When it rains it pours!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Well, I had been complaining about not yet getting any rain. Of course then we got some in that storm that came over from west to east just now... way too much, tree down (Palo Verde) on top of multiple cacti and other plants... Back yard flooded, a large piece of the Lemon tree down...
The views of the water spraying sideways off rooftops in the wind were spectacular, but just enough damage to the yard front and back to be unhappy about it.
It is wait and see if part of the Palo Verde can be saved otherwise I will be covering things in shade cloth for the rest of the year or digging them up.

Phoenix, AZ

That bites :( Hope some things can be salvaged.
Dry as a bone here in north phoenix.

Phoenix, AZ

Not a drop of rain here in north phx. Looks like Chandler got lot of rain..watched it on tv.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yeah, the main storm came over the southern part of Mesa and northern part of Chandler (we are in south Mesa at the 101), it was generally moving west to east, got some very hard winds (as said it was impressive to see that water get blown around sideways coming of roofs and what not). They started more or less from the W - WSW and then turned as the storm progressed to coming from the ESE, and everything in between.

The lemon tree is the unexpected loss, the Palo Verde I had been worried about because it is so big that it was impossible to keep it trimmed down enough. It is one of the Desert Museum hybrids that just grow and grow (even without any watering) until they are so big that it is just a matter of time, but I know from the other two trees that we lost 3 years ago that if the stump is left in the ground in three years time we will have a small-medium sized shade tree back...

I am happy we got the rain, but I wish the winds would have been a little less, I had to go dig out a bunch of tall columnar cacti from under the fallen tree branches, so far they look like they survived just got knocked about and off kilter a bit, which would be good.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm in West Mesa near Fiesta Mall and we had winds gusting to 16 mph and .18" of rain, so I didn't experience anything like what you did, just a nice soaking.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Frogymon, looking out the window we could see that the storm did not extend much further north of us, so that makes absolute sense. no rain gauge or weather station for me except for temperature, but at one point both my wife and I thought the windows might get blown in.
My back yard got pretty flooded, but as a testament to how dry it has been it got soaked up really quickly when the rain stopped.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Not one drop here Central Phoenix, just humidity!

Phoenix, AZ

Finally, we got good rain yesterday night here in north phoenix with loud thunder and lightning.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

And that storm passed us by completely. We could hear it, but got very little if anything.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Not a drop here.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

We finally got some last night. First rain all monsoon season. Still not very much, but enough that we didn't need to water this morning.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Monday's storm cost us part of two trees, but compared to the rest of the neighborhood we got off relatively lightly, tree after tree uprooted, surprisingly enough there was very little damage to houses, but it looked like a giant had come through and randomly pulled trees out of the ground.
Here are a set of four pictures, the first two of the Palo Verde that lost its main upright trunk, and the next two of the lemon tree that lost one of its 3 main trunks.... they might survive if we can keep the crazy storms to a minimum the rest of the monsoon, just some more rain would be nice... :)

Thumbnail by mcvansoest Thumbnail by mcvansoest Thumbnail by mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

oops wrong button forgot to upload the last picture here it is.

Thumbnail by mcvansoest
Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Got .52" last night; haven't been out to check for damage yet, but had guts up to 25 mph, so I'm not expecting much.

Glendale, AZ(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2013 Finally got some rain and BIG winds here in North West Phoenix. It came in the middle of the night so I didn't get to see it. Fell asleep and slept through the whole thing. Was told it was one heck of a storm though. We have had big winds every night since. Blew and Vacuumed the backyard Saturday and then again on Sunday. Now why didn't I realize I would have to do it all again? :-(
Beautiful day though today July 21. Clouds cutting off the hot sun and although its humid, its so nice to be able to breath again outside.
So sorry to all those that lost plants and trees. Like some, I had a HUGE Desert Museum Palo Verde and after 8 years, it got caught in a wind and split right down the middle. Even though I had a company come out and thin it out just before. Its so sad to loose something one invests so much time and energy into. My hope however, is that no ones homes got any damage. Its bad enough to loose a tree or plants but horrible to damage a home too.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

It is raining right now in Central Phoenix.....like crazy! First rain during the day!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I see the red dot on the weather map, that must be you ;-)

Glendale, AZ(Zone 9b)

July 21 10:40 a.m. Northwest PHX.
OUTSTANDING RAIN. WONDERFUL very nice down pour. Not really hard enough to flood, but enough to run well off the roof and drench everything very well. SO NICE TO FINALLY see Rain during the day. Now this is a GREAT SUNDAY. I feel alive again. lol We'll pay the price when the sun comes out again, but for now, breath in that cool fresh air. MMMMMMMMM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I hear ya! Been waiting for this one for awhile!

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Only .03" today in west Mesa, but .81" for the week.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.