Seed Purge Pt. 2

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1329323/

Because the original thread has gotten a wee bit long, and on dial-up or a tablet it can be hard to access.

Guidelines:

GUIDELINES FOR THE SWAP:
Swapper should:
Have the ability to send seeds in by the deadline (October 15th), as well as the ability to answer an email or private message.

Let me know in this thread that you would like to participate & I will message my address to you. THE PURGE IS OPEN TO ALL...USA, CANADA, & INTERNATIONAL.
*PLEASE make sure that it is legal to send and receive seeds in your country...as there are a few that do not accept seeds from the US*

1. You can send in up to 100 seed packs. If you are sending in extra seeds as a bonus please mark them clearly as a bonus. If you send in 100 packages, you will get 100 packages back. If you send in 5 packages you will get 5 back. There is a maximum of 5 packages of each variety per person. Variety meaning “Dixie Butterpea”, not legumes in general You can send veggies, flowers, and herbs.
As a rule, seed packets should *try* and contain the following:
Tiny Seeds (basil, hyssop, poppies): 1/4 tsp
Small Flower Seeds (calendula, bachelor button): 1/2 tsp
Small Vegetable Seeds (tomato, pepper, eggplant): 10 seeds
Large Flower Seeds (4 O'Clock, Nasturtium, Thunbergia): 10 seeds
Large Vegetable Seeds (Squash, Beans, Corn): 20 seeds

2. Please send NAMED VARIETIES of seed. Please mark the seed package with the type of seed (annual or perennial flower, herb, vegetable, etc.) & the cultivar name. PLEASE DO NOT SEND KNOWN HYBRIDS. If seeds are from a commercial source, please note that as well. Basically put as much info as you can on the packet. Or if possible, send seeds in the original packet. If there is anything that is unsure of, just ask! Do not include mystery seeds. It isn't fair to send mystery seed to people who followed the instructions & sent in named varieties. Unknown varieties will be sent back to you.

When you grow out the seeds that you receive please try not to be upset if an occasional plant is not true. That being said, please don't send in seed that you know is crossed & will not grow true.

Please do not include seeds that are older than 2011.

3. Please include a list of the seeds that you are sending in (or message me with the list). Also include a wish list or preferences and if there are any seeds you do not want to receive. I will try my best to accommodate your wish list, but there are no guarantees, of course. The returned seeds will be completely dependent on what is sent in. The easiest wishlists to fill include some specifics (Malachite Box Tomato), but also some general wishes (Green-when-ripe tomatoes). Don't be shy. It is easier, if your wishlist has 100 things on it. If you wish to message me your wishlist, please feel free, and if you’d like, post it (or some of it) on the thread. If you have something on your wishlist & get it from another source, change your mind, or find something that you wish to add to your list, just let me know. It is no trouble to change the lists until the day that I send them out…then you’re kinda stuck.
Please include both your real name (for mailing) and your screen name – so I know who has sent in their seeds! I had trouble with a few last go 'round who didn't include a screen name

WHAT TO SEND:
Inside your bubble wrap envelope you should have:
1. Whatever seed you are contributing to the swap
2. 5 US Stamps (Canada & international can send monetary funds)
3. An address label with your address on it.
4. A wish list or list of preferences or do not want list
5. Include your name & Screen name

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Does anyone have (or know where to purchase) cactus or succulent seeds? There are a few participants who live in the desert and these are heavily wished.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Heidi ~ I found a couple that might be what you are searching for:

http://www.desertseedstore.com

http://nativeseeds.org/resources/gardening

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you!

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Also there are quite a few uncommon seeds - some for the desert and others for the mountains in Alplains.

http://www.alplains.com

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I can't seem to locate your address, could you D-mail it to me? Also, I am one of those sedum/Succulent wants. No cactus though LOL.

Sue G

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

D-mailed you my address. I'm on a mad hunt for succulent now...I found cactus for the other participants. Succulents seem a bit trickier to find seeds for.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the new thread, Heidi.

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

:)

(Zone 7a)

Heidi - I appreciate the new thread too, but after dmailing you that I'd love to join, I'm sorry to say I can't. Wishing everyone great success with their seeds,

Karen

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

No problem.

Received seeds today from leafthief, monkeysea, & ellabee!

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

hey!! I am mailing out on monday sorry for cutting it so close! glad i found this new thread! :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Today, the USPS counters are closed, and there is no mail delivery. However, you can use the self-serve machine (present in many locations) to mail things. There are people working that can start processing packages. :)

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Sorry..won't get mine to the PO til tomorrow also...Kathy

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm still waiting to receive from 20-ish people on the three sites combined, so if it arrives late it isn't a big deal.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from legallyheidi :
I'm still waiting to receive from 20-ish people on the three sites combined, so if it arrives late it isn't a big deal.

That is a lot of people participating! How many have sent stuff in, so far?

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow! Thank you for doing this. :)

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

You're welcome :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Mine too, tardy of course. ;)

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

oh dear! That is a ton of seeds and swappers!!! :) this truly is a great seed purge! :)
I failed to remember that this "holiday" exists. I don't get the day off, and I will leave the rest of my feelings about the day unsaid... hahahah needless to say I will be shipping priority mail tomorrow! :) (which is technically today, i just haven't been to sleep and woke up yet!) :)

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Received seeds from Penny, Paul Velat, msjzzyzoff, aquadragonfly, zeak, & gardenmermaid.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

my seeds went out today! :)

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Heidi,

The tracking I put on my package shows it was delivered Saturday yet you
haven't posted that you received it . Might want to shuffle a few envelopes
around to make sure its there.

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

PO left it at the neighbors when I wasn't home. Got it last night.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Mine went out yesterday and will be there Friday.
Pix seeds included for this Dianthus grationopolitanus Cheddar Pinks

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Yay! I need to post a pic of all the envelopes so far, lol! My spare bedroom is a seed forest at the moment.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL....thanks for taking on this monumental task...you're braver than I am!!!! LOL.

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

No seeds today :(

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yay! I need to post a pic of all the envelopes so far, lol! My spare bedroom is a seed forest at the moment.

Lol I would love to see a pic!

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Here we go...full-sized bed for reference.

And here's the organizational part: I label and store wishlists & mailing info in paper sandwich bags. It helps for sorting seeds and pairing wishlists easier, IMO.

Thumbnail by legallyheidi Thumbnail by legallyheidi
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

That is a lot of packages! :)

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Received more seeds from another mail truck, lol, from outlaw

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Mine will be in the air tomorrow Heidi. As long as I'm not last. :D

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh no, you're not last...I'm still waiting on quite a few ;)

I received seeds from michellelee & warriorwisdomkathy today!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Kudos to you, Heidi!!

I would be monumentally stresses out on overload if I was trying to do this. But then I don't guess one begins with something like this as their 1st Hosting of a swap.

Sheri

PS- I have a trouble getting seeds planted. Don't really know why - guess it's all of the deciding where and when & how deep &/or wet anything should be/go. Anyway, I have a lot that have never gotten planted. Some of you might be thrilled to have these...........do you want them or is it to late, etc. Many were like newby gifts.

Sheri
(sometimes AKA-bird brained Birdie)

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Birdie,

About 5 years ago I made a spread sheet of the seeds I had & what their needs were.
While it took the better part of my spare time for 3 months it has been invaluable
over the years as a reference. Plus kept my sanity during a week-long blizzard.

If you think you might like to start one just let me know.

Rogers, MN(Zone 4b)

Hi Heidi - I just noticed that you haven't mentioned that my seeds were received yet, and I sent them out on 9/27. Have you received them? I didn't even think to do a tracking number on them - I will be devastated if they got lost in the mail!

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

I got them. I thought I mentioned it here...I mentioned it on the other two forums. Sorry about that!

Rogers, MN(Zone 4b)

Oh good! Sorry, I had a mini panic attack. Thank you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.