The red neck way to pick figs!

Anderson, TX(Zone 8a)

Too funny!

Thumbnail by jessaree Thumbnail by jessaree
Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Hey-whatever works! If I was lucky enough to have a Fig tree that big I would do whatever I had to! I love them but have been Fig Deprived since moving away from Louisiana.

This message was edited Aug 3, 2013 1:16 PM

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

LOVE IT! That is SOME fig tree...........

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

thats hilarious! JoParrott...why dont you try planting a brown Turkey fig...should do well in the Tri-cities.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Quote from drobarr :
thats hilarious! JoParrott...why dont you try planting a brown Turkey fig...should do well in the Tri-cities.

Do you think it would make it here? We have some sustained low temps here in the winter.

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm growing one successfully here in 6b...with your warmer and drier climate it should do real well.

John

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Good - now if only I can find a cutting to root!

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a hardy fig from Raintree which is located in WA. I ahve ordered from them before.
http://www.raintreenursery.com/Hardy-Chicago-Fig-Gallon-Pot.html

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Celeste is another fig that does well in colder weather. The fruits are a little smaller than Brown Turkey. We grow Brown Turkey in Atlanta and Celeste and Brown Turkey in the N.GA mountains (7a) where our elevation is 1,600 ft.. It gets quite cold in the mountains. Best to plant figs in borderline zones on the south side and with some weather protection, like against a wall.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Jessaree those are darling pics. Last year my Celeste fig was so tall that I would have needed a big ladder to harvest fruit. I did not and vowed to shorten the tree. Darling husband obliged and here it stands...

We have done extreme pruning before with no ill effects.

Thumbnail by vossner

2/3 of cut branches

Thumbnail by vossner

Fig wood is a good smoking wood if you have a smoker.

will make a note of that for next time. branches are already in the burn pile. yes, we have a smoker which we use often, mostly with pecan and mesquite wood. Have tried apple wood also.

have u used it? isn't it too wet?

This message was edited Feb 20, 2014 6:07 PM

We have used all the fruit woods on our property...apple, pear, plum, mulberry, fig, and blueberry as well as thorny berry branches such as raspberry and blackberry. Wild blackberry is a curse here so there's no end to blackberry options. We sometimes make mixtures. We don't have mesquite unless gifted by friends but have tons of hickory that's always falling. If it is not toxic and is aromatic it is good for smoking. I've not tried roses but maybe they are good. I like fig to smoke salmon, bluefish or chicken. We do a lot of salmon. Though fig is often recommended for meat I've not tried it on meat just the other foods mentioned.

here is a fun link that lists the different woods, the meats you can smoke with each and a brief description of expected flavoring. I might just go to my burn pile and grab a few branches for some fig smoking.

Also noticed that you can use citrus. I bet that would be fun to use.

http://brownwaternavyanddeltaarmyvietnamveterans.yuku.com/topic/7753/Fig-Wood-4-Smoking#.UwaobJWx7IU

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I've trimmed our wild pecan trees from the bucket of a Massey Ferguson. So maybe I will mention to my neighbor who keeps calling me Yankee that I am a redneck too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.