Mailing oriental poppy plants

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Do you think that this would be a good time to mail perennial oriental poppy plants to somebody in Virginia? How would you recommend packing it? They have already bloomed and their foliage cut back. Should I dig them up leaving some soil on them, and maybe place some newspaper around them? What about sitting the roots/soil in plastic bag? How do I keep the soil from going all over the place in the box? Or should I wait till fall to ship? Can I dig them up now and pot them up , to get them ready for shipping? The weather is in low 80's and for next 10 days, it's not supposed to go over 85 degrees.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Pippi! How's everything going with you? I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question but I'm sure someone here does.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Pippi just my two cents. Weather is as good as it's gonna get til Fall cool off.
Best to ship Priority Mail in a flat rate box. You can get a med or lg flat rate box at Post Office to see if your plants will ship cheaper that way, but Priority Mail gives you a tracking number so you can see where package is in transit and when delivered.

JBerger likes to ship on Mon or Tues and I argree...plants should arrive Wed thru Fri.

How you do up plants for shipping has to do with how ready Virginia recipient is to plant them. If person ready to plant or pot up poppies on arrival then dig with root ball and some soil, wrap in some slightly damp newspaper and insert all in plastic bag tied or twist tied tightly around stems.

If person not ready to plant until fall, you can dig plants when you are ready but will have to pot them up and maintain them until shipped.

Good luck. They should do fine since the weather won't totally cook them.

How nice of you to share!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Pippi! I was just thinking of you! I hope you and your DH are doing ok!

How far into Virginia are these plants going? If fairly close, maybe we could relay them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.