Summer Weather in Your Garden

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Happy Returns is a better increaser for me than Stella.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

huge difference, Juhur7! I'm wondering though, does your plant have two fans with two different scapes? if that's the case, then the one that bloomed before, the one that's not bright red, could very possibly be a seedling from a seed that fell into the clump. that does happen sometimes.

very muggy here the past couple of days, and mostly overcast. we had a passing shower here this morning, so you know that kept that muggy.

Karen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Karen it's possible . only they were bought together in a clump two or three fans .
Storms yesterday knocked the blooms off,, had three of those big huge blooms at the same time . power was out all day yesterday .. wind from storms that lasted three or four hours ..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I think this one is lemon-lime . What might some of you say?

This message was edited Jul 11, 2013 11:54 AM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Huge difference in weather today. 78 with low humidity and very pleasant out.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Looks like HYPERION to me. I think that spelling is correct but not sure.

HYPERION I think is one of the parents of my TALL YELLOW SEEDLING.

Linda

OH, Hot and muggy here, with brief rain showers and LOTS of thunder & lightening daily

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Juhur7, it does happen sometimes that you will get 2 different daylilies in a clump from a seller, for the same reason as I mentioned before, that a seed fell into that clump and developed into a new plant, which turned out different from the parent, as they usually do. Anyhow, the "seedling" is pretty, too. That one you're asking if it's Lemon Lime, I wouldn't know. I have not seen a picture of it, but it's the right color. Should be about 3' tall with a 7" bloom, and it blooms early midseason.

Still muggy today, but considerably cooler, so it wasn't too, too uncomfortable for gardening. I got a lot done, and I'm more stiff and sore than usual. My RU is tomorrow. Wish I had gotten a lot more beds weeded, but there just wasn't time. I would need a month to get it all done. That's a month off from work. Can't get that much time off. Bummer! Getting up early to do last minute things, and deadhead my daylilies. Chance of rain tomorrow. Hoping it holds off. I do have a canopy. If it's only occasional light showers, we'll be okay, but the skeeters will be bad. Will have to have plenty of bug spray on hand.

The rest of the week is supposed to be hot and humid. Ugh!

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes Karen I understood , I don't always type as clear as I could or might .. I appreciate all and any help when it comes to the garden as long as it stays enjoyable ..

Isle2 I agree that ID looks correct . That and barely ,. every so often one of them sets a bloom of a 12 point star , that is a primer for hybridizing .. Once again I appreciate the help , thank you!!!

Mosquitoes here are a nightmare ,, !!!!!!!!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, the rain did hold off today. Yay! I only had 2 DG members attend, and 2 friends, but it was a nice gathering anyhow. We had good food, good conversation, and they enjoyed touring my gardens. Would have been great if I'd gotten up earlier to deadhead and get more mowing done, but I was too tired. I ended up having to go pick up a friend from the hospital last night. Long story, but she's fine. Made for not enough sleep, though. I had plans on getting up at 6, but it didn't happen. Oh, well. It was bright overcast most of the day, and very muggy. The rain didn't start until just after the last person left. The skeeters were starting up their thing about that time. They knew the rain was coming. Little buggers!

Karen

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Have any of you with the skeeter problems tried taking a shot of Tonic Water daily? It really works!

Linda

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Have not heard of that one Linda. Hmmmm, will have to try it.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Hot and dry here. Karen you are sooo funnny!

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Not as hot today, just muggy in New Mexico. Imagine that! We has a nice rain storm last evening and picked up just a little over 1/2" of rain. Only 74-76 today, so that is a reprieve with the heat.

Our area need almost 9" of rain to get out of the drought and Santa Fe needs almost 15"!!!

Linda

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

91 right now with a 99 heat index. It's not pleasant to be out right now. The rest of the week supposed to be much the same.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I have not heard about the tonic water thing, Linda. Can it be flavored or does it have to be plain? Those buggers were awful today!

Hot today, in the low 90s, and humid, of course. Can't be hot without the humidity here. Too much to ask for. Humidity didn't feel as bad as yesterday, though. Even though it was not quite as hot, it was overcast and very muggy. Today the sun shone down in full force, though later it clouded up, and then the skeeters got bad. I got a lot of pictures of my daylilies, but not until after the sun went behind the clouds. Tomorrow morning I want to get some while the colors are still fresh and saturated.

The photo is of FRESH START.

Karen

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

We had bad storms last night. 2" in the rain guage this morning. Now it feels like a steam bath outside. I walked the garden and by the time I got done, sweat was rolling down my face. Need a head band on today to be outside.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Those peach -pink colors are nice on Daylily ,
It's been humid here for weeks now ..
Few blooms , most are not making pollen this year though ..oh well .

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Hello all! Only have a moment to say that I am back in the US - and that I had a great trip! Came back to VERY hot temps and VERY, VERY dry conditions. My plants look horrible.... they are really suffering even though they are being watered! :( Just so hot and dry........ and so many of the plants in my foundation beds are relatively new plants and the lack of rain and the heat effect them much more than the established ones. I sure missed my DG friends while I was away!

They are mothballing my plant - they say we MAY have a job until May 31, 2014, but that is not definitive. Several people here will keep their jobs, but the office manager position is being removed. We are responsible for a hydro plant - that will still be ran from this facility, plus, they are supposed to be maintaining this plant for use in about 2022 or so. Not really sure how they think the paperwork load is going to go down much - or who will be responsible for all the invoices, payroll, etc but they don't see the need......... There is a chance that I can transfer to another facility, but currently the position is open but has a different job description and would involve about a 1/3 cut in pay - which would also ultimately reduce my retirement by 1/3 because our retirement is based on the highest 5 of the last 10...because I have more than 10 yrs to go, I would lose all the high years. I had just about decided that I probably would just hang on here and take the severance and then do something different - but now they are saying they MIGHT be able to move me laterally into that position without a cut in pay...but nothing official yet. I will just wait and see what happens. Have even considered going back to school and changing careers now that my kids are grown....... just praying God will reveal what He wants me to do.

We had an awesome trip! So thankful that we were able to participate.

Hope to catch up on all the threads later..... for now, have to catch up at work! and at home!! ^_^
Genna

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Storming again. Had 2" yesterday and looks like it may be another inch today the way it is raining right now.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I hope it all works out for you job-wise, Genna. Glad to see you're home and I'm happy that you had a good trip, but that's not good news about your job. Not good news about the how stressed your plants are, either. Mine are starting to show stress, too.

We've been getting mucho heat and humidity here. I decided to take a break from yard work today after taking a bunch of photos in the yard and coming in all wet from sweat. To top it all off, I got stung 3 times by paper wasps, whose nest I accidentally disturbed while pulling out some weeds to get a better photo of some daylilies. Good sized nest, too. I will have to get the wasp and hornet spray. Good thing I'm not allergic to them.

Here's a photo of INCA APOTHECARY.

Karen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It is hot here , mosquitoes are still bad ,, Other than being broiled and having transfusions ,, it's not bad for summer at all !

One of mine , it was smaller and more red and re-bloomed last year . this year it has more orange but is darker than the pic , and much taller This is one of two made from plant cells in a bottle (4 or 5 years ago?) Medium summer bloomer only 4 pod scape though , oh well ..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Very hot and muggy here too. I do a lot of hybridizing in the summer but it is very difficult in weather like this. I have to keep going indoors to cool off.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My Dalily are not making pollen any time of day this season . So I will grow what I have and watch and wait ,as always .
It was too too hot today about 95 or 96 with the index..
Two hours this evening were beautiful until the mosquitoes came out .. still a nice summer here all in all so far ..

These two blooming today , can take the heat and sun , still not many of my of my efforts are grown in full all day sun .. Neither can all that many I have seem to take that all that well .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Rain here today mid 70's pretty nice except for mosquitoes ...
Black tree ants have been eating the pollen from the Dalily anthers , between daylight and sunup . always something I guess . lol

It bloomed today , I will try joining a bloom thread when I get doubles ..lol

Thumbnail by juhur7
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

We actually got some rain this weekend!! It is still very dry, but every little bit helps!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

90°f and no rain yet!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

It's been pretty pleasant today, just a sprinkling of rain and 80 degrees.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

We have had rain off and on since Wednesday! It rained extremely hard last night and we were without power for several hours. It was still sprinkling rain this morning. I don't know how much we have gotten - but at least a couple of inches - maybe more. The burn bans are all lifted and it has been a welcome sight for the end of July. It has cooled off temps and is a great break from the heat and drought!

We have a wedding to attend today. My daughter is maid of honor in her friend's wedding. I am sure they would have preferred dry weather - but I am thankful for the rain.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Genna

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Only 70 but extremely humid today. 87% humidity and rain predicted for today and tomorrow.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

It is midnight here, and when I took the dogs out a few minutes ago, temp was 76 and humidity was 96%. Can you say STICKY?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

It actually got chilly last night. My house was cold. Supposed to only be 69 today.

Wyoming, MN

Touch of Fall here the last two nights. Temps into low 50's last night. The daylilies have not opened completely in the coolness.

Gary

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cool here today , I will take it anytime , beautiful summer about now .!!!
The nicest cloudy light breeze 70 degrees you could have ,,now here
56 TONIGHT , and this morning ,, lightly brrr ..

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Same here, fall like weather for the last couple of days. Probably won't hit 70 today either.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Past few days have been in the low 80s with blessedly low humidity. Before that it was HOT and STICKY! I have not been getting a whole lot of work done in the yard. Been trying, but can only do so much in these kinds of conditions.

I had a daylily sale at my house the past couple of weekends, and I did very well. I will be having one more this Saturday, and that will be if for the year. Daylilies will be done soon. Most already are. Some late bloomers are putting on a show. Every year I wish for more late bloomers, and each year I add a few more. Eventually I'll have quite a few.

juhur7, you made a daylily using plant cells in a bottle? You mean like tissue culture, where they clone plant cells to get more of the same cultivar?

Here's a pic of STARSTRUCK.

Karen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Karen; That is a pretty flower !!!
Hot days in afternoon here , cool evenings and nights , difficult to get use to ..
Yes , the avatar ..made that while I was not doing much a few years ago .. forgot how , but I remember the parents ..

Same about late bloomers , nice to have them isn't it !!!

This message was edited Aug 1, 2013 11:05 PM

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks! Yes, it sure is nice to have late bloomers. the same can be said of the early ones, but even more so with the late ones, cause of the end of the season there's not much in bloom, whereas at the beginning of the season there are a lot of late spring / early summer flowers in bloom.

Karen

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

That Starstruck is gorgeous!

It rained here again on Wednesday..... not a lot, but any is welcome! I still have little puddles in a couple of places in my yard. VERY usual for this time of year. It has been very muggy most days but the temps have been around 92-94 - also unusual for us for July, early August, but SOOO much better than this time last year when it was 110!! It is slightly cloudy again today so we might get another shower before the day is over.

I have a technical question for you all. I think I told ya'll that I will be losing my job, and my husband is already working 100 miles away. I would say it is almost 100% definite that we will be moving. :( I am going to have the opportunity to transfer to a town about 60 miles away, but probably not until sometime between June 1 and Sept 1 of 2014. We have a few things to do to our house, but then it will probably be put up for sale. It might sell quickly because of the school district it is in..... but there is no way to know. So, would you suggest trying to pot up the DLs I intend to move now? or in a couple of months? I am afraid if I wait and the house sells in October or November, that some might already be dormant? or especially if it was even later. Then there is the chance that I might still be living there next June when they will be blooming................. decisions, decisions,..... and this is just one of many. I wouldn't even doubt there being an obvious, in my face, answer, but I am so stressed out that I would NEVER see it!! So, if you can offer up suggestions on when you think it would be best to pot them up...... realizing they might be in the pot for a couple of years, I would appreciate it !!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

If their done blooming , pot them up ! Keep them cool and watered , routine for moving , not too much water though ,, you know ..

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Starstruk is a nice one Karen. Hoping for some rain tonight coming out of MN. 82°f todays high.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.