Little help with this vine?

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Originally posted to the plant identification on this one. I went to the county extension to identify when this stumped others there too. This vine was shown to grow 20 feet last summer. It is a fast grower with no sign of blooming. The extension office marked this as field bindweed but I am feeling that they did not take the inquiry seriously. This grew off of old wood and did not dieback. The old wood was approx 1/2 inch thick. It was perennial to zone 4/5. It looks nothing like the other bindweed that I find growing around the property and I have never seen field bindweed leave a branching system like this behind. I am willing to be corrected on this topic though. Any help would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by wheresthebeach Thumbnail by wheresthebeach

P.S. One person did suggest Fallopia baldschuanica which seems closer than bindweed but is still possibly a bit off.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

No, I believe this vine is Coral Vine, botanically known as Antigonon leptopus.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2050/#b

Thank you for the help. This was identified as Fallopia baldschuanica / Silver Lace Vine! Very beautiful when it blooms.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Great! It IS a lovely vine.

It was absolutely stunning at the end of the growing season! Thank You!

(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Pics please! I wanna see! =D

It is a shame that I didn't get a picture when it was in it's full blooming glory. This is about a month after the original post and a little too close to see it's beauty. It was a fast grower! It has been cut down to a foot tall again this spring. This year I will grab pictures. It is a perfect vine for my zone 5!

Thumbnail by wheresthebeach

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.