CLOSED: October Birthday thread!

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

We welcome new members to the birthday thread. Your obligation is to send a card to a member whose birthday it is. Please send the cards out in a timely manner because this makes the card more meaningful. It is not necessary to have an expensive or elaborate card. You can make one or pick up one at nearly any store you go in, or buy a box of cards and save a trip to the store. Please encourage friends to join the thread. It is a pleasant surprise to receive in the mail!

Address exchange; http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/

Current Birthday Club Members:

lanakila/Lanakila -- January 22
rose318 / Patti -- March 18
Goldhillal / Crystal -- March 21
AmandaEsq / Amanda -- April 6
ahoogstra/Alicia -- May 17
taters55 / Linda Kay -- June 13
MelissaH2001 -- July 12
GAgirl1066 / Paula -- September 1
GardenQuail / Michelle -- October 28
Sbish5/ Shirley --- November 1
gardenlady123/Ronna --- November 22
Hope43 / Twyla -- December 28

2013 Birthday Club Hosts
January - GardenQuail
February - Lanakila
March - taters55
April - taters55
May -- GardenQuail
June - Taters55
July - rose318
August - rose318
September - Goldhillal
October - Taters55
November - AmandaEsq
December - Sbish5/Shirley

This message was edited Oct 29, 2013 10:51 PM

Thumbnail by taters55

Ladies, please get your cards ready to mail out to GardenQuail / Michelle for her Birthday on October 28.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm ready!!! )

Blackshear, GA

I'm here.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I love opals.

I do too. They are a beautiful stone.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I bought myself a black opal a bunch of years ago. Thought I needed more color in my life. :)

Don't wear it much in summer, but all year otherwise.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

My daughter brought me an opal necklace from Australia. I seldom wear it because I am afraid something will happen to it. Crazy.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yeah. That's what my friend at the jewelry store told me. That you can't wear it all the time and you can't wearing it doing this that or the other. I said what the hell good is it to have if I can't wear it?!

I was a little more sentimental then. I think I said I'd wear it until "God wants to take this beautiful stone away from me." Not really daring it to break or anything, but have worn it almost all the time for at least 10 years. That reminded me (ha!) that I left it at the jewlery store to have the prongs on the stone tightened because it sounded a little loose. For the life of me wouldn't know where to look for the claim check. -sigh-

What else is going on in October?! Seems in my own world there is a birthday or something I've been forgetting. My Nana's birthday was October 30th.

Neener's Birthday is the 9th. But she is no longer with us on this thread. I think she pops in once in awhile.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I have her card here on my desk waiting to be mailed. I haven't heard from her for months, but I know she's crazed and just as well to leave her alone. :D

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Well, here's a heads-up to Neener if she's lurking: Check your mail :)
Happy October, everyone!
Hey, guess what my husband found at the grocery store Monday... Eggnog! Don't recall finding it in the stores this early in past years! When he asked me to guess what he found, I figured he found pumpkin yogurt (which we both love, but can only get around the holidays). Sure was surprised when he said eggnog!
Have a great week everyone!
Michelle

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Maybe, pumpkin eggnog???

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yep, every year they put out the holiday stuff earlier and earlier. In fact, Edy's ice cream put the peppermint ice cream out so early that it ran out of its specialty flavor before the holidays were over! :/

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

heehee-now that's really getting the jump on the season!

Happy Birthday Neener! Hope you have a great day!

Thumbnail by taters55
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Neener Beaner! Hope you're away on some special birthday trek.
xox

Hi, all.
Neener, hope you had a lovely birthday!
And I hope you all have a terrific weekend :)
Michelle

Hi, all.
Sure is quiet here...
Thought I'd stop by to share that my guide dog's birthday is today. He is 9 years old! We celebrated by singing Happy Birthday to him, and then I gave him a big yummy bone-shaped dog treat. My husband told me that my guide dog was wagging his tail as he began eating his special treat. But then he stopped wagging his tail. I think he got busy thinking about how he was going to eat that big bone! :)
Hope everyone is doing all right.
Michelle

Happy Birthday to your Dog Michelle!

Ladies, don't forget that Michelle has a Birthday coming up in one week, get those cards in the mail please?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hahaha Michelle.

I know some folks who have pretty elaborate birthday celebrations for their critters. A nice big chewy bone is welcome any time. Cats are harder to shop for.

Guess what?! Someone may get a birthday card on time from me. I'm trying harder. The first time to me was so cool to get a pile o cards on or near my birthday. Thank you for that. It had been many years and for a minute I was a kid again. Even shook out your cards to see if there was money in any of them (kidding!).

Hungry.

Sleepy.

Have a great day.
A.

Waving hello :)
Hope you all are having a wonderful week!
Michelle

Blackshear, GA

Hi Michelle and everyone else. I'm scrambling to get things in the greenhouse. Supposed to be in the 40s (poss 39) this weekend. I knew this would happen. Thank goodness I've already got my orchids and the more tender ones in. But, still have about 300 to go.....

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Greetings:

Same here - saw forecast overnight tonight to be 36 low? (insert frownie face here)

No greenhouse to stuff 'em in. Have to look around and figure out .... maybe just fire-drill the tenders onto the front porch with a sheet over them. Good luck everybody!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I still have plants outside,too, and hope to finish up today getting things in the greenhouse. I have trees around and they provide a lot of protection from early frosts, but I don't like to play with fire (or cold either,heehee). Hope to get these taken care of today. I have so many duplicates that I have decisions to make.
Happy birthday , Michelle! Hope you are planning something good.

Hi, all.
Paula, I hope you were able to get all of your plants into the greenhouse in time. Sounds like you have quite a collection of them!
Hey, everyone... Amanda didn't just get her card to me on time, but it came early! And, what a lovely card it is! It has a beautiful butterfly! The body of the butterfly is made with beads, and I can feel the shape of the wings, too. There's a bow and various other designs that I can feel, too :) A very nice tactile card! Thank you, Amanda!
By the way, this must be the year for butterflies: my mother-in-law sent me a birthday card with a butterfly, too. But it's done differently from Amanda's. Both cards are pretty cool!
Haven't had a chance to check mail for today, so I don't know if others have come. Will check later this evening or tomorrow.
Have a great weekend, everyone!
Michelle

Blackshear, GA

Happy Birthday Michelle!! (tomorrow) I hope you have a wonderful day!! Thought I would go ahead and wish you happy birthday, I may not be able to get on tomorrow,

Hi everyone else

Michelle, I have about half of my plants in...I have crammed as many as I can in, but the others are still waiting their turn. Last two night have been 39 and 40 but supposed to warm back up starting today. FINALLY getting my other GH finished...it has taken 8 months.GEEZ! But I'm going to have plenty of room. I'll take pictures today.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hahaha! A new record!!! I will thank the USPS for that one Michelle dear. I thought I'd be lucky if it arrived on your special day but wowee! Extra something to celebrate. I'm glad you liked your card .. I really did pick it special for you. Hope your tomorrow is full of smiles and sunshine.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Birthday Michelle
I hope you a wonderful birthday. My card will arrive late. I been ill.
Patti

This message was edited Oct 28, 2013 3:50 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Have a happy Sun-shiney day, Michelle! :)

Happy Birthday Michelle, hope you have a fantastic day!

Thumbnail by taters55
Blackshear, GA

Happy Birthday Michelle!!

And Happy birthday to my new babies....1 week old.

Michelle..they are black labrador puppies.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

Oh my goodness. They are so cute. How many did she have?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Howdoes this work? Does everyone on send acard to the birthday person??? Or just the peps on the other list? I maybe interested. Ronna

All we send is card to the person on the list when it is their Birthday.
Would love to have you join us. All I need is your birthday. Month and day only.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

So everyone sends a card? Sorry just wanna get this straight before I mess so ethi g up.

Yep. Just a birthday card.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Happy Day, Michelle!

Hi, all.
Thank you all for your birthday wishes :) I had a nice relaxing day, and my husband and I went out for dinner at a favorite restaurant. Have some yummy left-overs for tomorrow's lunch.
Crystal, I received your lovely card today. It has a picture of a mother and baby giraffe and a tree on the front. The card was made in Ethiopia. The pictures are made with fibers from the banana tree. Very unique! Thank you, Crystal.
Patti, I hope you're feeling better soon. And don't worry... I'll just have fun extending my birthday celebration a bit longer!
Gardenlady123, we'd love to have you join us if you can :) Just to clarify, there are a couple of lists at the top of this thread. The first lists the participants and their birthdays. The second is a list of participants and the month for which they signed up to host the birthday club. (We've been taking turns hosting each month for a while now.) To join, you just need to send a birthday card to each participant when it is their birthday, and we all send you cards when it is your birthday. Oh, and we do appreciate it if you can stop by now and then to at least say hi so we know you are still around and interested in participating. Hope this helps explain things a bit better.
Hope you all have a lovely day!
Michelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.