Can I grow fig tree in Florida?????

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Could someone please advise me as to growing figs. I'd love to grow a fig tree. What type would I need to grow here in FL??? Any advise... Thank you. Dorothy

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I have two brown turkey fig trees, in full sun, in my yard, here in zone 8b. The trees get watered every time the sprinkler system runs, which is 4 days a week. They are so yummy!!!

Indian Harbour Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Fairly easy to grow and the brown turkey is recommended for Florida.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I much prefer the Celeste fig to the brown turkey. I have both in my backyard and I give the brown turkeys to my dog (who will eat anything). Seriously, Brown turkeys taste OK, I just think if you have room for only one, Celeste is a better choice.

In Port St Lucie,FL, the Celeste I planted last Spring is doing well. My soil is very acid (pH 5.3) so, at the suggestion of flyboyFL, I sprinkle lawn grade lime pellets around the fig tree and fertilize.

Paul

This message was edited Oct 21, 2013 8:25 AM

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

We have a nearly 60 year old a brown turkey fig(maybe). We do not do anything to it and it gets watered only when it rains. I had to top it last year to keep it from getting to close to the telephone lines over head. It is still over 10 feet tall

Sandy

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

I am new to Florida gardening, having just bought a house here. When do you usually get fruit on a fig tree in Florida? I have one in Massachusetts in a pot that I bring indoors for the winter and it fruits in late Oct/Nov, but I imagine it would be different in Florida.

During the summer down here. Depends on the tree but mine usually has fruit around June but it can be a month earlier or later depending on the weather

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

That's what I thought, so it wouldn't be good for me, since I'm in Massachusetts at that time.

True. Now if you had persimmon trees they are ripening right now. I have both kind of trees and non astringent ones are already orange, the astringent on only has a few fruits this year and they are still green(last year this tree and the second non-astringent one where both overloaded. This tree only had a few fruits last year. They have a heavy, light cycle)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.