Question on columbine

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Could the person that brought columbine to my RU in April please tell me which kind it is. I looked it up and theres a gazillion types. It came in a pot and has very dainty looking leaves.
I read there it takes either full sun or sun and part shade.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to keep it living but plant it out into the garden.
Bonnie

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Columbines are supposed to be hardy to zone 9, but I am in zone 8b/9a and, in my yard, they last one season and then just melt away. I'd say our heat and humidity is just too much for them.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Even in MD I had mine growing in mostly shade to keep them going during the summer heat & humidity.

Orlando, FL

Mine melted too.

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Bonnie, they came from me and they are Aquilegia canadensis, Eastern Red Columbine. It was sold as a Florida native plant. Mine have done best on the north side of the house where it's a bit damp and shadier most of the year. During hot weather they don't look too good, but will perk up considerably later in the year. I suggest putting them in the ground in an out-of-the-way spot, keep them watered, and check back in a few months. They're tougher than they seem!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie, they are native but only to about three counties in the Panhandle so you might have trouble with them based on where you live. I would definitely give them lots of shade. Here's the web page on them from the ISB Atlas of Florida Vascular Plants: http://www.florida.plantatlas.usf.edu/Plant.aspx?id=3980 It also lists them as endangered so kudos to everyone out there growing them!

Melanie

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Melanie, I also read where they are rare in most parts of the state; I had no idea! Since mine have been reseeding like crazy, maybe I should start introducing them to the wooded areas around our property. Another item mentioned was that they like sandy soil over limerock, which is 99% of what we have here. : p

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.