Want to grow strawberries

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

What is the best strawberry to grow in Florida and where would I find the starter plants. I'm in zone 9. Advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Dorothy

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Dorothy, I tried growing them in the ground - slugs used it as a buffet. I planted some in a big pot this year and the berries didn't develop properly - too hot and humid too early. All the box stores carry the plants, but in my opinion, they are a waste of money.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

To some degree, I agree with KayJones. Having said that though, it may certainly depend on the variety. I came across this link that may give some valuable info… http://strawberry.ifas.ufl.edu/growing_strawberries_in_the_flor.htm

Good luck. :-)

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

A friend has hers growing in a grow bag, hanging from a tree, so shady spot & she has a few berries.

Pat, in DeLand, has hers in a raised bed & 2 months ago she had a nice crop going.

Find all the berries home grown here are small.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks everyone for the advise and suggestions. I'm gonna give the strawberries a shot in the fall. I was thinking about using a straw bale, making holes and filling with soil. I've read that sterile soil should be used, but not sure where you get sterile soil. Anyway I'll keep you all posted when this is done and let you know how it work. My next task is to find slips to plant. Thank you all. Dorothy

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

The way to get sterile soil is to bake it in the oven, for 30 minutes at 200 degrees. As far as I know, you can't buy sterile soil, but peat moss is supposed to be as free from diseases, etc. at you can buy, but would stay too wet for strawberry plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.