Recycled Swing Set Greenhouse

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

We have an old Yard Swing set that was our grandsons. We want to keep the swing set part and put a Swing in it for us to use. But the part where the little house and the slide was would like to change it into a small greenhouse for myself. I took out the floor in the upper part where the slide was and would like to get the tubing to go over the top where there was a piece of canvas was over the top. Can I use plumbing tubing to go over the top to attach the plastic to or should I use the metal tubing and can it be bent to go over the top. I dont want to put a lot of money in this project, just trying to use what I have. What is the best Mil. of plastic to use? It is going to be a very small but it will suffice for my needs at this time. Sending a pic.

Thanks Sami

Having trouble with the Pic uploads. Will try later.

Trying again to upload my picture. No luck still says uploading. Will try tomorrow. Tried for 10 minutes and it never did upload.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Dmail your pics to Admin. and maybe they will post them for you:

http://davesgarden.com/helpdesk/greenhouse/

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Sami, pics aside, you can use PVC tubing. My first greenhouse was built from PVC tubing: http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/Terry/3570/

It held up reasonably well for several seasons, until I splurged on a kit.

Trying to upload Pics again

Crossville, TN

This is the picture that Sami sent to me!!

Thumbnail by roadrunner

My friend Roadrunner uploaded this pic for me. I just dojn't understand why I can't do the same. This is a old swing set I am recycling to a small greenhouse. I added two more windows from the habitat store and will be working on the top. If I figure out what is wrong with my computer will add more pictures.

Sami

Crossville, TN

I'm glad I could help...after all ...you've helped me out of many hard to get out of situations!!! Remember when we first met and I admired a blazer and slacks you had made...and I ended up with a white blazer and 3 pair of coordinating slacks???LOL Best neighbor I EVER had, this Sami~! Jo

Crossville, TN

Another picture for Sami. Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner

Thanks Roadrunner I now can upload pic. My Tech did a good job. I had several things going on in my computer. Lots of bugs. He got rid of them.

I have a new picture. Added two more windows on each side. Need to put the door on. Got a single small window for that and will add frame around it. Going today to get two more for the roof. Habitat store is wonderful. Good prices. I got four windows the other day for $42 dollars.

sami

Thumbnail by Sami
Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

So very cool, Sami!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I snagged 4 large windows when a friend had all hers replaced last year in hopes of coming up with some sort of a "permanent" greenhouse to supplement my small plastic sided ones. Guess I need to go by H4H and see what they have for windows.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

We're collecting glass shower doors for a roof.

Crossville, TN

Do ya'll have a Restore store near by? One that sells stuff for Habitat for Humananity....they have great "stuff".

Those shower doors sound like a good idea. Jo

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Yep, we've got the ReStore, plus Bring recycling. Portland has a huge construction reuse place, too. The Rebuild store maybe?

Windows are a wonderful thing!

T.

All finished now, did some caulking today and put in a heat lamp for the cold evenings. Going to start some seeds tomorrow

Sami

Thumbnail by Sami Thumbnail by Sami

A little disapointed that the heat lamp did not keep the temp up in the little greenhouse last night. It got down from 80 degrees to 50 last night when I checked it this am. Going to try a little heater in there tonight and see what happens.

Sami

Crossville, TN

Good luck! Jo

Does anyone know if there is a small electric heater that has a thermostat on it to regulate the heat in the greenhouse

Sami

Crossville, TN

Get a ceramic one...cheaper to operate...I'm looking for one. Jo

I put a heater in last night and it held the temp at 60. I did some checking and the ideal temp is 70 to 75 in the day time and 60 to65 at night It is one of those radiator types of heat.I think it has water in the tank. Don't know how economical it is to run. I can set the setting on it too. Going to try it for a few days and see how it does.It was one that Brian had, so since it was a freebie will try it.

Sami

Well I should have turned the temp up last night higher than I did because it got down into the teens last night. It was 40 degrees in the greenhouse this am. Turned it up this morning and it is backk up to 60 now. Going to invest in a heater with a thermastat so it will keep the temp up in the 60's. doing the night.

Sami

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Sami go to a farm store and buy a milk house heater. Cheap to buy and work well. If you don't have a farm store near you google farmtek.com and see what they have.

eweed

Are these milkhouse heaters suppose to better than the ceramic heaters?
Will try anything to keep it warm in there when we have those cold days.

Sami

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Sami how big is your gh. Wattage of the heater is an indication of how much heat it will produce. Heat is heat reguardless of how it.s made.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.