Can one grow tomatoes, outdoors, in Florida in July?

Longboat Key, FL

This is the new test.

I am starting with Mountain Magic, Zapotec Pink Ribbed and Mexico.

I started the seeds last Saturday. June 22.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

This is what the start looks like

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

And the first one to sprout its wings -- Mexico

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

And on the start of the fourth day -- it's still Mexico 1 -- but, now, Zapotec 3.

WOW

Be well

(o)O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Boston, MA(Zone 6b)

Keep us posted! I'm trying to restart my tomato crop after some spectacular failures. Our summer lasts until October, really, so I'm trying to start a new crop each month to see what will (and won't) work.

Longboat Key, FL

I don't know.

I made the mistake of leaving the seedlings out overnight -- and the hot sun fried them before I could rescue them. One survived and, not taking any chances, I added a third seed to the cavities.

New ones are starting -- but I am keeping them inside until they get a little stronger.

Don't touch that dial.

Be well -- and a Happy Fourth

(o_O)

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Flyboy, did your tomatoes grow? For us, they go from a seedling to the ground when it is about 55 degrees during the day and no colder than 45 at night. They go into the soil really deep so that can form strong root systems.

By the time we have planted them, they have spent some time outdoors, slowly getting used to the sun, hardening off. If I could make a suggestion, I would start them in small containers in a partially or totally shaded area. They will get the same amount of light as they get from indoor artificial lighting. We do not start them in the ground although a few people do. When we finally transplant them, they have stems that are at least 3/8 of an inch in diameter and start off healthy.

Longboat Key, FL

My experiment went down in flames --symbolically, that is.

The seeds either failed to sprout or withered. Masochistically I refused to commit hara-kiri , so three long-legged spikes are still clinging to a miserable life in the egg box.

I even broke down and adopted a Home Depot orphan plant. It fails to set even one of the blossoms. I water it -- but, it too, withers on the vine.

I described the situation to Linda at Tomato Growers. Her advice -- give it up and start again in September. She said that if any survived they would still need resuscitation and be unworthy of consuming!

I surrender -- completely and unconditionally.

Be well

(o_O)

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

We just ended (I hope) a heat wave that lasted about 10 days, but all the tomato plants are sturdy and went through the colder days as they grew strong. I think all the plants have blooms and tomatoes. Tomatoes need movement for the blooms to produce fruit.

Starting them in September may be easier on the plants.

Boston, MA(Zone 6b)

Watching the Farm Report yesterday, it's calling for the Gulf Coast and Florida to be a bit cooler than normal the next 30 days. Cooler in August sure would be welcome to some of us, I bet.

Longboat Key, FL

At least we do not have to shovel snow.

Be well

(o_O)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.