Fall Garden Expo.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Dgt. just called and informed me of this. Went to their site. Sponsored by Leon Cty. Ext.
Sat. Sept. 28 from 9 to 1PM.
615 Paul Russell Rd. Talla. across from Jack McClean Park.

Considering I am going up to see her this weekend I will be attending. She knows her mothers passion so offered to take me. Couldn't refuse.

Hope some of you can attend.

Bonnie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hope you have fun Bonnie! Had a good time at the Home and Garden show in Tampa a few weeks ago.

Since you started this, also wanted to share that USF Botanical Gardens is holding their Fall Plant Festival on October 12-13.

http://gardens.usf.edu/data/fallfest.pdf

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Shauna.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Didn't make it Shauna. After 3 1/2 hr. ride to dgts. had so much pain in right hip could barely walk, sit or lie down so came home early this am. Sure was sorry to miss the garden expo.
Will find some medical help first thing Mon. AM.
Take care, Bonnie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I am so sorry to hear that Bonnie!!! Hope you feel better soon.

Shauna

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

So far 2 visits to my chirop. and what a relief. X-rays showed whole thing was out of place. Have no idea how I did it especially since I have been sewing more than gardening. Have 13 outdoor cushions to start today. I do have to lean a lot over cutting table but been doing that for many years. Go figure.

Hope you and family are doing well. Don't you just love this cooler weather.

Bonnie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I am loving these cooler temps.

Went to the plant show at USF yesterday and they had black bat flowers and I had to get one. They have the coolest blooms...almost alien-like. Mine does not have any blooms yet, but lots of healthy growth on the bottom.

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow that bat flower is so cool. I guess I'm glad I read this too late, I don't need any more plants. :-)

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

The bat flower is mostly an indoor plant, needing more shade than sun...so I found a nice place for it inside my house.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

They are just beautiful. I had a little one once but I lost it. Hope yours thrives for you as they are really different.
Been so busy with fish lately. We got a great buy on some very large ones so we are having a fish sale this Sat. as I need to make room for big guys & gals in larger pond and move smaller fish I want to keep into smaller pond.
Got my Pondovac 4 yesterday and also a fish sock. Really need one to handle these big fish. We have 1 that got hurt but I am doctoring her now in quaranteen and hoping she will pull thru. My son Jeff is so happy with ones he bought but they have to stay with me as he just has a very small pond. We will be busy Sat. but hopefully can find new homes for some of my fish and his. His oldest son (15) is also a fish nut and willing to help at all times. He is gentle and careful handling them so thats a big help. When I get the chance I will take some pics and post of water garden forum.
Happy gardening all.
Bonnie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie,

If only I had gotten to redoing my pond over the summer, I would definitely be interested in obtaining a couple of your fish. As it is now, the pond is not big enough and I want to completely remodel it.

Shauna

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I'll probably end up giving some away as we HAVE to ave more pond room.
Whenever you are ready for fish just let me know. I'm sure we can spare some.
Mine don't seem to multiply but I have connections with lots of fish people plus some neighbors used to drop some off all the time which I carefully quaranteened and treated before releasing into ponds with others. I learned the hard way, desease spread easiy and rapidly.
Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Fish sale went well I thought. If someone bought 5 I gave them a few more. One little girl went home with her grandma very happy. She said she had some already that would eat out of her hand.
Have a few left but someone is coming tomorrow after I get home from church and I imagine they will go to new homes to.
I cleaned out all filtrations materials from both ponds and did a little vacuuming. Son and his son did all the netting and loaded fish for people. I'm pooped but happy my fish went to new homes and made lots of people happy.

Shauna, hope you get your pond rebuilt. You will enjoy it even tho its work. I can't think of any hobby that doesn't have work attached to it somehow. Except sitting on your duff watching TV all day and thats not me.

Happy gardening all.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

So glad that the fish sale went great for you Bonnie!

Originally, the pond re-do was going to be this summer's project, but when the kitchen fiasco started, that got put on the back burner. I am hoping to get it done over the fall/winter. I know playing in water is not great when it gets cold, but it sure makes the manual labor a lot easier. Every good hobby, does require work, but if you love the work you do...it does not seem like real "work".

Happy Gardening!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

If you have digging to do winter time is better. We were always digging in July and that was for the birds.

All fish except the one I'm medicating are in their places now. When Big Momma gets completely healed up she will go in larger pond with other big ones. Sure looked to me like they were spawning this morning early. Doesn't matter to me I'm not trying to fetch out fish fry with all thats been going on with them. They can just eat them for extra protein.

Going out to play with my new pond vac. and that will be drawn down and then add new meds. Big Momma looks raggedy but she is still swiming so I won't give up on her. My son Jeff gave her CPR for almost 2 hrs. Thats how I got the chance to measure and weigh her. She is 26" and 24 pds. We are hoping she makes it.
At fish sale I made 2 little kids very happy. Their parents bought 5 and I gave them 5 more. Heck at least they all went to good homes. Some very close by.
Shauna, whatever you do build your pond bigger not smaller or in a little while you will be bldg. it over again. I speak from experience. Hopefully I am done digging ponds. Getting too old for all that. If you were closer I could help you dig. I'll be 76 in Dec. and slowing down a little but still can weild a shovel.
Happy Gardening!!

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie you're one amazing woman...I hope I'm still going like you when I reach your age. I do sometimes think that gardening improves ones agility and stamina, and of course your spirit.

By the way, what happened to our cool weather?????

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

There is supposed to be a cold front rolling through today/tomorrow and our local weather guy is saying we will have lows in the 50's and 60's by the weekend.

I whole-heartedly agree that gardening improves one's stamina, agility and spirit. To me it is also a way to relax and unwind, as a stress reliever. Sure there is lots of work involved, but it is enjoyable and you get almost instant results.

Maybe, I have even become a bit neurotic about it....anyone else ever go visit friend/family/neighbors and start pulling weeds at their house?

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna,
I was walking on the sidewalk in front of local police station. Saw some unslghtly weeds and stopped and pulled them. New police chief walked out and introduced himself to me and said do you like those plants, I said sure do so he gave me some seeds. He probably thought was a nut case. I don't even live in Clermont city limits but when he offered me seeds I wasn't going to say I was covered by sheriffs dept.
Just doing my civic duty. LOL He probably thought was a nut case. Do I care not a bit.
Sherri we are supposed to get cooler temps this weekend. Thats fine with me. We need a break from the heat.

Big Momma is still swiming but she looks awful. I haven't given up medicating her yet. Matter of factly I am trying some new method. Who knows maybe her wounds will heal up and she will be beautiful again. I'm optimistic anyhow.
Bonnie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Big Momma. I know u did everything in your power to save her! At least now we know now, that she is not in ant pain or discomfort.

Shauna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.