What are these?

Glendale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I swear I can't for the life of me remember what the name of these are. I'm looking for the name of these red/purplish plants. The stems are red and the leaves are reddish purple. The tops get red tufted bloom that is full of seed. They re-seed themselves very easily. Actually, they re-seed all over the place. After the blooms start to fade, if one cuts the stems down, the plant sends up new shoots from the stem and grows new foliage. They love the hot sun. In the picture, they were originally planted in the pot but as you can see, they have re-seeded themselves down on the ground as well.
What are they?

Thumbnail by cactusjumper
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Celosia.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Cool greenman on the wall! Where did you get him?

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I can't keep the celosia alive in the summer here in Phoenix. What is the exposure? How much water?

Glendale, AZ(Zone 9b)

judyb Thank you. I swear my mind is going totally empty.

2ndChance, I got the greenman from a site on the internet. Its been so long ago now that I have forgotten which one. Sorry. You can do a search to find one, but I don't think it is called "greenman". Isn't it really a replica of a garden God or something like that? If I come across the site again, I'll be sure to let you know.

NancySLAZ, My Celosia, grow out in full sun all day long. And they reseed themsleves each year. I have only had this luck with the red ones. For some reason they yellow and other colors just don't make it. I do water them daily during the hottest part of the summer. I think I bought one plant years ago, and when it dies during the winter, I just wait for new ones to come up and transplant them back to the places I want them. Sometimes, I find them coming up in areas that I used to have them a year ago. Oddly, they didn't come up the summer after I took the old ones out, but did a year later. How odd. Anyway, they do VERY well in the summer. The trick I found was that after the tops start fading after blooming, if I cut the stalks down leaving about 7 inches out of the soil, they start growing new stems off the old one and start all over again with nice new leaves and blooms. Then they look great again for the rest of the summer. Try the red ones. They may do better for you too. I don't know where you are in the valley, if you are, but gosh, I have a good 10 to 15 new plants about an inch tall that I would be happy to give you. I'm way up off of Bell and about 43rd ave if you are any where close. They do seem to tolerate transplanting pretty easily.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks so much for the offer cactusjumper. Unfortunately I live in Sun Lakes on the other side of the Valley. I will definitely follow your advice though and try the red ones. I've only had yellow and orange. Also I didn't know about cutting them back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.