Will figs ripen once they have been picked?

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have a dwarf black jack fig tree loaded with fruit. The problem is birds and other critters are getting the fruit before it is fully ripen on the tree. Once the fruit is showing "blush" can I pick them and ripen the fruit on the kitchen counter?

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Everything I have ever read on the subject states that figs do not ripen off the tree. However, my own experience is that if they are almost ripe you can pick them 2-3 days early and they will soften and sweeten up. I guess it depends on how early you harvest them. All you can do is try it for yourself.

SW, AR(Zone 8a)

Those off our trees won’t.

Yes, the birds know exactly when a fig has transitioned to sweetness.

I don’t know how finicky you are, but if a fig has a slight peck, I cut that side off and enjoy . . . the unpecked side. I’ve been doing it for years and haven’t flown off yet . . . might be a little high at times.

Thanks guys...I have been picking the fruits that the birds have sampled and clean them up before eating them. I guess I'm getting grumpy in my old age and don't want to share anymore. :o)

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I've had the same experience as drobarr. I can pick them when they're still a bit hard and they will ripen and become sweeter on the counter, or even in the refrigerator. I wonder whether it depends on the variety.

I have been picking the figs when they are just starting to yield to a little pressure and then letting them ripen on the kitchen counter for a couple of days. This has been working quite well. I leave some ripe fruit on the tree for the birds and they don't bother the other ones.

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Have you tried any scare tape or anything to scare the birds away? Or netting?

I have used those items in the past with moderate success. After a while the birds figure out that the scare tape won't harm them. Bird netting works fairly well on the larger birds but the smaller birds (like finches) still find a way in and sometimes can't find the way out again.

I think we have come to a mutual understanding now...for the last 10 days I have left 3 or 4 ripe figs on the tree for them and I get to pick 8-12 unmolested ripe figs every other day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.