Tiger Lily Care

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Now that my tiger lilies have bloomed, should I cut them way back? Also, should I dig them up and see if they need dividing. Well, actually when I say "them" it's actually one that came up and bloomed nicely but it was missing for 3 years. We had a lot of rain this year; I mean waterfalls of rain. I wonder if that is why it came up, at last.
I think tiger lilies are pretty hardy, but should they be mulched in the winter?

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Woodspirit, do you have a photo of the bloom and stem? Is it a true lily? True lilies need some moisture but must have good drainage and lots of good sun. I think you need to make some changes, possibly to the soil and location. They are generally very hardy to your zone if they are true lilies.
Marcia

I did change out a lot of soil this year and added a lot of composted horse manure. So it came up and bloomed. Now I wonder if I should cut it down since it just finished and is producing the black berries. Some of the berries are falling off and one or two have little roots coming out.. I need to know: 1) should I plant all the berries and 2) should I cut down the plant once I have removed the berries. Also 3) Should I mulch them over the winter.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

The black berries are actually bulbils.

You can plant the bulbils (drop them is what I do because that is what nature would do - see the 3rd picture which shows plants coming up from fallen bulbils from last 2 years) wherever you want to, give them away, or discard them. Each will produce a mature plant in a few years. I have many lilies coming up around the pot the mother plants are in. Now I throw the bulbils around the backyard where I want them to come up.

Do not cut your stems down until they have dropped all their leaves and are still green. They are putting energy back into the bulb for next year's growth and blooms.

You do not have to mulch tiger lilies since they are very hardy.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Quote from hcmcdole :
Do not cut your stems down until they have dropped all their leaves and are still green.

Errr... I would revise the above advice to say that you should not cut down the stems while they are still green. When the stems have turned yellow, they are no longer photosynthesizing, and can be cut down.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Quote from altagardener :

Errr... I would revise the above advice to say that you should not cut down the stems while they are still green. When the stems have turned yellow, they are no longer photosynthesizing, and can be cut down.

I think that is exactly what I said altagardner. Maybe I should've been clearer on the "..are still green". I meant while the stems are still green (obviously the spent leaves are not important after they drop but the stems are if they are still green). Hope this is clearer this time around.

Thanks folks. I didn't cut them yet and glad I held back unclear clarification. It wasn't because I misunderstood, just not getting out in the garden much because of limping around so much on a knee that will soon get replaced.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.