MidAt plant shopping June 2013 ...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Came from '' summertime plant shopping'' at
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1312488/
Photo is Acalypha by Gita- soon to be mine. It sounds like a great plant!

Discuss new acquisitions, clearance, sales, etc

This message was edited Jun 19, 2013 6:48 AM

Thumbnail by sallyg
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It wasn't shopping but we came home with new additions from our greenhouse picnic. We have a raffle at most every meeting where you donate whatever you have in the way of plants and materials. It's our only fund raiser and fun. We got a blue water iris (we've had yellow for years), Gaillardia, blanket flower for my FIL, and a few odds and ends in annuals we didn't have we did get a bunch of seed dahalias too.

New is always fun!

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Some how we always find something somewhere to bring home all summer.

if not 'we, then someone finds something for 'us' tee hee.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes, I was just gifted a lovely agapanthus africanus!! Now to find some room for it!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SO? It looks like no one has been shopping since June 19th....

That CANNOT be true!!!! I shop all the time...but these Threads tend ti get
obliterated by other Threads and slide into oblivion.

Anyway--I stopped over at the DJ Liquidators tiny store, because the sign
outside said they were closing and many things were 50% off THEIR price.

I spent quite a lot of time in there ($41 worth) and wanted to show you something
some of you may want to have. I am willing to go back and p/u all the rest
of these--if you want.
They are 16" saucers--grey--and DJ's price on these was $2.97.
Sp--50% 0ff--these cost $1.50 +tax.

They had quite a few of these--maybe 10-12--IF no one has bought them all.
These can be used as wintertime Bird Baths--as they are sturdy plastic--and big enough.

Anyone interested? LMK ASAP. Gita

Remember---they may be sold out....

Here is a picture. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I am not doing any plant shopping, at least till I get to North Carolina , Sunday. I promise.
I even went to Ashcombe's for my free birthday plant and bought nothing else, not counting the candy. LOL
Does anyone remember the strips of striped pink, white, and brown coconut candy we used to buy at the penny counter? Well, I found some, about a half dozen of them in a bag, they weren't a penny anymore but were nearly as good as I remembered.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't even want to look at the N.C. nurseries I have too many plants to bring inside as it is.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hehehe.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Found some interesting plants for sale locally yesterday.

Shrubs/Trees
Dragon Lady Holly Reduced from $90 to $40

'Forest Pansy' Red Bud

Abelia both 'glossy' (Pic 2) and 'variegated'

'Silver Sword' azalea

Perrenials

Euphorbia "Black Bird' 2 gal pots $9 (really nice full plants) (Pic 1)

'Blue Butterflies' Clerodendrum $6 http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1874/
(May try to overwinter like my other 'tropicals') (Pic 3)

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Cool!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A couple of things I would like to find in NC are a Japanese Lilac, and any new Euphoribias, Heuchera, Hellebores and maybe an unusual Cryptomeria. I found a few Heuchera last year on the sale rack in Lowes. That is where our Hibiscus Lunas came from for like $5 a piece. The Elizabethan Gardens in Manteo often have some unusual plants at very reasonable prices. They also emphasize natives and xericulture. The only trick is ensuring they are hardy to zone 6. Visiting nurseries and garden centers is one of the best things about traveling.

PS. Holly says she does not need any of the above. LOL :-}

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Ric etal, you may enjoy this site called 'New plants and flowers' as they report plant trials and offerings in the pipe line from breeders across the globe.

http://www.newplantsandflowers.com/

'Frosted Flame' euphorbia, a non flopping oak leaf hydrangea. a dwarf walnut tree, and a Japanese astilbe called 'Chocolate Shogun' are some to come.

Do you have 'Black Bird' euphorbia? The pots I saw are very nice....

Enjoy plant scouting and the beach!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Jet Stream Oak Leaf Hydrangea

http://www.firsteditionsplants.com/collection/#show:3837

Well it'll cost an arm and a leg for a few years.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

$aving$ is what I'm talkin'bout. I almost never pay retail for anything I bring home this time of year. The market there is high end with a lot of new introductions, many of my "steals" have some physical damage but are entirely healthy as was the case for my Lunas. We even got our Hollywood juniper on sale.
Liriope and Mondo practically grow wild there and I could use a couple of cheap large pots to divide. I got a black Mondo last year and got something like 10-4" pots from it. With the diversity we already have and share via swaps, purchases are limited to new or interesting things or a few "Gotta'ave one.
Thanks for the tips, I have my eye open for a Jet Stream.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric--
What kind of "Cheap, large (how large?) pots" would you need....

I have a shed-full of all kinds of pots...

Will you be at sally's swap? Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I think Ric means pots that are full of Liriope and Mondo.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Quoting:

Thanks for the tips, I have my eye open for a Jet Stream.

You and me both. Lmk.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Make that three!

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Jumping in on this thread to mention today's impulse buy: Salvia greggii 'Wild Thing'. Looked awesome next to the purple salvia on the bench and I just Had. To. Have. It. When I got home I plopped it behind my velvet mocha coleus and mint mocha coleus. It looks awesome there!
Oh I forgot to mention that the plant itself smells really gross!

This message was edited Aug 30, 2013 5:11 PM

Thumbnail by typwc Thumbnail by typwc Thumbnail by typwc
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

It DOES look awesome there!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I've been searching everywhere for a couple of conifers, a Cryptomeria and a Chamaecyparis.

I may have to resort to mail order. I don't mind waiting for small mail order plants to grow, but I need these trees to screen out the back neighbors from my kitchen window, and I'd rather not wait 6 more years for them to reach 8 feet. : /

I highly recommend Euphorbia Ascot Rainbow, if you find it on a sale somewhere. That Black Bird Euphorbia looks very cool!

hm, any chance we can get Paul (Bunyan) to dig and move my huge pair of Gold mop Chaemecyparis? They're five feet already.
Just kidding- I don't think they can be moved.

My Lowes is getting tons of fall stock in now- shrubs, still bright flowers, pansies starting, and mums. I always get fall pansies- but can't imagine where I'll put them this year- beds are packed.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Euphorbia 'Ascot Rainbow' and 'Black Bird' are both at HD for $ 8.99.

I just picked up a nice pot of trailing foamy bells Heucherella 'Redstone Falls' It's the first ground cover Heucherella.
http://www.terranovanurseries.com/growers/heucherellaredstonefalls-p-309.html

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I just love that Redstone Falls, just what I need another plant on the list I'm not shopping for. LOL

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Ric, I can get you some Redstone Falls at around $4 for sm qt size. Do your travels bring you any where near here?

Anyone esle?

I,m a sucker for new gorgeous plants. There ought to be a way to get to trial new plants! Like review copies of books!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Ssg- there is a conifer collector/grower in Montgomery county. I don't have thename right now but it is some where in the vicinity of Butlers ororchard. If you haven't figured it out by Monday night I'll find it for you.

Paul, that would be great if you could get the name for me. I just tried a bit of googling but couldn't find anything. Thanks!!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

ssgardener I wasjust at Ace Hardware here and looked at their plants as trees and shrubs are now 40% off.

They had about 6 cryptomeria 'Yoshino' that were taller than I am. $52 with 40 % off comes to $32 + tax. Are these what you are looking for? These were also about 3' wide and in good shape

Wow, that's a good price!

I was actually looking for a Sekkan Sugi because I like that golden color. I saw them in a couple of nurseries last fall but decided to wait, and now I can't find them. Apparently they're having some issues with the supplier.

I love Gold Mop, but they get so wide! I need something more like a pyramid/column.

Oh, if anyone see a Hosta Liberty for sale, could you let me know? It turns out it's the hosta of the year, so it's sold out everywhere.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

All our Hostas at HD are on clearance for $2.50. NOT a huge discount...but...
These are the bigger ones--not the ones I bought in spring...
G.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That's a great price for those cryptomeria 'Yoshino', wish I had a place for one.
Judy.I'd like 2 or 3 of those Redstone Falls if it's not too much trouble.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

For you dear, I will procure some Redstone Falls, heuchera today or tomorrow!

Hey, keep a look out for some new Hardy Begonia introduced by Terra Nova this year.
http://www.terranovanurseries.com/growers/begoniagardenangelblush-p-563.html

"The world’s first decorative zone 7 hardy Begonia series! Another breeding first from Terra Nova®. All Terra Nova® Begonias require growing conditions above 55º Fahrenheit (13º Celsius). However, once established, they can tolerate temperatures down to 38º (3º Celsius) Fahrenheit without damage. Each variety of the Garden Angels™ Series has shimmering metallic, palmate leaves and an upright habit. A rare and beautiful addition to the gardener’s palette."

Looks like they would be easy to winter over on my unheated enclosed porch just like my Dragon Wings!

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Aren't they purty!!!

Coleup, I don't think this one needs winter protection in zone 7. Aren't the Garden Angels fully hardy to zone 7?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Those sure are Purrdy......

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I second that...third I guess.

Paul, is it Susanna Farm Nursery?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.