Happy birthday, coleup!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

From way down here in wild wonderfully wet central KY...hope you are having a great one.

May you enjoy the oncoming rainfall as much as us - at least those of us that didn't need swift water rescue last night.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy birthday, Coleup! What a wonderful summery day for your special day!

happy birthday, Coleup! Hope you had a nice day celebrating!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Happy birthday!!! And many more!!! Hope your wishes come true as plentiful as flowers on Strawberries n Cream

Thumbnail by sallyg
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday, dear!! May all your garden wishes come true!!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

ViburnumValley, I feel honored to have a Birthday thread started by you! Thanks for noticing. And five blooms....(none of which I recognize do tell the names)

And, yes rain would be a welcome blessing to us all, thanks for heralding its approach. It used to be when I first moved to Maryland that I could call my Mom in Illinois and find out what weather would be here in 2 days.

SS, Cat, Sally and Jan, looking forward to meeting up at Jill's on Sat. I doubt it will be quite so balmy but we should have some good fall colors going by then.

Sally have I told you how perfect the book you passed on to me is? Yep, "My Hippie Grandmother", that's me, or one version of the self I am.

Thank you all for the good wishes as I stand on the edge of another decade.

Thumbnail by coleup

Love the photo, Coleup--what a wonderful image of a strong woman enthusiastic for life ready to conquer another decade! :-)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Judy, Happy Birthday to you !

There, the birthday song just for you, sung out loud in the office and waaaaayyyyyy off key. Hope your day was great and see you in a few days!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks Aspenhill! Are you effected by the Shut Down? I mean, was your office mostly empty for your special rendition of Happy Birthday?

I sang to myself and also was serenaded by DGS but when younger DGS was prompted to "Sing Happy Birthday to You" by Mom , he launched into a rendition that sounded curiously like his favorite song "Winnie the Pooh"!

Looks like early on this new decade will have lots of lessons on caterpillar to butterfly journeys and support there of. In the morning I transfered the 9 Monarch chrysilises to larger individual mason jars. The oldest is 16 days now and I am glad that eclosure and then release is superbly 'timed' by Nature to miss the heavy rain and winds that will be moving through this area later today. Reminds me of that Kenny Rogers song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj4nJ1YEAp4

He doesn't look too bad thirty some years later!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azZr1cSu9-4

Very cute and sweet on the part of your grandkids, Coleup!

I just checked on my swallowtail caterpillar in his mason jar, and he is beginning to attach himself to the stick with threads, so I think he is about to build his chrysalis!! I'm wondering if I should bring the jar inside?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I just brought mine inside til the storm/wind passes.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Judy,
All are back to work today, but when I sang it was early this morning before most coworkers got here LOL.

thanks, I just brought mine inside, too. Hope it doesn't disturb his chrysalis- building!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm late to the party -- but happy happy birthday and many happy returns!

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday, Judy!

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday, Judy. All your days should be as lovely as you make your surroundings.

Quoting:
And five blooms...(none of which I recognize do tell the names)

Would t'wer I could. These were images my wife took, and she doesn't bother with the nameplates.

I can guess some categories or possible common names, but all were alien to me.

1. No idea
2. Some Agapanthus-y kind of thing
3. Maybe Spanish daffodil/narcissus
4. Think this one was a vine on an arbor, which I may have photo'd the label
5. No idea II

Where's UMD_Terp? He did pretty well with the batch on sallyg's b-day thread...

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm LATE!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY (belatedly) JUDY!!!!!!!! I sure hope it was a Super Terrific one!!! XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

okay, here's my guess ;-)

1) Pink-rimmed Lobe-lius
2) Albus confettii
3) Red-dotted tripetalus
4) Star-shaped bluitis
5) Albus swirlycutus

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Thank you Happy, Karen, Roses and Speedie!

Since I'm beginning a new decade 'late' is a very relative term.

My actual birthday this year included some ups and downs. I was stung by a wasp as I watered a containerized JM tree, disturbing a newly forming nest.
Ouch ouch ouch! And angry wasps meant no Bday cookout. After I applied lots of baking soda paste to my angry red swollen neck all I wanted was 'comfort food' and then to be able to sleep!

So we took off for Whole Foods hoping they were still open on a Sunday evening for their hot foods bar and casual dress code. When we got there we
found they had a big "Shutdown Pick Me Up" community spaghetti dinner going on for FREE! Did I mention that 'dessert' was cake?!
http://www.visitatc.com/shutdown-pick-me-free-spaghetti-dinner-wfma

How comforting is that? Awful to amazing in the blink of an eye.

This new decade has its own new rules and challenges and I get to discover and savour them all

wow, pretty cool! I am not aware of any shutdown free dinners in my area (though apparently there is the occasional free burger or cookies somewhere in downtown DC), but what a great idea! So glad you were able to enjoy! :-)

Sorry to hear about the wasp sting and bbq cancellation.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

1- has a Plumeria like stem...
2- ?
3 in the Iris family
4 How bout ...nah, Idunno
5 erm, could it be a Jasmine?
MRSVV takes pretty pics of that we are sure.

God works in mysterious ways alright- sending the wasp to get you to the free dinner!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yep, He certainly does!!

Sorry to hear bout the wasp. Soooo....you are starting the decade of the 40's. How awesome!!!!

Maybe you can pretend to get another sting next week to join in the breakdown dinner!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Sorry for delayed birthday wishes!! Happy Birthday!!

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I am late also but that in no way decreases the amount of Happy Birthday wishes for you. Sounds like the day may have had its downs but ended way up.

OK - found #4, but I suspect some errata is involved.

The label I photographed claims Clerodendrum thomsoniae - Glory Bower, Bleeding Heart - in the Verbenaceae. In checking PlantFiles, that's an entirely different plant (56 times over).

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/506/

Here's a pic of the whole unknown plant and some additional parts, taken at the Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens in Mackay, Queensland...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OH, my!!!

I am two days late!!! SO sorry!

Judy--I hope you had a special day in some way.

Happy belated Birthday!!! Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Even more belated birthday wishes to you. Hope it was a wonderful day.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Super late myself!!! May everyday be as joyous as your birthday

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

#5. I immediately thought Gardenia based on the leaf shape, white petals, and bloom shape.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

#5. I immediately thought Gardenia based on the leaf shape, white petals, and bloom shape.

#3. The tri petal pushed me straight to an iris. Iridacea family. Looking into that family there is a Subfamily Nivenioideae containing six genera from South Africa, Australia and Madagascar. Niveniodeae family http://families.e-monocot.org/classification/iridaceae.

#1. 5 petal red trumpet Australian shrub, vireya? I thought about Rhododendrons when I saw the blooms but I didn't like the stem. Here is an Australian vendor with Vireyas listed for sale http://www.camelliaglen.com.au/vireyas/listing/ Scarlet Robe is what I came across. It could be a scraggly looking Vireya.

I guess I wasn't far off thinking Rhododendron. http://www.vireya.net/
This website is dedicated to presenting the plants of Rhododendron subgenus Vireya - more commonly known as Vireya Rhododendrons, or simply Vireyas.

#2. Stumped right now.

#4. My brain must have shut off.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry we missed your birthday Judy, our laptop died while on vacation.

Thumbnail by Ric_of_MAF
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

And me bringing up the rear....
Always late...
Hope your special day was a blessing!

Karen

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A bit late but Happy Happy Birthday to you. Sounds like a different type of BD for you first the wasps then a great free dinner.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.