Edible weeds - your favorites?

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Oh sounds great but I don't know where any vines are. I ight go on a walk. I am guessing you are a little ahead of us. I am zone 5.

I picked a a bloom of queen annes lace and I am sure I have the right thing. Hairy stem, purple dot flower in center. I just picked the flower but didn't smell carrot, does that smell come from the root?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, the root but the leaves usually smell like that as well. But I'm in zone 7a so that might make a difference.

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/qp9aj127/queen-annes-lace-jelly-or-flower-jelly.html

Göppingen, Germany(Zone 7b)

Aegopodium podagraria is a real invasive monster, but I love to put some in my salad - It's a bit like parsley, but not as intense in taste, so you can put in more.

Not Invasive, but really tasty: Dahlia petals! As a bonus: you'll never forget the faces of your guests when serving a bowl of bright pink salad ;-)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Sounds very good. Yes, you don't usually get bright pink in your salads.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

mmmm. Can't wait for summer to try it!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I noticed VV said he just pulled a "mess" of it. That's definitely a term we use around here in TN and KY.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

AND - if it was on my schedule of "to - do's", then I'd observe:

"I'm fixin' to pull a mess of it."

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, indeed. Although people usually think of a "mess" as a negative, the word can definitely connote something positive. :)

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I had a nice fresh mess of greens and turnips yesterday. As well as a pot of peas with some coins thrown in to bring money in the New Year.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Love greens, love turnips, love coins. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.