Growing Garlic in a container garden

Smithers, Canada

Hello friends
Well now that the growing season for my container garden is pretty well complete and I was able to harvest so many wonderful veggies, tomorrow I plan on cleaning my garden container out. I do however want to plant some garlics into my empty container garden and am looking forward to what I can learn about that. Friends tell me that October is a good month to plant garlic in the Pacific Northwest, especially where we have colder winter seasons, and then harvest it in the early Summer.
My question however, is does that mean I cannot harvest the garlic out of my garden box until July? If so then I will have to be careful about where I plant it, and how much I plant.
I have Korean Red Garlic and Music.

Do any of you have any experience with these types of garlics?

Thanks for your anticipated advice.
mag

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

You got that right. Most garlic planted in October is harvested the first week of July. There are a few varieties that are ultra early, and can be harvested in June, or possibly late May, depending on your climate. There are also later varieties that are not harvested until the second week of July. The Filaree Farm catalog has a great harvest time chart for garlic. I planted Music and Music Pink last year in raised beds, and harvested the first week of July.

Smithers, Canada

Thank you for your reply. It was helpful.

regards
mag

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Maury, I just got 5 lbs from Filaree. They are one of my 2 favorite supplierz, along with Montana Gourmet Garlic, which seemz to sell out awfully early every year. (They send the garlic on the honor code because they are too backward to set up online ordering!)

alpine, unless Maury tellz us differently, garlic doesn't do great intercropped with other veggies, at least in my experience, but you could still try if you don't want to give up your entire space for half the summer.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I have intercropped it successfully with other herbs, but you do need to make sure you are not planting too closely, so you can pull the garlic up without disturbing other plants' roots and so the garlic is not kept too moist by overhanging leaves. Also, you need to dry the garlic down by witholding water, starting about 3 weeks before harvest, so you don't want to have it right next to things you just planted and want to water frequently to get established. I've read don't plant garlic with peas or beans. Never tried it, but I suspect it's the peas and beans that would suffer rather than the garlic.

Next year I'll have to see what Montana Gourmet has to offer. Thanks for the tip to look early if I want the chance to order anything.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Well, that farm is in the valley where I spent the happiest yearz of my childhood, so am very partial to them. (Bitterroot River, western Montana)

But Filaree is super nice to deal with. Five poundz is not a ton, but I'm sending a bunch home with Jack to plant in Illinois so that I have some no matter where I'll end up next summer. I must say, am really sick of trying to grow anything but zucchini in this climate. I guess the grean beanz did well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.