How much PNW sun can an Upside Down Fern take?

Poulsbo, WA

Does anyone have experience with Upside Down Ferns (Arachniodes standishii)? I just bought a couple and I'd like to put them in a sheltered, evenly moist spot that is shady 7 months of the year, but gets sun starting at about 3:00 in the afternoon during the summer. I'm guessing they'll be OK, but would love some advice from anyone who has experience with them. I'm on the Hood Canal, west of Seattle.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Don't know the fern but welcome. Hope you stay around and join us. I grew up in Poulsbo.

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Hi fernfarmer: I may have that fern growing on my property, we just moved in in January and have been cleaning up years of blackberry growth, so haven't gotten to know all the ferns yet, but there are several types growing here. I'll take a look tomorrow and see if any are the Upside Down fern.

Poulsbo, WA

Thanks for the welcome Willowwind2 and Lynnala. Lynnala, did you ever figure out if this is one of the ferns you have and how much sun it's getting?

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Hi fernfarmer; no I haven't, sorry! I failed to look closely at the pictures of the upside-down fern and so when I'm out there I think, darn! Got to look at those pics. You'll have to forgive me, I'm a bit spacey these days, too much going on! Anyway, now I have looked closely at the fern so I know what to look for. It's upside-down! Duh! Will definitely look now!

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Hi fernfarmer; some of my ferns do indeed look like upside-down ferns, but I need to investigate more. I'll have to take a pic and compare them to see if they are indeed that. I'll be back!

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Well, close but no cigar. Looks like what I have is along the lines of a Lady fern by what I can find in the database. Sorry! Let us know how your ferns are doing!

Poulsbo, WA

Thank you for checking, Lynnala, I do appreciate it.

I've kept my plants in their pots in the vicinity of where they will be planted while I'm waiting for the hardscaping to be finished and, so far, they seem to be quite happy. I'm guessing that plants that are content in pots in July/August, will do fine in the ground year 'round.

I'd still love to hear from someone who can confirm my hypothesis, but at this point I feel fairly confident they'll do fine. If the ferns start looking puny next summer, I can always move them (gives me a new excuse to head out to the nurseries!).

Thanks for your interest.

SeaTac, WA(Zone 8a)

I have a bunch of different ferns, polystichum munitum, dryoptens erythrosora, nephrolepis exaltata cordifolia, etc etc.. although I do not have an Arachniodes standishii and my arachniodes simplicior 'variegata' is in pretty much full shade, I have this problem of too much sun for a few months of the year with my ligularia hessei 'gregynog gold'. I have two placed in an area where my tree has not grown in tall enough yet to provide the all year round shade, BUT, I came up with a way to keep them out of the intense sun! I put two taller cheap pots that I got on sale and placed them on the west side of the ligularias. (They are on the north side of my house and get shade until about 3ish too). They are super sensitive and get all "depressed" aka droopy when they get too much sun, so I just placed the pots there during the "sun months" and plan on moving the pots to other places that need a little "highlight" or season interest during other parts of the year. The pots add just enough shade and my ligularias are doing really well while my tree is growing in. Might be an option for you if you love the spot where you put your ferns?

Poulsbo, WA

Thanks poobear, your creative idea could help me solve a challenge I have in another part of my garden where the changing angle of the sun in summer turns part of my "shade garden" into a "sun garden" for much of the day.

I'm still waiting for a landscaper to install some hardscape, so my ferns have been sitting in pots in the area for some time now. They've been fine through the highest light part of the year (and should be even happier once they are in the ground), so I think they'll be OK.

I really like the pot sunscreen idea, thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.