SUMMER 2013 #2

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Very pretty!

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

All the pictures are great!

I also use my iPad mini exclusively, and find it easy to expand slightly to read the small text. I also upped my font size in Preferences to 15, which helped everything else.

I've been very busy adding to my irrigation system, finally getting the lower level set up and fixing what was deficient in other areas. I used soakers around shrubs and established plantings, but prefer sprayers on new plantings to be sure there are no dry spots where baby roots might go thirsty. Marilyn, that bed that was the 'poor relation' finally got a little attention. Next time you come I hope it's up to par with the others!

I also suddenly became the recipient of great riches of irises of all kinds from two different sources- mainly TBI's and Japanese, with a bonus of Spuria and Louisiana (Thank you Mittsy!). Yum! But lots to think about. So they're all in pots, safely ensconced near irrigation to wait out the heat wave we're having before they go into their new homes.

The daylilies are coming into their own. Our stone man is away until after next week, by the they should be in full bloom in the back bed and he'll be able to see why the cairn is too short, lol.

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Pam you have been busy.It ALL looks wonderful.

Thomaston, CT

The beds look wonderful, Pam! Cannot believe you've been working in this heat......Sounds like an awesome group of iris, I love the JIs & spurias.....

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Pam, Nice to get some new iris and an irrigation system. Looking great.

DH is dragging the hoses around as the beds are pretty dry and we have no irrigation system. I attacked the beds today and got a fair amount pruned back and deadheaded. I have all the spiraea to finish pruning as well as a bunch more lavenders and about half the garden to still deadhead tomorrow. Nutgrass and some nasty fast growing vine invading. grrrrrrrrrr. DH did Yeoman's work out in the woods today as he got out the weed whacker and trimmed it all. He had to wear long pants and boots so I don't know how he stood the heat. I flaked out by 3 so I have to hit it hard tomorrow. Patti

Thomaston, CT

Wow.....I couldn't work at all out there today...well, I was babysitting up at the farm anyway. Picked blueberries for 10 minutes....that was enough for me.....

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I worked outside for awhile in the morning then went inside and pickled some jars of spicy dilled Haricots Verts. We went to a farm today as well as to a nursery to see what was going on, but didn't buy anything. Just an outing. I then worked outside this afternoon when it was cooling off. But I can't complain as it was reported that Nantucket was the coolest place in NE today. I took a mess of photo's too. I will post them when I get them organized. Patti

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Loved Pam's pics. Currently I am the irrigation system at our house until I can find where all the hoses, soakers and sprinklers were stored last winter. We're stayin alive. 3 kids back from college--this is why we need a yard sale to make space to find things. I vote for a permanently installed system and a spigot at the top of the hill before I start any new beds.

I left my whole low volume system out last winter, only detaching the hoses and putting a baggie over the end to prevent dirt getting in, and bringing the timer and valves inside. All was well in the spring except for a sprinkler head or two, and one small hose came loose. It's made such a difference! The other thing I did this year which has helped a lot, is take a 100' 'forever' hose, a big heavy thing, and run it toward the far end of the garden. I have another lightweight 100' hose from Costco on a wheeled reel attached to it hidden behind some shrubs. No more lugging!

It's soooo hot, I'm not sorry we're in the city. The thought of going out and working in the garden is just not appealing! I know I'll do it though, once we get back there on Friday. But I don't move very quickly, try to work in the shadier areas as much as possible by waiting until the sun moves behind tall trees, and take lots of water breaks. No heavy digging, as much as I'm dying to finish a couple of projects... But the edges aren't finished, more mulching to do, deadheading and trimming, etc, etc, etc...

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I went out to pick more raspberries so I could make a batch of Blu-Raz jam and had to quit as the sweat was just dripping off my nose. I finished one small batch and now I'm done for the day. Unbearably hot, here! The weeds keep growing but I'll play catch up when it cools off a bit.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I like hearing what Pam has achieved with irrigation.

There is work on the water lines in our street and even though we are a quarter mile from the pumping station, our water pressure is low. At the moment, I can't run any more than one line at a time, so it will require timers for sure. I am trying to interest DH in the hydraulics problem since we're clearly not hiring anyone for this. I have a rain barrel too if I can get it working to collect properly.

One of my cheap soaker hoses that I bought at TGs said it was constructed with lead,and don't drink from it, so that is a bit alarming. I hope the others aren't also, but from now on I shop better.

OK say something nice---the hummers are here enjoying my yard, and oh yeah the circada too.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Louise! I know I was a wall from DG for a while. I was too busy reading up on keeping aquatic plants plus, my baby boy is quite active and keeps me busy. Now I have been archiving photos for days, since it's been too hot to do anything outside. Came here to take a break :)

Thomaston, CT

Most of my flowers have cooked, but a few lilies are looking good......Time Zone, Conca d'or, Nikko Blue?, and some noids.......

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Pretty Marilyn, like the color of the daylily!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Bill I know you couldn't access the facebook pictures so I stuck some on picasa. Hope the link works.....

https://picasaweb.google.com/116484331458286819562/July112013

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

link not found. Patti

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

well that bites!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Ha ! I had it locked...try this. :) One of these should work
https://picasaweb.google.com/116484331458286819562/July112013

https://picasaweb.google.com/116484331458286819562/July112013?authuser=0&feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/transparent_album_background.gif) no-repeat left">
July 11, 2013

This message was edited Jul 20, 2013 7:46 PM

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Beautiful collection of blooms!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Now that was a show!!! Thanks, patti

Lovely!

I'm finally getting edges done, weeding and putting down newspaper as I go. Thanks, wha, for the tip on a good tool, it's been a great improvement on what I was doing before. It's very dry here, all the rain missed us yesterday. I heard distant thunder and the sky was dark, then the sun came out. On the radar, it looked as if the clouds went around us... I guess we're just that little bit higher, the clouds must have been below us.

So today I have to set up the tower yet again, and water the areas that aren't on the system. It's been about two weeks since our last good shower. I'm not worried about the long-established shrubs, etc, but there's lots of other smaller stuff around that will appreciate a good drink, especially since its been soooooo hot. At least the temp sems to be ore reasonable, this morning actually feels cool! :-)

Pics from this weekend. Question: Now that the daylilies are in full bloom, does the cairn look too short? Is it too 'regular,' should it be a mix of more shapes, not just flat, round, flat, round...? Those were my first thoughts, now I find I'm getting used to it. ..

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Your first picture reminds me of Longwood Gardens, all you need is a sign that says Photo opportunity here.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW Pam.Thats such a change from a month ago. Totally beautiful.

South Hamilton, MA

Fantastic photos. The tower looks fine to me.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Absolutely lovely Pam!

Thomaston, CT

Pixie, your blooms are gorgeous! Many, many favorites there. Pam, I like the cairn just the way it is....I think there's enough texture & color in the different rocks to make it special....also like the red & white combo....

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

cairn look great

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

celeste great blooms - what is the 5th from the end with the white edging?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Beautiful Pam, the cairn looks great!
Thanks everyone. :)
Bill thats 'Hollywood Lights'

This message was edited Jul 21, 2013 7:01 PM

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I like the cairn as is too.

Thanks for the votes, everyone. I guess it's like getting a new large piece of furniture that you don't get to pick out yourself. We liked his work when we met him, and we liked him, but then we were very unsure at first about the result. Now we've lived with it as the garden emerged from winter and came to life, and it has grown on us, to the point where if it were changed we would miss it. So it stays as is. Whew!!!

Thomaston, CT

Good decision, Pam!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Berm is all filled in
Rudbeckia Fulgida
Rebloom on Weigelia 'Ghost'
Missed cutting back this mum

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen

The berm looks great-- that was quick! i remember the beginning of it, not very long ago. That is such a pretty mum- do you happen to know its name?

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Lovely berm blooms! I went back and saw the beginning. Amazing how it changed to this.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sorry Pam, that mum is a noid

It looks a lot like Mum Helen Mae at Bluestone. Is it possible?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Got it at a swap

Very pretty!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.