hillside nursery

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Hillside Nursery is one of the nurseries I love which specializes in choice woodland plants.
They just posted their fall catalog online for anyone who's interested.
Lots of beauties in their listing... If you've got a woodland area, you might check it out.
http://www.hillsidenursery.biz/index.php

Taylorsville, KY

That's awesome; need to ordering something.....Trillium erectum and grandiforum "Flore Plenum' and time to add a Paeonia........thanks very much! kim

Beautiful choices. Thanks for posting, weerobin.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks so much.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Very nice! I bought some Hepatica and Blood root from a nursery this spring and they sent me bare root Blood Root and it never came up and the Hepatica looks pretty sad with only a few leaves...I might try this place as it looks like they send real potted plants!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What a great resource!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I put in an order yesterday. I kept repeating Merry Christmas..I can't wait though. Ordered the native slippers, which I'll have to ammend the soil slightly we are pretty acidic, and 4-5 others. Another I'm looking forward to is byakko solomans seal.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I had a blast putting in gaultheria procumbens (wintergreen) in my fairly neutral soil. I kept reading articles about how they died out so I used compost, soil conditioner (a product that balances ph) and azalea fertilizer and they have been wonderful. They started expanding almost immediately, and have formed the white flowers that are the precursor of the red berries. It was very exciting for me when I realized that this was possible. The ph at my former home was 7.9 before years of composting brought it down. I knew I could do more here because I inherited a successful azalea and a hygrangea macrophylla bloomed with mauve, blue AND pink flowers.

And wow, the ferns that did moderately well at my former home with lots of care are throwing wild, drunken parties here in my absence.

I'm looking forward to Solomon's seal too. Weerobin gave me some tips.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm impressed Donna - I haven't had luck w/ gaultheria.
Of course, I blamed the humidity, which is my usual excuse.
I may be inspired to try it again if yours start to catch hold and form a ground cover.
I think it's a beautiful plant.

My Byakko solomen's seal hasn't been a star performer for me.
You may notice you've never seen me post a picture of it.
(And it doesn't take much for me to post pictures!)
It's been pretty wimpy. But I really am not the best at polygonatums.
Even the common variegatum has sulked in my yard - I wonder if too deep shade?
I planted a new Byakko in a brighter area last year - we'll see how it does.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmm, we will see. I'll put mine in high shade. Only time will tell.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.