rotten sand

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

I live in Clearwater, FL & started my first veggie garden this year. Before I planted, I dug down 10 inches & added composted manure, peat moss, & miracle gro veggie soil. Because I have sand instead of dirt, I knew my soil would be super fast draining so After I planted I used miracle grow shake & feed bi-weekly & miracle gro liqua feed every week. After this last month of heavy rains, I increased the amount of the liqua feed to twice a week but still noticed some leaf yellowing (like the plants weren't getting enough nutrients) so I tested my soil again. The Ph is 7.0 but absolutely nothing else registered. The nitrogen could've skated by as low but phosphorus, calcium, & potash, were so low that none registered. How is that possible? I add compost, manure & peat moss on top of the liqua feed & slow dissolving fertilizer! Does any1 have any suggestions for products that might work better for my specific area?

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

How did you test? Did you use one of those multipurpose meters?

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes. It tested the Ph, nitrogen, phosphorus. & potash. I thought it tested calcium but was mistaken. The only thing that registered was a low amount of nitrogen. Nothing else at all.

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

Is there a better or different testing system I could use?

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Well, we have had this come up before in the forums and normally it means the meter is not working correctly. Make sure the switch is in the proper position, double check the directions. try it in some potting soil maybe just to see what it does.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes, a for sure test would be your County extension office. They can even give you precise directions on how best to dig your soil for the test, and will provide details about what it needs depending on what you grow…i.e. veggies(as you stated) also flower beds, shrubbery, etc.

It is a little more involved than the at home test, but your certain to get the best results.

I agree, the meter might not be working properly. :-)

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks guys. I looked up the info for my extension office & I'm going there tomorrow. Thanks again.

Happy to help…Good luck, and Happy gardening!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.