Anyone know where to get this plant?

Glendale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Anyone know where to find this plant for sale? I have had this plant for at least 4 years. Every year, it comes back looking just like the picture. I LOVE this plant. I have looked for it all over the net and nurseries. Oddly enough, I still have the tag that came with it and the name on it is Rudbeckia, Indian Summer. I believe it is in the “cone flower family”. I have ordered it from several different sources, but it is NEVER the same plant. It has wonderful flowers on it that each one last for MONTHS at a time. The leaves are FUZZY. The flower itself is about 3 inches wide. The leaves are about 1 1/2 wide and about 3 inches long.

Thumbnail by cactusjumper Thumbnail by cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ(Zone 9b)

P.S. I may have misspoke. The plant may be in the Blackeyed Susan family. Anyway, the point is, NONE of the blackyeded susan plants or coneflower plants are exactly the same as this one. I may be picky, lol, but I want this one.

Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

It could be a yellow coneflower. Looks like some I've had in the past. I am trying to start some this year.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

cactusjumper, if you need the exact one, just divide it- saving seeds may not work.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Cactusjumper. These are all different groups of Rudbeckia. I gathered seeds a few years ago and spread them around the garden. I let them grow where I want them and remove any plants that germinate where I do not want them. For the last two years I have deadheaded my own plants and just tossed the seed. Each flower has at least 50 seeds. There leaves are fuzzy. If you plant seed now they will probably just sit there until next summer and then soar. Mine have been blooming close to 30 days and still growing strong. I will send you some seeds. They are invasive if you do not pay attention to your landscape. They also make great cut flowers.

I also help the nurseries and dead head for them when they have spent blooms that need to be removed. Sharon

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I had that exact plant that you describe, cactus. I got it from seed gathered from those planted in a median on a city street in the shopping district. They came true from the seed once but the seed from that plant were all sterile. I saved all the seed heads but no seed ever germinated. The original plant I had did not come back from the roots either. I just assumed it was some hybrid that the only way I could get another was to buy it. I think I have seen the same plant at the big box stores once or twice. It really is an outstanding plant, noticeably larger blooms than regular Rudbeckia and I noticed the stems seemed odd in a way, more stubby and stocky than regular Rudbeckia. I used to have a photo of mine but cannot find it now.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Cactus Jumper You have inspired me to try Rudbeckia again. Nice plant!

Glendale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks to everyone that responded to my post. I have discovered that the plant is Rudbeckia Hirta Indian Summer and it is in the Black-Eyed Susan family.
I found a place that sells seeds for the plant but growing things from seed is not one of my best qualities. Rarely am I successful. I did find someone selling the plant however. I found them on ebay of all places. Hopefully they will survive being shipped in this heat. We'll see.
For those of you that suggested dividing the plant and starting with them a new, THANK YOU. I actually thought they were all coming up out of the same plant. I took a closer look and I think you were right. Its possible to divide them. I will wait until the plant dies back for the winter and then divide them up. I don't want to do it now for fear I'd end up killing them and then I'd be horrified.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.