Cherry, Dwarf Flowering

Gainesville, FL

A couple of years ago I bought a couple of Cherry, Dwarf Flowering trees. They were bare root so I don't know what they looked like with leaves. I have something growing in both places where I planted these trees but they don't look anything like the picture of what I bought and they are only about a foot and half high. Does anyone have a picture of a very young one? Do you know if they are slow growers? Maybe I just have a weed. I wouldn't be surprised.

Vista, CA

There are many different flowering cherries, and any of them could be grafted on to a dwarfing rootstock and be called a dwarf, but its leaves should still resemble cherry tree leaves.

Or it may be a genetic dwarf. The only genetic dwarf i have seen is a Nectarine that i have here. It is several years old and less than three feet tall. It looks different than a normal Tangerine, leaves and branches are densely packed together because of only an couple of inches of trunk growth per year. But the fruit does look like small nectarines.

Find the trunk of your plant, and if it is producing leaves and branches, however small, you would know it is not a weed.

If you planted it two years ago, there should have been some growth last year unless it died. What did it look like last year?

Ernie

Gainesville, FL

Thanks for your help. It looks about the same last year. I think it is a weed because you said look at ist trunk. I don't see anything that I would call a trunk. Also yesterday I discovered what looks like the same plant in a spot at the front of my house and this cherry tree(?) is plant way in the back. I have a request into the site where I bought the tree but have not and don't expect to get an answer. We will see.

Vista, CA

254, You should be able to locate the trunk and roots you planted last year, unless it was pulled out by something. It is possible the graft, which is within six inches of the ground, died, but the understock stump should still be there. Very common for suckers to grow from understock roots if the top fails, but they will look like small trees, not like weeds.

Flowering cherries can be beautiful trees, so i hope you are successful in getting them started.

Ernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.