Is it me, or are the crepe myrtles AMAZING this year?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes, they are always beautiful trees, really not my favorite tho and I don't always look at them, but it seems to me that this year the ones in the Tampa area are just beyond vibrant in their colors, with more blooms as well.

Am I crazy, or has anyone else noticed it too? If so, what do you attribute it to?

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

much better than last year, i can say that much! i also noticed many of them started early, some in April! it could have something to do with the late chill they got, followed by a warm and wet period.

thanks for bringing it up

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I had mine trimmed this Spring. Not all the way down, but a good "hair cut". You'd never know it to look at them now. They are definately much fuller than before & I even think the blooms are brighter pink than last year. The ginger lillies planted under them are loving the nice dose of shade in the afternoon.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm noticing the bloom cones are much bigger and fuller than in years past - lovely. Mine get mildew every year, and this year is no exception.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

wow i'm glad everyone's enjoying a good season with them! the color is great. also noticed the size of the bunches are big - and i didn't prune mine.
the lantana under mine is getting too much shade, haha! i'm sure your ginger lilies are happy!

i think it's interesting how things change year to year and in our climate.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

YES THE MYRTLES ARE BLOOMING A LOT MORE THIS YEAR AND COLOR IS GREAT.

EVEN MY MINIATURE MYRTLES ARE BEGINING TO SET BLOOMS NOW BUT THE LARGER ONES HAVE BEEN BLOOMING FOR ABOUT A WEEK.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Almost all of mine are blooming and going strong. I wonder if the mild winter has anything to do with it.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

not sure of the cultivar...just thought i would share. don't Crapes look so much better in person, ha!

the blooms are just weighing down the branches, with the heavy rain, i've been checking for snapping

one of the branches started blooming a pink (similar to Pink Velour) last year. it's in the top middle of the pic

Thumbnail by coastalzonepush

I also have branches hanging down to the ground. The blooms are just so bright & full this year. I need to fire up the "real" camera & get some close-up pics.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Yep,.they are blooming great even in NC.

I planted a rootling in my Port St. Lucie yard in mid May, then left for some matters here in NC. Next week, I will return to PSL and see if it has taken hold in the sandy soil.

Thumbnail by pbyrley
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

that's a nice one! i love the dark leaves and upright shape. i hope your baby crape took hold in FL, that would be nice to see when you go to St. Lucie!

mine with the colorful blooms are better now than when i took the earlier pic. and i agree on using the "real" camera, haha!

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm going to take some Pink Velour sprigs and if they root, I will plant them - if Mr. Witt is reading, he can tell me to pull them up (and I might).

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Many of my blooms are branching out making them look huge!

Thumbnail by shauna1219
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

How did I miss this thread. So funny two days ago I took my mom for a drive and she was going on and on about how beautiful the crape myrtles are this year. It is like they all bloomed at the same time and I'm sure it was all that rain we had in June.

My White Natchez has huge blooms on it. They are so tall now I can't cut them back anymore. Basham party pink crepe myrtle bloom.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

i have a small CM that blooms white, with a small bit of pink on the tips, and then it changes to a deep, deep pink. Anyone have any idea what type it is?

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm back in Port St Lucie - The Dynamite CM (a bright, pure red flowers) I planted in May seems to have established itself while I was gone to NC. It's about 10 inches of growth now!

The pink Velour sprigs are still alive and will likely root. BTW, crepe myrtles are easy to root in June and July. I always try in the partial shade.or in the shade. I'm doing these in my kitchen.

If I'm lucky, It will bloom some next year.

Paul

Q, My Red Dynamite and Red rocket do that sometimes. Here is the reason why: http://thedailysouth.southernliving.com/2010/08/26/why-did-my-crepe-myrtle-change-color/

I get seedlings that start in pots and dig them up and put in pots to give away...only problem I have no idea what color they'll be, since I have several kinds in my garden.

Sun-thanks so much for the info. At 1st I thought I was getting 2 different colors from 1 tiny bush. Way too small for there to be any grafting. Now I eagerly await new blooms just to see waht color I'm getting!!!!

And it is POURING here again!!!!!! I'm thinking my patio install is going to be delayed.......................

Lucky you, well guess not if you want a patio installed...all this rain has been going around us. Had to do some hand watering today.
I have one bloom doing the same white stuff, kind of pretty really, looks like peppermint.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.