Great Golden Digger Wasp in Olympia

South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

Has anyone observed these little beneficial creatures in the Puget Sound area recently? I've been gardening the same spot for 12 years, and this is the first year they have appeared on our property. I know they are common in Eastern WA, just didn't know if they are new to the area.

They share space with the Mason bees on the mint and oregano blooms. Fun to watch, but I was intimidated by the sight of them at first. Now I'm going to learn to love them...

Thumbnail by galega Thumbnail by galega
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I'll look for them. I have several different kinds of bees around, and I've seen some ground dwelling as well as nest building wasps, but I don't know exactly what kinds they are. Where do tyhe golden diggers tent to hang out and make their homes?

South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

They live on plant nectar, so they love my mint and oregano right now and that's really the only place I have seen them. They apparently like bare dirt for digging their nests, dragging in bugs to feed future offspring and then laying their eggs. I've noticed a few small holes in the ground, but haven't seen any bigger ones that would be their size.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.