What do I do for lilies?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I have some of the big newer lilies, and wonder if they need to be dug, fertilized or what? I have a lot of the more ordinary lilies that multiply like rabits, and I never do anything for them except dig and divide every so often.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Keep them in the ground and overwinter. They will be fine and next summer should be even bigger and better.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Will they develop more stems? Each bulb I planted has only one stem. (But it's a big "only"!)

Pleasant Prairie, WI

Some do and some don't--depending on the cultivar (the name of the lily). The way you describe your new lilies as being 'big' or bigger than others that you have sort of hints that they may be an Oriental Trumpet cross. These are usually larger and stronger than either of their parents with even more flowers with a lot of fragrance. But many of those don't multiply as fast. Also, new developments with lilies has led to the introduction of tetraploid lilies--meaning they have twice as many chromosomes as the regular diploid and they can get up to six to eight feet tall. All lilies should be winter hardy in Iowa with just a little mulch after the ground freezes at the surface. Oak leaves three or four inches deep make an excellent mulch. Snow cover will do the rest.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Caitlin, if they are not OTs, they may be orientals. Asiatics multiply much faster than orientals as you noted. Lilies in general only produce one stem. I have experienced a fused double stem, but that is an anomaly.

When the bulb produces its stem, it produces the buds as well (even if you cannot see them).

In winter storage as well as warmer weather, just make certain the lilies have good drainage.

Once the lilies have bloomed, remove the seed head, and that will prevent the bulb from putting its energy into seed pods.
Marcia

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Here's one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caitlinsgarden/9503507574/

Here's another:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caitlinsgarden/9488413264/
The tall White with pink in the upper left is the tallest and most fragrant one I have.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2013 10:12 AM

This message was edited Aug 19, 2013 10:13 AM

Pleasant Prairie, WI

The first two in photo #1 are hybrid Asiatics. They should multiply pretty well quite rapidly; especially the orange colored one in the upper right corner. That one is a Longiflorum X Asiatic hybrid called Royal Sunset. The last one in photo #2 is a Longiflorum X Oriental hybrid called Triumphator. These are perfectly hardy for Iowa winters. Just cut the old flowerhead off to prevent it from going to seed and you'll have lots more little plants come up around the mother plants next spring. Do not cut the stem and green leaves back, however. These are the food factories that are building a larger bulb with more flowers for next year. After the stem and leaves turn yellow and fall you can cut back to about two inches above ground level. Mulch a little after the ground freezes and that's it. Lilies prefer being left alone and are, for the most part, pretty much care free.

You asked about fertilizer, also. Lilies require very little fertilizer, generally applied only twice per year. Once when the new shoots are about two inches high in the spring and again just before the flowers open. And then only lightly with a well balanced fertilizer like time release 10-10-10.

Keep in mind also that day lilies--the other lilies I see you have--are really not true lilies at all.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2013 5:49 PM

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Thank you, roosterlorn! Yes, Royal Sunset rings a bell...Love leaving plants alone. If I mulch with compost that would likely do for fertilizer also, maybe? Eventually I can tease out a few of the baby bulbs and give them more growing room?

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Caitlin, Roosterlorn gave you excellent advice.

Your flowers are lovely. The lilies are lovely in the beginning photos, and the rest of the flowers, mostly day lilies are very pretty. My only advice is to make sure your hemerocallis (daylilies) don't choke out the liliums.

Marcia

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Thank you Cathy. I also have some of my artwork on flickr if you are interested!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Love to look at your artwork. I'm a photographer, definitely a voyeur (LOL).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.