Epimedium leaves look just like Bindweed (Morning Glory)

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh no. I planted Epimedium pinnatum ssp. colchicum under a big pine tree, where I removed English Ivy and Bindweed (most people seem to call it Perennial Morning Glory here). I knew for a few years I would be doing frequent weed patrol to kill off resprouts, but I knew I would win in the end as it is a limited area surrounded by pavement. I have weeded every few weeks all summer. Yesterday I noticed this- I had just patrolled a week before, but did not notice this bindweed sprout, BECAUSE FROM A DISTANCE THE LEAVES LOOK THE SAME SIZE, SHAPE, HEIGHT AND COLOR! This may be a real problem once the Epimedium fills in as a groundcover. I have also noticed this same leaf lookalike problem with some sprawly Geraniums and creeping buttercup leaves, so I had to get rid of the Geraniums because weeding was too hard (I can't recall now what varieties they were). Also 'Luxuriant' Dicentra and some kind of wild dicentra which is a bit invasive.
Have you had problems like this? Epimedium is touted as a great dry shade groundcover but now I am not so sure...

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Some weeds are truly devious. I have also had the problem with the buttercup and geranium, also some weed that has a similarity to strawberry leaves, though I don't know what it was. Bindweed is one of my arch enemies, however, since it is strong enough to take down a tree if left to its own devices.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.