allowed the plants to breath until I could get out in the morning to remove it.

Jan

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I don't bring much inside until its down in the high 30's. I have very heavy landscape blankets which I use on plants in ground.
First year to have staghorn fern. I take it needs to be protected or brought inside.
Only place I have is in my dining rm. and my whole house is dark because its tongue and groove cypress planks. So, I don't keep them in any longer than I really have to.

I ordered a frost cloth off of Amazon but was disappointed in the size. I'd love to find something big enough to cover my huge pots. I use sheets and cover with plastic when there's a threat of rain ... but that's heavy even though I use stakes to support it.

Friend made t-pees out of bamboo to put over tall things. Then just drapes those blue tarps over them as needed. Secure with a few clips.

Susan, when we get a cold snap, my yard looks like tent-city! I cover all my outside tender tropicals with quilts, which I buy for $1.99 from Goodwill's rag bin. You have to ask for them, but they do have them for sale.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.