When to Harvest Triple-Curled Parsley?

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone! I have a beautiful bunch of triple curled parsley growing in a pot on my sidewalk near my front porch. I was wondering, how can I tell when it is ready to harvest? Also, is it a wise idea to periodically sprinkle seeds in the already growing bunch's pot for continuous growth? I'd love to be able to bring the pot inside (for winter) and still be able to have fresh parsley at my fingertips for cooking. Thanks!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Parsley is a biennial, harvest the tender sprigs to use as it grows, It will bolt , flower and reseed if it lives thru the 2nd year, the roots will look like carrots and fill the pot tho, so you might want to not crowd too much. HARVESTING is best the first year. It tends to turn off more bitter its 2nd year...

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you so much Kittriana. I read somewhere after I posted this question that I should wait until it has 3 segments, though I don't believe it does yet - only one that I see, so I was nervous that if I started snipping some off now that I would be thinning it out too much for it to continue growing and re-leaf. I was looking at it today and kept thinking to myself "I can't wait to harvest and use this!" HAHA! Getting impatient to be able to use some of the stuff we are growing I guess LOL!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

If you are only going to grow it for first year harvesting, I would definitely keep several plants going, it does start slow, mine disnt do well til it caught the side effects of the onion fertilizer, chuckle, and it slows in the heat, but loves the cool weather of spring n fall. Enjoy!

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks! Maybe I'll give it a little drink of Miracle-Gro next time I water, and see how it does. That, or do a light top dressing of my mushroom compost.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.