MidAt plant shopping June 2013 ...

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

wow, Judy, what a wonderful offer! I'd love to know whether your HD has any Kaleidoscopes available and if so, what kind of price they would be? Thanks so much for your kindness--your HD sounds wonderful!

Robin

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Found a great source of Abelia 'kalidascope' today at one of the nurseries I used to work at. They are in 3 gal containers and are well developed 30 inches wide by 24 inches tall . They are half price, so $20.
http://www.naturehills.com/abelia-kaleidoscope

Abelia "Bronze Anniversary' also available same good size and price.
http://www.naturehills.com/abelia-bronze-anniversarytm

Can bring to Bulb Sort Party next Sat at Jill's.

Judy

Thumbnail by coleup

It sounds wonderful, Coleup--I'd love one of the Kaleidoscopes!
Robin

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Azalea lovers...

On Saturday, the Northern Virginia Chapter of the Azalea Society will be having a big azalea sale in Springfield, Virginia, with over 500 different varieties available. See their web site www.nv-asa.org for more details. They have an illustrated list of all the plants for sale on the site.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

This link should work for the azalea society sale
http://www.nv-asa.org/azaleas/0/sales

Paul, are you a member? Sure took me back thru my quite limited azalea types knowledge base! Wouldn't it be fun to have 'naming rights'!

Off the top, I'm interested in these two:
http://www.nv-asa.org/azaleas/530
http://www.nv-asa.org/azaleas/573

Paul, that's too bad, that's the day of the bulb sort at Jill's!

I *really* wanted a deciduous azalea. :( Are you going to the sale?

Coleup, can I let you know by tomorrow? Thank you!

This message was edited Oct 6, 2013 7:34 AM

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Sure, SS. Tomorrow is fine. Not sure what all I am doing today, but the Kalidascopes I saw yesterday are far suprior to HD ones, so I may go back and score a few on "speculation"!!!
One or two would look great with your Red Bud or even your new evergreens. They make me want to tuck them under some of my JMs, too. Come to think of it, I could use a low hedge of them across my front because with their coloration, it wouldn't matter if blooming is somewhat diminished becaue of only 6 hours of dappled light! (Can you tell I really like this plant!)

I'll also be bringing some other 'spec' plants to Jill's.
Eupatorium 'Chocolate' clearanced at $3 each
'Triple Play 'Phlox ($10 http://www.plantdelights.com/Phlox-glaberrima-Triple-Play-PP-21329-Perennial-Smooth-Phlox/productinfo/8735/
Ladies Tresses ($6)
http://www.plantdelights.com/Spiranthes/products/354/
'Red Stone Falls' heucherella ($5 or $6)
I'll get a list together later.

Hey, I could use some more of your cactus soil!

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup

They all look wonderful, Coleup--so tempting! :-)

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Quote from ssgardener :
Paul, that's too bad, that's the day of the bulb sort at Jill's!

I *really* wanted a deciduous azalea. :( Are you going to the sale?

I am not unfortunately. I am really curious how the sale will go though being a mix of auctions and fixed prices.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Coleup: I would LOVE up to 5 Ladies Tresses ($6) and up to 2 'Red Stone Falls' heucherella ($5 or $6) and 1 Eupatorium 'Chocolate' ($3 each), if ssg or catmint is willing to bring it (them) back to their house from the bulb party.

Behnkes has all of their perennials on sale for 25-50% off.

I got Amsonia hubrichtii for $7.50 and also got to use a coupon I'd been saving. Hooray for bargains!

Coleup, yes I would like that Abelia Kaleidoscope, please!

Happy, I'd be happy to bring your plants home!

Did anyone go to Greenspring's fall sale yesterday?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, ssg, for the info on Behnke's and for offering to bring plants back for me!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Everyone--but mostly Karen and Cat and, maybe, donner--as I will see you all this weekend.

I stopped at Lowes today to see what was clearances. LOTS!

All their Knock Out Roses are 50% off.
All their Hostas are 5o% off.
ALL their gardenias are 50% off.

Most of the Gardenias will be "perennial"--as the temps give are 10* to 0*.
Talked to one of the associates--and she said she has been growing one for
a few years (the "Daisy" one) under the shade of a tree--and it blooms every
summer and lives through the winter like a Champ.

THERE WAS A WHOLE TABLE FULL!

There were about 4 varieties, either in gallon pots (reg. $6.98)--or huge pots--
3-4 gal???--either $18.98 (regular) or $26.98 (Lowes premium). All 50% 0ff.

The varieties they had are:

1--"Radicans Enano"--a dwarf--semi double blooms
2--Gardenia "Daisy:--single petaled bloom--maybe 5-6 petals. Cute!
3--August Becanty (sp ? on 1st letter?)--a tall growing with the blooms we are all familiar with.
4--"Heaven Scent" --a compact grower--looked very healthy in all pots.

Those coming here this Friday--do you want me to pick some of these up for you???
I was SOOO tempted--but--WHERE, oh WHERE could I plant one to grow in the shade???
The 1gal. pots would cost me ONLY $3.50!!! SO tempting....

***I HATE my garden situation!!!! There are so many nice things I just
have to pass by--because I have nowhere to plant them!!!
GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR........:o(

My fantasy would be to rip most of my plants up--and start fresh--BUT--I know
I would never do that.

LMK----Gita.

SSG--what a wonderful price for the Amsonia!! You go girl! :-)

Gita, I would love a gallon pot of the Radicans. Thanks!

I know what you mean about garden space! This weekend one of my accomplishments was removing the ailing rhododendron, as well as 4 established azalea bushes (gone to a good home now) to make more space in my garden. I am okay with this because they were all planted by the previous owner who had a *ton* of azaleas; I may remove more of them as time goes by. I think it would be harder if they were all things that I had planted in the past, so I feel for you, Gita!

I'm also trying to create more garden space from sunny lawn area using the 'lasagna' method we discussed in this forum. Right now for my 'lasagna' I have mostly plant clippings and coffee grounds, and soon I'll be able to add fallen leaves. What I really need is a composter! :-o Any suggestions for a good one that doesn't break the budget??

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

i like this Keyhole Compost Garden.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3726/#discuss

cool idea, Coleup!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

oh yeah this is time they want to clear all that garden stuff out so they can set up Christmas by Thanksgiving.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

BY THANKSGIVINGG??????? No one waits that long any more!

Most retail places have all things Christmas up by beg. of November.
It gets earlier every year---the BIG competition among the Giants to grab the first $$$.
G.

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Poor Boy's in Parkville is having their sale now too. 1/2 price trees and pots. Half off "selected" perennials. I'm not in the market right now, so I didn't go in. Just an FYI for you bargain hunters!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Now I have to go to Lowe's. *theatrical sigh*

Coleup, thank you for the lovely plants you found for me! That Abelia is so pretty; I'm glad you "just happened" to have an extra one along. :-) I'm definitely interested in the variegated meadow phlox and in that trailing heucherella (Red Stone Falls). I'd try a Lady Tresses, too! And unfortunately I now have plenty of space on the other side of my "fence row" of bigger trees for 'Forest Pansy' redbud, et al. (meaning I'll look at HD for one of those $20 ones!)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Depending on how many Red Stone Falls Ric and Holly select, I may have one or two. Or there are more expensive ones I know of. Ladies Tresses are 'sold out'.

If they look good I'll get 6 - 8 more of the phlox as I am sure some who have not yet seen it may also want one in addition to Jill and Catmint already spoken up for one.

On Friday there were 3 of the Forest Pansy red buds left at my local HD. Let me know what you find at yours.

Jill, have you ever heard of Hugel kulture? A way of raised bed gardening using logs as the bottom layer?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

That hugel culture is interesting.

I am not looking at any of these plants, I am not looking at any of these plants, I am not looking...who am I kidding. Of course I am looking at these plants. But, mind you, I am just looking. Heehee

Quote from Jan23 :
That hugel culture is interesting.

I am not looking at any of these plants, I am not looking at any of these plants, I am not looking...who am I kidding. Of course I am looking at these plants. But, mind you, I am just looking. Heehee

LOL Jan--my sentiments exactly! :-)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Lots of bargains out there! Did a lot of looking myself yesterday (Couldn't buy anything because I discovered I had left all of my money and ids at home!) I made lists instead.

One thing I did find was huge pots of two kinds of clumping bamboo on clearance for $40

Fargesia rufa GREEN PANDA™

Cultivated as Fargesia 'Rufa' in Europe for several years, Oprins Plant NV (Rijkevorsel, Belgium) received a new plant introduction award at Boskoop in Holland for this form in 2003. Subsequently, it was introduced into the U.S. in 2003 as Green Panda™. This clumping, non-invasive bamboo Is extremely cold hardy and heat tolerant, and has enormous potential in landscapes across North America and Canada. It grows into a large clump (6-8 ft wide) with arching stems. Originally from Gansu, China

Max Height : 10 ft. (3 m)
Max culm diameter : 0.5 inches (1.3cm)
Min temp : -15 F (-26C) Zone 5-8
Sun - Partial shade – Full Shade
Clumping, non-invasive

Fargesia robusta GREEN SCREEN™

This clone has been cultivated as Fargesia robusta 'Pingwu' in Europe for several years. It is very upright, with persistent culm sheaths that are white, densely covered with hair. Its leaves are longer when compared to the type species and to the form 'Wolong' which has much broader leaves and is less cold hardy. A clumping bamboo perfect for use as a hedge or screening plant, it has the great benefit of its non-invasive root system and robust size. This exciting new bamboo holds up well in the heat and humidity of the Southeastern U. S., unlike other Fargesia types. Originally from Szechuan, China.

Max Height : 18 ft. (6m)
Max culm diameter : 0.8 inches (2 cm)
Min temp : -5 F (-20C) Zone 6-8
Sun - Partial shade

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Shade gardeners

FERNS (half off listed price) most went to AH
Hairy Lip $13
Golden 10
Hay Scented 12
Tassel 10
Japanese Beech 10
Holly 10
Autumn 10
Chain 10
Jap. Pictim 3gal 18

Astilebi 'Fanal' 3 gal $14 1 left

Ligularia 'Rocket' or 'Othello' $10 3 left

Silver Gem viola $10 2 left

NY Iron weed $9 2 left

This message was edited Oct 20, 2013 10:04 AM

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Heuchera collectors
Half price gals

electra 15, ala suset 17, circus 15, caramel 13 or 18, cherry cola 17, rootbeer 17, Georgia Peach 18, Blackout 16, Sweet Tea 19, citronell 13, tiramisu 16,fire chief 17, binoche 21, solar power 17,
key lime 16, big top burgandy 11, solar eclipse 16

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Judy,
Where did you find the ferns for half price? Can you pick up 3 Tassel Ferns and 3 Holly Ferns for me? Dmail me with your address and I'll send the $s to you if it looks like it might be a while before we meet up again.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Not saying that I am a good judge of trees and shrubs but at half price, some of you may want to try these at half price! Prices listed are regular price. 3 - 10 gal pots

Red Twig Dogwood 'Baily" $22

Desiduous Azalea
Golden Lights $29
Pink and Sweet 29
Late Date 33
Fragrant Star 31
Ribbon Candy 29

Variagated Winter Daphne $45

Ilex Sparkleberry 32 2male, 2female left

Variagated Beautyberry 16 one left

This message was edited Oct 20, 2013 10:10 AM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Oohhhh - half price bargains!!! I could definitely go for some azaleas and the winter daphne - can't beat those prices. If you feel like going today, I can take a ride over there and go with you since I'm off for the holiday. Dmail me!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Aspen, just left you a voice message.

Sales above are at Outback Garden Center 89 Central Ave (Route 214) about 5 miles further towards Annap than Homestead Gardens.....

Coleup, I just want to make sure, the prices you listed are the original retail prices, so the sale price is half of what you listed, right?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm very proud of myself, I've managed to not buy any plants in nearly 4 weeks, other than the Heuchera I asked Coleup for. LOL
Getting home and seeing all the yardening that needs done is rather daunting. Most of my annuals that I haven't taken cuttings from are still in good shape so I may start there.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Yes, Ss, those are the original prices, so 1/2 off that! Except the bamboo was original $80 so $40 for clearance.

Aspenhill and I are meeting shortly so use cell # and there is always tomorrow!

Great restraint Ric! I'm glad I 'forgot' my funds yesterday! I need more holes in the ground not in my head.! Did think the bamboo would tempt someone. SSgardener, I thought of you and that kitchen window!

Today I'll just be Aspens wingman! Hahaha.

This message was edited Oct 14, 2013 10:46 AM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Coleup sure knows how to find the deals. Everything was 50% off. The azaleas were nearly gone, but Coleup and I got two azaleas each to close out their inventory on them. I also got the last daphne. Other really nice looking shrubs left were beauty berry and fothergilla. Quite a selection of trees and perennials left too. As soon as I got home, I spent time planting the end of season toad lilies and anemones that I've been picking up over the last few weeks. The deals from the outing with Coleup are still in the car and I'm too tired to get them out tonight LOL. I am muddy and wet, but the ground is really easy to dig after all that rain. Time for a soaking bath!

Welcome back, Ric and Holly!

Coleup and aspenhill, I need to get out there this weekend and check out the nursery myself. I'm still in search of a tall deciduous azalea. Too bad they're all out now!

Coleup, I've been wanting a red twig dogwood for a long time. I may need to pick up the Bailey if they still have it.

I love the look of bamboo, but I don't think I have the horizontal space for a clumping bamboo. Hm...

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Ssg, I'm not too interested in bamboo for my woodland setting, but they sure were pretty. While I was browsing the perennial section, I could hear coleup oohing and aahing as she pulled each one out to inspect which were the nicest and healthiest.

If you have been thinking about the red twig dogwood, I'd go for it - 50% off the price is pretty significant for trees and shrubs. If I had brought the truck instead of my RAV4, I would have picked up a pretty evergreen, and probably dogwoods and redbuds. Dogwoods and redbuds are always on my "want" list to enhance the understory of the woods around the house and along the driveway, but trees are so expensive...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

aspenhill, I have two redbud seedlings from my yard, I'll be nurturing along until someone wants them. I'm penciling you in.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Kalmia latifolia 'Elf' Now $15

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=k810

SS, let me know if you want me to set some thing aside for you....

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I bought 2 Kalmia Firecracker from someone on e bay. They were each 7.00 and they are wonderfully healthy. I've been very lucky getting Crape Myrtle, Viburnums, Wine Weigelas and many other shrubs on e bay for VERY inexpensive prices. So far the sellers have been sending great plants!!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Mountain laurels are beautiful!!! Great companion plants to azaleas. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.