My Favorite Blue In the Garden...What's Yours?

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Very pretty. I have a native Amsonia, the same lovely blue blooms in the spring, but no fall color. A few years ago I found one plant growing in the shade, divided it and put the division in similar conditions where it has done well. I just read that it self sows. Does yours? I may try to propagate it this year and try the new plants in the sun.

Soooo.... Finally, the Platycodon Hakone Blue and Veronica Sunny Border Blue opened in the blue garden, they're purple of course. I'm also getting flowers finally on the Plumbago, a nice light blue. And Clematis Arabella gave me a flower too, a lovely light off-blue, both very refreshing with all those deep colors.

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

And of course chocolate (chip) goes with everything!

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Rteets, those Amsonia are spectacular!!! Makes me wonder why we don't carry them at work, will have to ask BossLady about the possibility of ordering them next Spring.

Pfg, I love the blue of your Plumbago, so light and refreshing!! What variety is yours? I'm not sure what mine is, will have to look it up, but the blue is much deeper and darker. I think I need to mix in some of your variety to make mine POP. :)

I'd cut back a bunch of our hanging baskets at work a couple weeks ago, to try to bring them back to life, and just noticed how one has REALLY come back... and hadn't realized before the BLUE in it... now if I just knew what the heck this annual is!! The tag remaining in the pot merely says "Out Of The Blue".

Thumbnail by speediebean Thumbnail by speediebean

Blue cardinal flower (lobelia) and white verbena?

I had wondered if it was a lobelia... for some reason I can never remember the name of that one. It makes sense though 'cause that is a favourite of the BossLady's to order, and the combo baskets with that in them always sell like hotcakes. Thank you! =)

You're welcome.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks speediebean. They were the PPA Perennial of the Year but they are very slow growing so maybe mass production would be expensive. Unfortunate.

Thumbnail by rteets

Well, I have already begun a "What I Think We Should Order Next Spring" list, and Amsonia is at the top of the list. Dunno if any of our growers have it available, or will have it, but it doesn't hurt to try! =)

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Speaking of Amsonia, preferences of hubrecktii or tabernaemontana. Personally was wondering if anyone esle think the tabernae. has more flowers or a larger show? Both have great fall color tho.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I would go with the Hubrechtii for one reason. The foliage. Hubrechtii is so soft you want to pet it - you really do. The Tabernaemontana has nice foliage but nothing special. Otherwise the size, shape and flowers are very much the same.

I hope you are successful in getting them to sell, speediebean. I have seen them, but rarely. I have a friend who picked one up at Home Depot. She had no idea what she had, only that it was on the sale table for cheap.....

I grew mine (tabernaemontana) from seed, it took a couple of years to grow into a nice bush size but the flowers are lovely and it is unusual enough that most garden visitors haven't seen it before. Mine is loaded with seeds right now.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

Mine looks like yours, Mittsy, such pretty flowers. Do you grow yours in the sun, or shade?

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Mittsy,
A beautiful plant for sure and well deserving of a place in the garden!

Those are beautiful Mittsy, and those leaves are downright yummy-looking, so glossy and rich!!

Thank you Rteets, and thank you also for inadvertently helping me to decide to look for Hubrechtii. Heeheee, you're so good that you are helpful even when you don't know it! =)

Full sun.

I'll have to try it in sun... Maybe it only survived in the shade because of all the years the garden wasn't well tended? Like the Monarda, which naturalized all over the place in shade,

Pics from this weekend

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg

Oh so lovely!!

Just had to post this-- Salvia Azurea blooming for the first time. Yummmmm!

Also, Nigella seeds in a pot, sown in the spring, never bloomed until the nights got cooler.

And my old love, Lobelia Siphilitica.

Not blue... I've never seen a Salvia Victoria get so tall! What happened?!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pam.....save me seed from your Salvia, will glady take as much as you can get...lol Glad your Salvia Nekan is blooming...is that from the seed I sent? I found some babies in the garden this year..just to let you know and mama is now about 50" tall and in full bloom. Will get a pix this week.

My baby S. Nekan is growing well but slowly, but no blooms in sight for this year. These are S Azurea plants I bought early thos summer, when what was supposed to be Salvia Uliginosa ( Bog Sage) turned out to be a scrubby looking herb. It quickly became compost, and was replaced.

Do you want the S Victoria seeds? Which height, extra tall or normal, lol?

I was late in raking up last falls leaves and when I was out looking at my Limelight Hydrangea I noticed that the Amsonia Eastern Blue Star Willow has about a hundred tiny seedlings growing under it. The flowers are light true blue, not violet. I'm going to pot and trench some for over wintering. I'll try to get a picture if I can remember. If interested I'll put your name on one and we can swap in the spring.

This was a great thread last summer, so I'm starting a new one for 2014. Please join in!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1368069/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.