New Pond in Progress 2

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I put about a 6 inch cement footer under the blocks. In the areas where there will be more wear and tear, like a place where someone may stand or sit, or a corner, I have 2 rows of block on top of the footer. I put rebar inside the block and wet cement, just for a little additional "hold". I'll leave an 8inch ledge inside the block, as a plant shelf, so it adds a little extra packed structure before digging the deeper sections. I'm not making it deeper than 3-4 feet, we don't get a freeze, and I have a sun shade-cloth that will go over one end to eliminate the hot afternoon sun.

Actually, the most time involved was digging up all of my plants, and putting them in containers so that I can someday replant them! They are alllll over the place, and actually in the way, but I didn't want to lose the ones I had collected through the years.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh Mary, I am so with you about babying our plants. This past week I have been digging and preparing my Japanese irises for their move to the WKBG, it's necessary as I just can't take care of everything any more, but heartbreaking, too! I have 52 different ones and they will make a nice new addition to the botanical garden in Owensboro. My son is on the board of directors, so it's like a living family legacy. I'll get to visit occasionally, might hit it when they are blooming. The water lilies are just beautiful right now and my nephew has agreed to take the pond and move it to his yard. I'll be posting pictures of that endeavor as it happens. He'll probably have to rent a bobcat to dig the hole. I have a huge rubber liner, lots of good years left in it.

Wow! What a great idea! A living legacy! How nice that they're not going to a compost pile somewhere. (and someone else will weed their beds!)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Good for you Mittsy. You will be able to visit your plants when in the area. A living legacy is a wonderful idea.
Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

M. Mary,
If you need any nursery pots to hold plants temporarily I have around 200 and would be glad to bring you some as I certainly don't need them.
Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Doesn't seem possible but come around July 2014 new pond will be in for 2 years. Lots of changes have taken place but thankfully no leaks in either smaller old pond or new one.
Since last year, heron ate 1/2 of old ponds contents just a couple of weeks ago, larger pond has 10 new fish all over 2 feet. Being Jan. 2014 weather has had cold snaps but all fish are still living. Need to get some new plants for both ponds but that's a minor job.
Have pots of sweet flag still floating around. Cold doesn't seem to bother them.

Hope every ones ponds are thriving and you are looking forward to spring enjoyment.

Bonnie

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

We are still running 38-45 F and ice on pond continues to melt. Gold fish is still in skimmer. I know it won't last and we will get super dumped before spring. I looked a pics from last year and know I have to be patient. three more months of ample snow on the ground though the raised beds might be poking up by then (end of april)

Athens, PA

Mary - we are still colder than you are and you are in Alaska. Something not right about that. We are supposed to have extended frigid temps. Ugh! Anything below 68 degrees for me is cold.

Bonnie - glad things are going well for your ponds. Time does fly doesn't it?

I am watching the DVD's Dave made of the pond during the summer. So glad they have sound, right now it is the only way I am getting my waterfalls!

I never thought about that. My camera will take moving pictures, albeit not very long but still. Even my phone does and it picks up sound. Amazing.

Athens, PA

I have some vidoes on my phone that I took last summer of the pond. Wonder what we did before cell phones.

Had fewer interruptions???

Athens, PA

Mary - you are so right and I knew that when I typed it. I can still hear the conversation between my mother and myself some years ago when cell phones were first coming out. "I don't want to be available every minute of the day". There is something to that, isn't there?

Fortunately not that many people have my number. I only got one for my children (when they were grown) and husband so they could get in touch with me if they had to. I can be pretty certain if it rings it is one of them, and with James in Hawaii, it was either Damien or Laura. Now just Damien. They are so convenient though. Just being able to call and remind D to pick up something at the store on his way home is nice.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

My son said he would never get a cell phone. Now he has one that does everything but eat for you. He calls them a tether. His wife lives on hers. Sometimes to the extent I consider it rude.

One time when I was very glad I had one was when I was hit in the back in my van I had for my business. 911 in a hurry is very handy. My old fashioned husb. won't part with his at all.
Rarely uses it but keeps it right in his top shirt pocket so he never misses a call even though he can't hear very well. Usually we get good reception and transmission. Now I'm hooked on them too. I don't text as I'd rather talk to someone and it would cost me more on my program and I don't use it for checking internet that is also an extra charge. Let's face it we aren't going to go back to not having them.

Keep warm all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.