Please guys I need your advice

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I need some advice. Two summers ago when we first moved back I planted a bed of lilies in a spot where I cut down a tree. I bought them from The Lily Garden so I know they were good bulbs. I’ve never been happy with it. Some didn’t come up and of those that did the rabbits and deer got to. Those low life bottom feeders even went after the nicotiana which is poisonous. Next year I'm putting in an electronic fence for the dogs and that should end some of that problem. To add to my woes I had someone come and mulch and edge my beds. His helper either buried or dug out my markers so I no longer know what's what or where so I can't stake without fear of doing a hatchet job.

They came back this year and I got some blooms but its sinking in the center and I’m just not happy. I’m thinking of digging up the whole lot, adding lots of compost (soil is mostly if not all clay) and doing a proper job of replanting. I’ll then net the whole thing in early spring to keep the &((&*^ out and maybe keep the leaves on long enough to produce some decent plants. Do you more experienced people think this is a good plan or should I wait?

I almost think it doesn’t matter if I lose the lot because its in such bad shape. If they all die I’ll just order more and have a decent bed to put them in.

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, I think I've answered my question. I poked around in the bed and a all of a sudden I was swarmed by a whole nest of ants. There were also several baby bulbs in the area. I guess its oing to be lots of digging, tons of compost and lots and lots of ouches from the ants. What do you guys think, did I miss anything?

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I am not so experienced, but I grow a lot of lilies.

If I were you (and I think I have been you at different times), I would dig them all up and put the bulbs in a container or in multiple containers. Lilies require so little to keep them happy. Containers should be about 8 inches deep, and if they don't have drainage holes, drill them. Use fresh potting soil, and cover with about 4 inches of soil. If you do not put them in at least 4 inches deep, they will not anchor as well. If you have a sunny deck, let them winter on your deck, but don't cover the drainage holes. In the spring, if you want them inground, you can plant the container. Don't disturb bulbs once they are starting to grow and bud, but move the containers as much as you want. Make sure the containers are in full sun. Lilies like that.

If you have asiatics, they will be very happy. If you have lilies that grow tall, you'll have to put them in larger containers.

These lilies are all container grown. Photos 1 and 2 have asiatics that have been in that container since 2 summers ago, and have to be thinned out now. You can also plant other bulbs in the containers at the same time, just like your yard. Gardening is a lot of work, but you can make it work for you.

By the way, if you have a sunny deck and they are on your deck, you can control the deer damage a bit better. If you have creatures that dig your bulbs, put a piece of screening over the top until they start to poke through the soil and sprout.

Marcia

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.