Summer 2013 and moving forward (cont)

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

We came from here................http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1310369/

Let's keep the tradition of sharing pics of our gardens going. I think David will be happy to know that we are continuing what he started.

Mini hibiscus is still happy
Front garden is happy after all the rain.

Can't take new pics till I have a chance to mow!!!!

Thumbnail by Qwilter Thumbnail by Qwilter
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Good morning…
I probably should have waited until I got all these weeds pulled to take a couple of pics. But, If I did wait, then I'd most probably never get pics done!!!
A partial view of a bed in the front yard…The sun is too bright this morning for a different angle…Try that later. :-)
And a lonely little Asclepias waiting for a butterfly!

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1

I'm heading out with gloves & clippers to pull weeds & trim some shrubs back. Of course, as soon as I get going, the next downpour will come.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Well I'm glad you are continuing the thread Qwilter, not sure what happened with David, guess I missed what happened there. Your garden is looking so nice, and that sure is a bright hibiscus flower.

tlm1, what is the vine in the middle photo with the white flowers? The monarch cats have eaten all my milkweed, except a little bit of the giant milkweed. They ate up all my passion vine also, I mean all of it, flowers and every single leaf. I hope it all comes back, they may have done my younger plants in.

I worked at putting in two new little areas last week, so I had a place for some more plants. I have my Amaranthus seedlings in the ground now, and they're sort of doing okay...hoping they'll take off, one is. I found stuff around the garden to border from the last little bit of grass I have back there. Sorry the pics are a bit blurry, it was late and light not good.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Very pretty additions sunkissed. The vine is Passiflora incarnata 'Alba'. By this time last year the Gulf Frit cats had mostly devoured it. This year though, it seems like there is only one, maybe two GF's out there, and no cats, so far. I'm kind of disappointed because that's basically why I planted it. Just doesn't seem to be as many Butterflies at all this year. :-(

Sunkissed - looks like an enchanted garden. i like paver walkways. I hope to have some eventually.
I've been out dealing with weeds since 1030. Just ran out of string in my edger. Luckily I got the area in front of the house trimmed before it ran out.
Now to get the mower going. Want to mow before my bug guy comes to treat this afternoon.

Luckily the rain is still holdin goff but it has sprinkled a few times.

We've had several rain showers today, which kept me from more weed pulling. But a couple more shots …different angle…

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1
Greenback, TN(Zone 7a)

Tim your Rosemary is deluxe !

Tara -Front bed is looking much fuller than a few weeks ago.

Thanks LoveBrug…I found the secret to keeping them healthy is constant pinching. They LOVE to be used. I use it in everything from Meats to Veggies to Breads!

Yeah Q, It is really beginning to fill in. Still have some empty spots where those Amaryllis came out, but I've got some Gaillardia that I started from seed, and also some that a neighbor has shared, that I'll be adding tomorrow.(I hope) If all goes as planned.

Flagler Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm here, a little upset, I don't have my master gardener giving me advice, but I still get great advice from everyone else, so " what shall be, shall bee!" lol, I know I did it on purpose, be and bee!!! David will be missed!

Tara, I've never seen a white passi, how cool, I thought the leaves looked liked a passiflora. I guess all the butterflies are in my garden, they are still trying to lay eggs on bare plants, I'll let them know to head your way...LOL. Oh and that Rosemary bush is awesome!

We finally got some rain yesterday, so glad the garden was in need of some rain...now my barrel is full again. Sure cooled us off last night.

Hi Jami, David did know gardening and gave some great advice, we do learn from each other all the time. Now I must go out and pinch my rosemary bush. :-)

-Sherri

My patio is 99% done!!!!! I'm so excited to be able to walk out the sunporch or kitchen doors & land on other than weeds & dirt & wonky bricks I had laid out as a pathway. And a place to put my table!!!!!

Now I can seriously start working on the garden that buts up to it!!!!!

But, next task today is to pull weeds & trim the tomato plants out back.

SO happy for you Q!!! Can't wait to see it all "dressed up"!!!!

Patio.................Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...................patio
Well, then I needed to widen the original pad so we can get around the new, larger, heat pump.

Now the guys cleared the area where the patio is & did they find any tree roots??? Of course not. I go to clear that narrow strip and what do I run into???? The tree roots in the 2nd pic. Luckily the tree came down 5 years ago and the root was partly rotted. The 1 section of gnarled root was ~4' long with octapus like arms coming out in all directions.
What I thought would take 30 min ran into 2 hours.

Need more pavers but it will work for now.

Thumbnail by Qwilter Thumbnail by Qwilter
Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Hello all,
I have truly missed being able to sign on to DG for the past month. Everyone as tired as I am with pulling weeds and cutting the lawn as I am? I would much rather be pruning things that's for sure. Everyone's pics look great! I have been busy putting up a privacy fence and developing new garden spots the fence has provided. Here are some pics from around the yard here. They are Plumeria, Brugmansias, the Ocala Papayas, and a bed of dune sunflowers. On a mission today to kill as many Lubbers as I can find.

Thumbnail by tony9779 Thumbnail by tony9779 Thumbnail by tony9779 Thumbnail by tony9779 Thumbnail by tony9779

That white Trumpet is nothing short of AMAZING!!!!!! I sure hope mine will look 1/4 that good when she finally starts opening the buds.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Your Brug is absolutely beautiful!

All of mine, except for one, insist on growing in tree form and I do have plans of cutting above the 'Y' to see if I can start a bushier brug.

I'm a little uncertain of exactly where to cut it though.........one of the 'Y' branches, I would assume!

Wow tony, that brug is awesome...so many flowers at once...how nice.

Q, love the new patio, was hoping you'd post a picture of it...you're going to love having that to step out on. I know about roots, I have dug up my share of them. That is a whopper. :-)

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

That white Brug is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I don't think I have ever seen one so full of blooms like that!!!

Beware of where you cut your Brug. They will only bloom above a new "Y". That's the reason mine is just now getting buds.
Mine is one of few I've ever seen that is bushier than tree-like.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Is this the right time to prune brugs? All of mine are tree like and I'd like them bushier and shorter.
I have 1 close to house and 2 out in full sun. All grow like crazy.
I've got some starburst cleradendrum that are completely out of control and are taking over so some of them have to go. They are about 10 feet tall now and crowding other shrubs. Guess I'd better get busy with the loppers and cut them way down. Some could be pulled out cause they spread so easily.
Happy gardening to all and I will prune my rosemary. It's outback along carport, gets NO attention but grows like crazy. I like it on potroast.
Bonnie

6 -16" pavers & 18 bags of mulch later, the back patio area is shaping up nicely. The planting area wraps around the back side of the house. Still need to add more mulch and decide onhow to edge, but it is coming along.

The crazy overgrown garden area. A bit of everything going on. Everything from tomatoes to hibiscus to lemon balm. Will be re-doing it in the Fall so it is a bit less "wild" looking.

Thumbnail by Qwilter Thumbnail by Qwilter Thumbnail by Qwilter

Bonnie, I really had no idea when to trim a brug, but this article says in the fall, after it blooms. Of course for us in FL it could bloom all year, so maybe if you're not getting any flowers now, you could go ahead and trim it.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/tips-prune-brugmansia-38034.html

This is another great clip on how to cut back: http://www.trumpetflowers.com/info/pruning-a-brugmansia.htm

Hope this helps.

Qwilter, you've been working hard. It really looks great so far. Look at all that room to plant new plants too. ☺

Q…I agree…You have been very busy! It's looking SO good! I know you've got to be thrilled with the patio…It is gorgeous!…Yeah, I could see stepping out every morning with a cup of coffee, and SO enjoying the world around me!!!!! Wonderful!!!!

Figure I'll wait till we are back from vacation to put the chairs & umbrella out there.
I'm just so glad there is now something nice outside the sunporch door & i'm no longer bringing all the dirt in with me.

If it isn't raining tomorrow AM, perhaps I will enjoy a cup out there and watch the sun rise over the garden.

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Good Morning!
Here in Ocala the Brugs die (freeze) back to the ground every winter. My annual routine for them would be to cut all green stems right before freezing temps and cut them up for cuttings, I stick them in a 5 gallon bucket of water and root them.

As the new growth emerges from the ground in the Spring they are pinched when they are at around 12". They began to divide where you pinch them and you build a bush like plant from that point. Some of the bigger ones here are over 6' tall already

Jacksonville, FL

Looks great Jean!

Thanks Linda. Sure can't say the work has been "easy" but I have a lot more done than I thought I'd do this Season. But, definately a lot still to do - Fall projects.

Looking forward so seeing your gardens at the get-together.

Thanks tony9779 for the info. Maybe we just let ours get too lanky. They will freeze back here too, but haven't the past couple winters.

Jean, hope you had your coffee on that new patio this morn. :)

-Sherri

No time this AM................5 mi walk then aerobics. Will be out there tomorrow AM!!!!

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

I just came in from fertilizing and am soaking wet myself!!! My neighbor just completed her 10 mile run! Very still and overcast here today--good for my 100 daylilies that got planted this week. I had the delightful company in the front this morning of a 4 inch long gopher tortoise who was weeding my original daylily bed for me!
Since the addition of the misters and moving the vandas to full sun all day long almost every one has sent up a spike I moved the dendrobiums and some catts into the area above the koi pond and have continued to have those misters come every day as well. Same there! Spikies everywhere!!!!!!! The pool cage does cut thirty percent of the sun so I MAY underline MAY have found the right spots finally. Of course all the rain isn't hurting either!
Orchid fertilize day tomorrow!
Happy Sunday!
Debi.

As nice as it is to not have to run the sprinkler or drag the hose, I'd sure like an occassinal sunny day!!!!

Jacksonville, FL

Jean--I have been slowly making progress. I know what I want the gardens to look like, but I am thinking the concept will take another year to complete my all my planned ideas and projects

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

Managed to get the orchids fertilized before I passed out from the closeness. I think I need gills!
Orchids have taken off! The new misters give off 1/2 gallon per minute. The vandas are getting 6 minutes twice daily and are in the pool cage in full sun . One has a little less sun but is in the process of putting out a spike as are almost every one of the others. I am fertilizing weekly, as long as it doesn't rain that morning. The dendrobiums and catts have the same misters, are only watered once a day and are shaded in the afternoon. The vandas were in that spot, but not enough sun. All dendrobiums and catts are beginning to bloom like mad. Other catts and some phales are watered when I remember, but mist from the outdoor irrigation thru the screen twice weekly as well. The tree orchids look good as well--Drowning them has helped.
Saw a wonderful garden under an oak yesterday and am going to start moving some gingers and large philodendron to my oak tomorrow--if I can get some help. Digging in this ""soil"is like digging in the middle of the road.
Debi

Good luck with digging under an oak. I couldn't find one small spot to put a plant in under my huge live oak. I just put potted plants there instead.

Q, I thought I was the only person that walked 5 miles...too bad we don't live closer, be nice to have a walking buddy that can go that distance. ☺ However I don't do aerobics afterwards...lol.

I'm afraid if I sat outside to have coffee the skeeters would carry me off. :-)

Just had quite the storm come thru. So much for getting the lawn mowed this afternoon. Still rather dark out so guess there will be more rain before it's over.

4-5 mi in the hot weather & then more once it is cooler out. Luckily we have a few very nice paths/sidewalks in the area so not always going to the same places. And for the long routes we go by places with public bathrooms!!!!

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

Just to clear a little confusion up...I'm Tara. :) I kept seeing my name associated with some chats and I was confused as to what everyone was talking about...lol. I understand now what was going on.
Glad everyone moved over here. You guys are the best bunch of people on Daves Garden. Still miss David though :(

Hi Tara, I'm Tara also! Nice to meet you! :-)

I was looking for a pic today & got to organizing the pics on my phone. Found some pics of what the gardens looked like in May/early June. Hard to believe how much everything has grown this Summer.
Now I'm looking forward to getting more plants in the Fall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.