Can I cut back in the spring?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

If I cut off the first lily sprout, will another appear? If so I'd like to try it in hopes that some of my really tall lilies will be a little shorter. I have some Yelloween, for instance, that are five feet tall, but some are a nice 3 feet or less.

TIA
LAS

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I have never known a lily to be a rebloomer like a rosebush. To my knowledge and experience, when a lily sends up its stem, it has a definite/defined number of potential buds. Sometimes you can see them while the stalk is still young, especially the asiatics. Cutting the stalk removes the potential buds at the terminus. As for the height of the lily, it is fairly well bred into the lily variety, and if you research the lily, it will likely provide the anticipated range of height. You may also want to do a little research on bulbs, corms and rhizomes as opposed to fibrous root plants and annual flowers.

Lilies usually grow to their full or almost full height before the buds develop more fully. Besides the average height, a lot of things may determine how tall a lily grows, including soil conditions and food, light and proper drainage. I am not certain if proper spacing and bulb depth have an effect on height.

Yelloween is an orienpet hybrid. If you plant in the spring, the first year the bulb may produce a stem of one height, and depending on the size of the bulb and how it spent the winter, it may grow much taller in future seasons. My first year lilies never grow as tall as subsequent years. (They really like those cold, inground winters.) My assumption is that smaller bulbs grow shorter plants.

If you want to have shorter lilies, choose varieties that are generally shorter based on their descriptions. "Stargazers" are stately at 3-4 or more feet in height in my yard. "After Eights" have a similar bloom but ours have never grown more than 18-24 inches, tops. They have been bred to be shorter.

Keep in mind that when a grower/vendor is selling bulbs, descriptions may be exaggerated. Many boast very tall plants with huge blooms.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

My son broke several stems of my lilies at different stages throughout the year and unfortunately that means no flowers on those until next year.

I rearranged some of my lilies in the spring and the ones that are closest to the house are always tall doesn't matter which ones they are I think because they don't get as much sun as the others. If they're not already all together maybe you can move the taller ones to the shorter ones?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Oh, now that's interesting. The ones at the back may be reaching up above the wall behind them! They don't need to be in the back. I'll try moving them forward. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.