Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Traveling in a fried-out combie
On a hippie trail, head full of zombie
I met a strange lady, she made me nervous
She took me in and gave me breakfast
And she said,

"Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover."

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six-foot-four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich
And he said,

"I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Lyin' in a den in Bombay
With a slack jaw, and not much to say
I said to the man, "Are you trying to tempt me
Because I come from the land of plenty?"
And he said,

"Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Yeah!

Living in a land down under
Where women glow and men plunder
You better run, you better take cover!

Living in a land down under
Where women glow and men plunder
You better run, you better take cover!

And that's all with massive apologies to Men At Work - who did it much more justice back in the '80s...

Marianne and I did have a lot of fun touring around Queensland for three weeks in September. This was a celebration of our 25 years of wedded...er...bliss, yeah - that's it!

It was leveraged by Marianne's 25 years of service running the laboratory at the big equine hospital, which gave her a generous bonus. It was accommodated by our niece and her husband who live in Brisbane and - despite being 8.5 months pregnant - welcomed us into their home during our visit.

We spent the first week with them. We toured the city and environs on our own while they were at work, and then had three days with them squiring us around to some of their favorite haunts.

We then took off in a rental car, all self-assured at driving on the left side of the road, and spent the next two weeks exploring Queensland from Stanthorpe to Airlie Beach and back.

It did not rain. There was evidence everywhere, however, of the tremendous power of water in that part of the world - due to 27 inches of rain over a couple days in January 2013. I could not imagine, but saw the results.

Spent a full day out at the Great Barrier Reef, including my first snorkeling experience. I did not drown, and got to see a big turtle close up.

We ate well. It is more expensive there overall, but most everything we tried was very good and people were about as friendly as we'd ever come across.

Oh - there is wine there, too. It's a little known fact...

Here are some of the places around Brisbane, for starters.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sounds like an awesome adventure!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing with us

This message was edited Oct 6, 2013 9:55 PM

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow, 27 inches of rain in 2 days! I can't imagine.

A 3-week trip! Now that's a vacation. :)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Wow, total wow. That's a trip of a lifetime! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing. (and not keeping it "striclty" confidential-!)

Well, I can keep sharing - as long as anyone is still awake, or needs a cure for insomnia.

If further definition of current images is found interesting - I can do it. If further elaboration on any of the sights or sites is desired - I'll bring it.

We hit more botanic gardens than I had imagined, which was pretty interesting as each one came at their collection of plants from different directions for different purposes. We also got to traipse through some diverse natural landscapes at the different national parks we visited.

We even dined at an authentic German restaurant in the Blackall Range with prime views of the Glass House Mountains. Prost!

did you say insomnia? .....arrrrggggg. Listening to must be an inch or more of rain, 27 inches would be unimaginable!!!!!!!
Funny how you can find a German restaurant there. There's a big German restaurant in San Antonio- seems odd but there it is.
I'd love to pet the 'roo= so cute.
And good luck to the niece, who may well have popped out her joey by now!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

a welcome story....!!! What a trip. That is awesome.

The owners of the restaurant were both German, about our age, who had met at Expo 88 in Brisbane. Their lives led a bit of a circular path, but they married and have now spent 17 years in this business in Australia.

In fact - Kim and Danny had their son the day before yesterday - Luke James is a healthy 2675 g (5 lbs 14 oz.).

congratulations Kim and Danny, Uncle John and Aunt Marianne!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday world traveler, grandpa who occasionally swings through the Mid Atlantic Forum.

Hope your day is an adventure and you'll stop back soon! Best wishes.

Coleup/Judy

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh, yes, jumping in with some bountiful birthday wishes.!!!!!!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy birthday VV! It is always a pleasure.

Thank you all.

I thought you might have at least sprung for a gesture, like the well-wishing good folks in Brisbane...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

"Iguana" wish you a sincere tho Belated !!!! Happy birthday!!

Thumbnail by sallyg

Yes, they have their share of lizards in this part of the world. Is it live - or is it Memorex...

Thanks to all of you for the birthday wishes, and the usual and unusually gracious style of the Mid Atlantic Forum.

More Australian musings...City Botanic Garden in Brisbane.

I just had an image---of someone native to the Iguana Zone coming here and remaking…" And they have Cute Furry Creatures All Over the Place!!!! (squirrels)…they're like Iguanas only furry!

That first thing should be called Sea Urchin Tree.

Wow what great specimen trees.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

VV, I'm late in wishing you a happy birthday! Those botanical garden pictures are beautiful!

I couldn't ID that last one, though I think there were male AND female parts. Would that make it perfect...

More from down the road at ANOTHER botanical garden in Brisbane - the Roma Street Parkland ("...the world's largest subtropical garden in a city centre...").

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm really enjoying your tales from Down Under. We wish we could go there, but it would have to be a slow boat to Sydney for me. Flying to Europe was torture enough, even with an open bar on Swiss Air. LOL I have a cousin that went on the road when he retired and has taken his motor home to some strange places by freighter. Been to Alaska and Down Under. Thanks for sharing.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

These ARE some awesome pics!!

Furry iguanas!!!! Hehehe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.