Tiny tiny red spiders in my garden box.

Smithers, Canada

I really need some advice respecting the tiny little red spiders I found running around my garden box today. Both Veggies and flowers.

Are these pests dangerous to my plants? I really do not have a clue, because this is actually my very first garden.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Alpine, I don't have an answer for you, just an anecdote -- as a child, I referred to these as my little friends and played with them on the back porch, being careful that Mom didn't see... They were not there year round, so must have been a hatch of some sort.

My totally uninformed opinion...I think most (if not all) spiders are insect eaters rather than plant eaters, so unless you are seeing obvious damage to your plants, they are likely OK.

You may want to post this on a bug forum where folks with more expertise can chime in.

SeaTac, WA(Zone 8a)

It sounds like a possible spider mite, which you would not want on your plants! Can you take a picture of them and I would have a better idea.

Here is an article you might find useful -

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Red-Spider-Mites-Organically

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Still pretty sure that if they are running around the garden AND large enuf to be seen, they are spiderz, not mites, which are mostly detectable by the damage & webbing on the undersides of foliage.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.